FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

When to get a faster blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to get a faster blade?
    Posted: 10/10/2021 at 5:27pm
For the average amateur player, can it be said that:

If you lose more points from mistakes in serve receive, the short game and hitting balls off the end then you should consider getting a slower blade or at least sticking with what you have.

Only when you lose most points because other players close to your level hit the ball past you/ outplay you in rallies, that is when a faster blade might actually help you get better results. 

Is it this simple?

Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

If you lose more points from mistakes in serve receive, the short game and hitting balls off the end then you should consider getting a slower blade or at least sticking with what you have.

Only when you lose most points because other players close to your level hit the ball past you/ outplay you in rallies, that is when a faster blade might actually help you get better results. 

Is it this simple?

"Is it this simple?" . IMO, Look at it from another perspective.

The clue is in your sentence "If you lose more points from mistakes....". A mistake is a mistake. Even MaLong makes mistakes. Changing one's equipment is not going to correct a mistake during a match. Reducing the frequency of those mistakes comes from gaining experience from practice with other players, competitive play, and guidance/training from coaches. 

However, a player, if he's of the mindset to experiment with equipment, let him do so. It's part of the fun of being an amateur player.
In this particular case, there are numerous threads on this forum on the advantages/disadvantages of whatever equipment is chosen. Have funSmile
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Jackcerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackcerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2021 at 6:32pm
I think you should use slower and softer rubbers before hard and fast rubbers until you stop making unforced errors. After you stop making unforced errors you can start to consider a faster equipment
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Is it this simple?

I think it's simpler than this.  Just pick something reasonably fast, not too fast, and enjoy the journey. Once you hit a certain level, you will know what you need in your setup. At that point playing with a certain blade vs another blade, or changing rubbers won't make that big of a difference. 
Da Gravedigga View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Gravedigga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2021 at 2:50am
When your “club-nemesis” has 0 problems stone cold “stank-blocking” your most perfectly struck loop-kills. Disapprove
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2021 at 4:08am
Why do you need a faster racket? The only reason you should change rackets is if the racket does something you do not like.  Timo Boll plays with an insanely fast racket.  Most of the CNT plays with a medium speed racket.  I know a 2500+ looper who plays with a slow wood racket. 

Write down what you like about your racket and what you do not like and then go from there. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Da Gravedigga Da Gravedigga wrote:

When your “club-nemesis” has 0 problems stone cold “stank-blocking” your most perfectly struck loop-kills. Disapprove

Sounds more like you need some variation in that case
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2021 at 6:39pm
I think some points to consider (all IMO):
1. How often do you play? The more often you play, the more one can handle a faster blade.
2. Do you want win points fast or do you want extended points?
3. How old are you or what kind of shape you are in or mobility wise? Older players or those who want to win points quickly very well may want a faster blade/setup.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by Da Gravedigga Da Gravedigga wrote:

Sounds more like you need some variation in that case
Not necessarily
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2021 at 8:59pm
The distance you play from the table is a factor.  Typically you want a faster blade the farther you play from the table.  You may also want a faster blade if you use slower rubber, like DHS H3.  My coach recommends playing with max-thickness rubber if you're a looper (e.g., moving from 1.9 to 2.1 Tenergy would increase speed without changing blade).  
DHS ML5 (W968), Hurricane 3, Dignics 09c
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2021 at 1:10am
You should not have started with a slow blade in the 1st place so the question is moot IMHO.

OK this is a joke, I just like faster because I'm getting older.
NA1NSXR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NA1NSXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2021 at 1:53am
I've watched table tennis evolve since the 1980's and I've basically concluded that the speed of the equipment has nothing to do with skill level.  Every player is going to have a speed of racket that will feel most natural to them, giving them the maximum consistency they are capable of.  The key is to find this racket and stick with it indefinitely or only make small changes rarely.  This will maximize consistency and predictability...but the ideal speed is different to each person.

Whenever I borrow a racket I have trouble with rackets that are both significantly faster and slower than what I use personally.  The slower racket doesn't give me any more "control" or consistency, it messes me up just as much as a "too-fast" racket.

And if we must talk about pros - almost no pros use the absolute fastest equipment, and with few exceptions, almost none have changed the speed of their equipment significantly mid-career since I've been watching TT off VHS tapes.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2021 at 5:00am
   BLACK BURNED WOOD.

https://revspin.net/blade/xvt-nano-carbo-40-plus.html

THE black veneers are made with an advanced woodworking technology, by turning natural wood into carbonic substance. The making process is know as "non-oxigen burning of organics at 200 Celsius degrees".

SUPER FAST BOUNCE ON IMPACT..
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2021 at 6:01am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

You should not have started with a slow blade in the 1st place so the question is moot IMHO.

OK this is a joke, I just like faster because I'm getting older.

But I never did begin with a slow setup, my blade journey to date, starting 8 years ago: Yinhe T11+ -> TBS -> Allplay -> Violin (only counting blades I had played with for a decent length of time)

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2021 at 10:29am
Maybe one factor is whether your movement can keep up with the speed the ball will come back with off your faster blade?  

Anybody can use the fastest blade in a controlled situation like a robot or a one-point multiball feed.  You would just adapt to it. But when you have to move, if you can't get to the spot in the time before the ball comes back, your blade is too fast.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic