Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

using 2 different setups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pm71 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pm71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using 2 different setups
    Posted: 10/03/2021 at 5:15pm
Hi All,
I use 2 blades, one has great control, less speed and more dwell time. I use it against defenders because I'm not able to attack every ball. I mostly alternate attack and placement.
The second blade has less dwell time and is better for active block and power topspin, so I use it against non/defenders. Rubbers: Yasaka Rakza 7 / Andro Rasanter R47 on slower blade, Donic S3 on the faster.
What do you think? Is it valid strategy or should I pick 1 setup and train only with it?

Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2021 at 6:05pm
I also carry 2 setups to the training, but both are similar.
Both blades ALC, same FH rubber and two types of Hurricanes in BH.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by pm71 pm71 wrote:

... should I pick 1 setup and train only with it?

YES

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2021 at 7:29pm
It's table tennis, not golf.  You will improve faster if you pick a blade.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2021 at 8:57am
Only two???
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Only two???
Well, to follow golf analogy from the above, you should have no more than 14 paddles in your bag. Smile
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Only two???
Well, to follow golf analogy from the above, you should have no more than 14 paddles in your bag. Smile

Not a problem. Usually have at least 4 in my bag, but often will have more. Not sure I have put 14 in it, but that would be very easy to do. Only used 3 last weekend at club play.
Tisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2021 at 12:12pm

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Only two???

Not a problem. Usually have at least 4 in my bag, but often will have more. Not sure I have put 14 in it, but that would be very easy to do. Only used 3 last weekend at club play.

I have to agree with Baal.   The total number of rackets you must have is ALWAYS  N+1 where N is the current number of rackets  you have.

But seriously you must have at least 2 identical rackets since the rules require you to use an identical racket if your racket in use in a match breaks.  Identical means same blade, same rubbers (& same speed glue & same booster OuchAngryEmbarrassedCryWinkShocked

Edited by Tisch - 10/05/2021 at 12:20pm
pm71 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pm71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 7:40am
Hi guys, thanks for your replies :)

but still I'm not convinced...

Let's say, you mostly play against players using normal/pimple-in rubbers and you can play your own style.
Then, if you play against a chopper (long pimples, chopping on top spin...) your style should change: top spin is slower but with much more arc/spin, you probably do not attack every ball but vary your strokes (positioning the ball, dropshots...)
So, what's wrong using a setup that is more suitable for that style?
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by pm71 pm71 wrote:

Hi guys, thanks for your replies :)

but still I'm not convinced...

Let's say, you mostly play against players using normal/pimple-in rubbers and you can play your own style.
Then, if you play against a chopper (long pimples, chopping on top spin...) your style should change: top spin is slower but with much more arc/spin, you probably do not attack every ball but vary your strokes (positioning the ball, dropshots...)
So, what's wrong using a setup that is more suitable for that style?

Let me break this to you gently -Like most of us, you will never be world champion material.

You will never need TT to provide you with income, that is, you will never be a top professional.

Having said all that, do anything you please. Experiment with bats, rubbers etc.
Just enjoy all the vagaries, features and friends in the sport. It's a lifetime way of life, live it.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 7:07pm
Using 2 different setups might not be recommended but players who switch equipment atleast once a year are used to different setups faster. After 20 years of table tennis I can say i play just as well with double inverted as double short pips  I can switch to short pips dependimg on the opponent after having used them extensively for 2 years. I recommend to try different stuff once in a while because I know a lot of players who stuck with one rubber or blade for so long that they cant use anything else. That could be a problem once your rubber or blade becomes unavailable.
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 9:30pm
Oh @Skyline, did you change back to double inverted mate?

To the OP: carry and train with as many as you like. As long as you don't get anxiety deciding which set up to play on any day.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 10:20pm
Plus, you can't switch rackets during a match, unless your original is damaged.

Yes, someone tried that on me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic