Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Eucrasia review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Eucrasia review
    Posted: 01/14/2022 at 6:41pm
So I got this blade because of 4 reasons. First I think the name of the blade is really cool. Eucrasia: to me it suggests Europe + Asia, so my expectation was a blade that combines European and Asian play style in one. This I think is a great message since both style of game has their advantage and there are some European players who were trained in EU style but Asian style of play would suit them better. I consider myself one of those players. I do love both DHS blades like Fang Bo carbon and blades that have either Hinoki outer wood or Viscaria type blades which many EU players use as well.
Second reason was that it is 6.3mm thick. I used to play with a Primorac Carbon and I loved it, if you have a good day that blade is a beast. Problem is that not every day you have a good day and on bad days it can punish you real bad. So I played with many blades but I always had this 6.0mm thickness in my head that it grants the minimum stiffness in a blade that I like. I did play a lot with TB Spirit before and I really like it but on backhand I always felt that thicker blades are more reliable.
Third reason is that the designer of the blade (Oscar) seems like a really straight up guy. I've been reading some of his posts on mytt and he's not giving any foggy bullshit about his products, no marketing BS. He is not like BTY nor ESN and to me that is honest and creditable.
Fourth reason is that the blade is made in China. Sure I hear you why is that a positive reason? Well, I really enjoy Chinese blades. I think they make the best playing blades. I have absolutely loved my Fang Bo X carbon blade, I have a Yinhe Viscaria golden edition clone that is a great Viscaria copy, better than many actual Viscaria blades. Sure their handles are rough and not that precisely manufactured as BTY (or some other brands), but their blade part is in my opinion superior to most brands, even BTY!

I bought the blade from TT11 and it arrived quickly so kudos to those guys. After receiving it I noticed a few things. The weight of the blade was measured and there was a sticker on the box and the handle with the weight. It's a small thing but helps the store owner in case the buyer calls for a specific weight. Now my copy had 85g written on it, and I measured it to be 82.5g. My theory is not that their scale is broken but they adjust to weight after use. The handle will absorb some moisture and the weight will increase. Actually mine now is 84g, so if this was the intention then kudos for going the extra distance and forecasting the weight after use.

After further inspecting the blade composition is Koto-Ayous-White ALC-Kiri-White ALC-Ayous-Koto. To me this is really a weird composition, so far not many makers have been using this. Koto inner ALC stlye blade with Kiri core is rather unusual, maybe the DHS 301 is something like this but for sure not in 6.3mm thickness. Also the recent Stiga Inspira and Cybershape is similar too but they don't have ALC as far as I know.
Now this sounds like a hard and stiff blade just by the composition but it is only stiff. It feels rather soft despite the koto surface. I would say it's due to an unusually soft ayous 2nd layer. I have been playing before with an Innerforce ZLC blade which is rather thin 5.7mm and has limba surface and ayous as 2nd layer. But the innerforce ZLC felt slower and duller due to the limba surface but at the same time the 2nd layer of ayous didn't feel soft at all, it was rather hard. Compared to that the Eucrasia is really elastic, but at the same time the koto surface has this crisp feeling too. Before I was not just mentioning Primorac Carbon by mistake. That blade has a rather thick hinoki surface layer that is soft and bouncy and a bit dull. Now the Eucrasia gives me similar vibes to hinoki just that it's not dull, it's very crisp and soft, I would say it's a crisp hinoki feeling.
So it holds the ball rather well, like a Viscaria or TB ALC, but also it's elastic as a hinoki top surface but has the crisp nature of koto.
The core of the blade is very dense. I have tried a ton of Viscaria, TB ALC and similar blades, some feel really hollow, especially the light ones. My Eucrasia is quite light but feels very solid, no hollow feeling at all. The core is extremely solid and quite stiff too.
The previously mentioned holding effect is very nice combined with bouncy rubbers. I use it with D09c on FH and D64 on BH. Now D09c works with everything on FH, it is a fantastic rubber, but D64.... boy that is a different monster. For D64 you need soft and elastic and stiff blade since it's quite unforgiving even for the minuscule blade flexing that occurs during normal play. However the softness and holding ability gives D64 some great control and at the same time the rubber is really bouncy. I think it's a great combo with this blade. I have been suffering a lot more with my Innerfoce ZLC since that blade likes to flex a lot and despite it's slower than Eucrasia the flex just makes my control more uncontrollable.

Also what I noticed that Eucrasia is really good for loop killing and rally play. I really enjoy both Fang Bo X carbon and Innerfoce ZLC for rally play and loop killing since they grip the ball well even if they are not so fast as a Viscaria. But the Eucrasia gave me better amount of grip and more speed too. Like hinoki has much more surface grip than koto normally, but in this case it's really similar. Very good for hard shots, despite being stiff it lifts the ball well, which is also needed for D64 on BH! For D09c it doesn't matter to be honest you can use piece of steel and it will work well...
More on to rally play. Eucrasia is really good. It gives me the same amount if not more rally confidence as Innerforce ZLC but with the speed of Viscaria. DHS Fang Bo carbons are basically the same as the Ma Long series which are created for rally play. Eucrasia feels superior in all distances, but especially close to the table. But even from back it has more speed so I would consider it superior.

Regarding quality I have pointed out that the blade itself is excellent. I have no complaints or even remarks on that part. My gripe is with the handle. So I am not sure who is the OEM of Nexy. Is it DHS, Yinhe, 729 or some bloke/gal who was working for these companies before but started his or her own business in China? I do now know but I would really love to know and I would even sign a non-disclosure agreement to know this. As all reputable Chinese blades the blade surface is excellent. Gluing, the artificial part and the sanding of the sharp edges is great.
The handle has a rough surface, but I actually like this since it grips in my hand better than smooth finishes. I got the FL handle and it is abit too thin to my immediate liking. I really enjoy the DHS Fang Bo FL handle shape that is thin at the neck but gets drastically thicker at the end of the handle. I would recommend Nexy to use this design as it is more versatile. If they ever chose to update the Eucrasia with the DHS Fang Bo or H301 handle shape give me a shout I would love to buy or re-test.
Also the aluminium Nexy "lens" is not totally flush with the handle and at the bottom of the handle the Nexy lens is not totally flat, but whatever... These don't influence the use of the blade at all.

As final words I think the Nexy Eucrasia nailed it with the Europe + Asia style in one blade. In one hand it's as great as a DHS Fang Bo or Ma Long 5 blade for aggressiveness and rally play and on the other hand it as fast as a Viscaria or TB ALC for a killing shot and it has that soft hinoki grip and feeling too while being very stiff and light. On just a rather side note the sound of the blade while hitting is a bit different than usual. I noticed this type of sound with the Stiga Carbonado 290 which I used a few years ago. It was weird at fist but it's totally fine.

I know Oscar reads these forums and posts some useful info so I would love to hear what he says about my findings and what were his goals during design of the blade.

For rubber pairing I would say for FH get spin oriented one: Tenergy 05 Hard, Mantra, D09c, from ESN I'm not sure but get a tacky and light one. I would say H3 is possibly a great choice as the blade is fast. BH side get something really bouncy and light. D64, T64, I guess Rasanter V47 and Joola Rhyzer 48 would be not bad. I haven't tried Nexy's rubbers but their Etika seems promising. I think it's the same manufacturer as Stiga's Mantra but with upgraded sponge and topsheet. It could be excellent for both sides if they are as good as people claim. Rozena would work on both sides for sure.

Last but not least some pics of my blade. Sorry but my phones camera is not that great. I didn't use my old LG G5 which has a great camera...

Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic