Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Seemiller Grip- thumb position..?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shoebox9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoebox9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seemiller Grip- thumb position..?
    Posted: 12/27/2006 at 2:22am

Hi All,

I'm messing around with the Seemiller grip and loving it so far.  The thumb position has me confused however.

I've read that looping underspin on the b/h is easier if you move your thumb around to the back of the blade, and I know of players who keep their thumb permanently on the back- on the opposite edge to the forefinger, because they say it improves their b/h loops.

So, the classic grip (thumb around handle) allows twiddling, but at some cost to backhand loops and lifts...?  I'd rather have a strong back hand than be able to twiddle, so am thinking of keeping my thumb on the back all the time (ie forefinger and thumb make a V shape).

As this grip is virtually unheard of in Australia (part of the reason I want to use it), I'd appreciate any advice here.

Optimum Sync
Tango 2.0
Magna 2.0
Energy Glue
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2006 at 7:55am
Its the wrong approach to try to conform. The whole point of the seemuller grip is inventiveness. So you should do what feels natural to you, making sure you can make both surfaces available on both sides of yr body for whatever strokes are good for you. However I think there are some players in the forum who have their version of the seemuller and will give a more informed view than me.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2006 at 10:32am
Hi Shoebox,
     I put the thumb on the edge and first finger on the other edge making a Y.
I tried thumb around the handle but backhand suffered some. I also feel I have much better backhand loops and flicks with my grip. Just feels like I have more wrist travel and better feel for the blade that way.
     I can twiddle this way but feel it is a little faster and eaiser with thumb around the handle. With my grip I have had my thumb miss the edge on a twiddle. Thats why I only use it on a shot coming from away from the table that gives me more time. Example: someone returning my loop from away from the table.
     As far as being unheard of in Australia, it is similar here. Well, people hear about it but I am usually a source of interest when they see the grip. Whats fun is to see people trying it after the tournement, usually ones that I beat. LOL.
     One guy didn't even realize I had anti on the other side. He was at his first tourney and I spent some time telling him about rubbers and such.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic