Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fast Sticky rubber for BH?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fast Sticky rubber for BH?
    Posted: 01/20/2022 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by yoyoman yoyoman wrote:

I have played for years with sticky Chinese rubbers.
A little bit more expensive than the one you mentioned is DHS Hurricane 3 or Hurricane 8 is a slightly better quality than the one you mentioned.
Both of these not to fast and sticky. Another alternative is Sanwei or Yinhe all cheap and reasonably good quality. 
As China has more than 50 million people playing table tennis. You can buy it easily from websites like Ali Express.
Good luck with choosing. 
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, it's quite interesting turning to slower rubbers from the D05 I have been playing with. Being able to return and spin very strongly both on counter and opening is good for me. Cheers GZ
Sponsored Links

yoyoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoyoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2022 at 1:27pm
I have played for years with sticky Chinese rubbers.
A little bit more expensive than the one you mentioned is DHS Hurricane 3 or Hurricane 8 is a slightly better quality than the one you mentioned.
Both of these not to fast and sticky. Another alternative is Sanwei or Yinhe all cheap and reasonably good quality. 
As China has more than 50 million people playing table tennis. You can buy it easily from websites like Ali Express.
Good luck with choosing. 
Jeff
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2022 at 1:13pm
I've just tried 729 Battle 2 with booster from a friend of a friends blade. It's actually quite interesting both on being grippy/tacky and also lower weight with pretty good speed...

There seems quite a few versions of it on the 729 site mind....

Any ideas of if there is any main differences at all?

GZ
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2022 at 2:19pm
We are on the same page.

For what its worth I can twiddle an old t05 and my newish H2 relatively easy... the only difference is you can't as you say brush the ball... 

Slightly off topic.  Although I used T05 on both sides when I was playing my best over 10 years ago, just before that I was playing my best too with 05 on my FH and 

Solcion BTF on my backhand.  Man I won a lot of points on my service return because my strokes looked super spinny but had almost no topsin on them.  People would constantly do their 3rd ball into the net.  But of course if I served heavy backspin they would push and I would loop it back heavy topspin.... so much more variation.  If they did return it I would punch the hell out of it back with my carbon blade.

Tacky is much more 1 dimensional in my opinion.  

So many possibilities in TT, 

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
LongLips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongLips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2022 at 5:38am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

There's more to it than that Longlips.

Changing to tacky takes away your ability to punch the ball as easily and quickly.  (many players use SP or non-tacky to increase the speed of the backhand)  

We can't always equate looping with 'better'.  For me punching flat & driving the ball is an active and well timed winner shot.  (I can't punch it with my hurricane 2 nor would I bother since it is tacky and slow)

Thanks for the great input Boz. And I didn't mean to imply that punching and blocking aren't effective or are somehow inferior to looping; it's more that until now the way my backhand technique has developed is as more of a hitting stroke, and so I want to be able to develop a more brushy and loopy capability. While I do enjoy looping and top/sidespin shots the most, I don't plan on abandoning more punching shots completely. I think I will even go back to a euro rubber for BH anyway given the space limitations etc., I am just interested in a tacky rubber as a tool to give my feeling for brushing a boost. As it is so often recommended for the forehand (and in my experience, was effective), I find it interesting that it's less commonly done for the BH
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2022 at 11:59am
h3 37 commercial with 3 layers seamoon booster. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2022 at 2:36pm
There's more to it than that Longlips.

Changing to tacky takes away your ability to punch the ball as easily and quickly.  (many players use SP or non-tacky to increase the speed of the backhand)  

We can't always equate looping with 'better'.  For me punching flat & driving the ball is an active and well timed winner shot.  (I can't punch it with my hurricane 2 nor would I bother since it is tacky and slow)

I use H2 on my backhand because it loops really well from all distances when boosted.  As long as my eyes don't deceive me about where the ball is, I can do a winning spinny fast loop.

My forehand is opposite, it just is so poor that using any time of Hurricane makes it terrible to do anything but serve, push, side spin fade, fish the ball up from close to the ground with top spin and lob with lots of spin.  Basically, I can't attack or block as well.  Hence I am going to get non-tacky for my FH because I do have to cover more ground with it where I reach to get to a ball and don't have a chance to be active and if it is tacky that will either be a slow return or not get to the table...

Finally, this is why I believe offensive equipment 'fast rubbers and blades' are often better at defending.  You can return balls from further back from the table and block more effectively (faster making it harder on your opponent).

Giving your opponent a slow ball allows them to attack.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
LongLips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongLips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2022 at 4:24am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

The two sided problem... promoting active strokes always vs it is not always possible to do an active shot if you don't have time to find the right place where they will hit the ball too.  The passive blocks not by choice but necessity are weaker and slower...

I've recently been battling with this very issue, do you think it could be a worthwhile strategy to develop BH technique and feel?

For the past few years I've played with H3 on FH and tensor on BH, but I feel like I've never developed the same feel for spin and brushing on BH as I have on FH. My first setup was tensor both sides, and when I initially switched from tensor to tacky on my FH I felt like my technique and feel for topspin improved hugely, so just recently I bought a new setup with h3 on FH and another tacky on BH (yinhe mercury 2), hoping to develop my BH in the same manner. I'm fine with seeing a short term drop in BH performance if it means my BH will get stronger in the long term, I'm not playing in leagues right now. But do people think this could actually work as a way to level-up my technique by forcing myself to play bigger fuller strokes, or should I just stick with tensor on BH (as I probably will switch back to it at some stage)?

Edited by LongLips - 01/13/2022 at 4:25am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 3:12pm
The two sided problem... promoting active strokes always vs it is not always possible to do an active shot if you don't have time to find the right place where they will hit the ball too.  The passive blocks not by choice but necessity are weaker and slower...

Will be interested to see what any of your regular opponents will say about your backhand in games.  

My prediction is that the ball comes to them much slower and shorter on the table.  If you have backhand serves with a focus on creating spin you should get some free points though.  
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 8:04am
35 degrees, unboosted btw
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2022 at 8:01am
my h3-50 came and as far as tacky rubber, it's the best I've used on the bh

granted o7euro is still better but i may be willing to use the h3-50 instead because it rewards an active stroke. for the euro even the block is so fast it promotes laziness to me
waingro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waingro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2022 at 6:36pm
Yinhe Jupiter 3 37deg is faster than any of the Hurricanes mentioned here, and no need to boost. 
Chillgurke View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillgurke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2022 at 12:50pm
DHS H8-80 37/38 or H3 Neo 37 with 1 layer haifu seamon are quite fast on a carbon blade (Viscaria or H301). Not as fast as ESN or BTY rubbers ... but much more controlled in short play and opening loops. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2022 at 4:33pm
Because H3-50 35 is so soft it is really really easy to stretch the hell ouf of it when boosted.  The harder rubbers put up too much resistance and try to peal back more.  I basically can trim almost 2 cm off the top once boosted.  Making the density even less and therefore the cracking into the wood much louder.

Still I find you need to stay at the table with H3-50 because you can't loop further back.  (you can hit it back)

Where as the H2 or 8 you can still loop far back from the table and they can loop at the table... making them more versatile but crappy for blocking and punching and smashing.

I have spent a long time with all 3 varieties on different blades, and will probably only ever buy Hurricane 2 again since it is the cheapest and performs about the same as H8.

I only just saw a page I can get H2 38 degrees.  I want that one next, sounds like the perfect hardness.  
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2022 at 6:21am
Originally posted by aerial aerial wrote:

i thought h8-80 was much more livelier than h3 37 deg on the bh

that being said, esn on the bh is much easier with the catapult. although i am waiting for a sheet of h3-50 to try on the bh just to see how it is

This is a one good choice, especially with 35 degree hardness for the backhand.

I personally am in love with h3-50 35 degree. Boosted or not, it is pleasant to use on the backhand side. I already have a sheet prepared to replace heavily boosted Yinhe Earth 2 on my spare blade (I have a spare blade with inverted both sides just in case some friends needed some private training session) 
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2021 at 1:30pm
i thought h8-80 was much more livelier than h3 37 deg on the bh

that being said, esn on the bh is much easier with the catapult. although i am waiting for a sheet of h3-50 to try on the bh just to see how it is
GrayGhost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2021 at 9:27pm
H3N 37 Pro boosted is pretty fast.

H8-80 37 is probably a touch faster with a nice tacky top sheet.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2021 at 8:38pm
I'm just getting into boosting with Baby oil and found Hurricane 2 40 degrees is fast and sticky on my backhand.

$21 AUD a sheet. 10c in oil.  super domed and high tension after 3 applications.

A bit hard for most people as a backhand rubber still I would imagine.  But you could try the 39 degrees or Hurricane 8... probably wouldn't boost anything under 37 degrees though.

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2021 at 8:15pm
Looking for a fast Sticky rubber for backhand.. or a light weight sticky rubber with less speed which will react to heavy boosting very well. To increase the speed. 

Any suggestions at all most welcome. 

Edited by ghostzen - 12/22/2021 at 8:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic