Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS 4002 upgrade - looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS 4002 upgrade - looking for advice
    Posted: 06/22/2022 at 6:06am
Hi All,

I am looking for advice on upgrading.

I currently use a DHS 4002 with Hurricane 3 (Forehand) and G888 (Backhand). A pre-purchased bat as I was returning to play after many years.
I would like to change and am looking for something similar - I probably don't need to but I want a new bat!

So 2 questions.

How would the DHS 4002 be described - allround, allround +, offensive - ?

What sort of blade would anyone recommend as the next upgrade? I have seen a couple that look good, but have not been able to try them as none of my playing partners use them - these are: Stiga Classic Allround, Yasaka Sweden Extra and Yasaka Allround Plus - but I am happy to consider any suggestions.

My style of play is pretty much forehand loop, backhand block and if truth be told when under pressure I just flat hit hard!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sponsored Links

igorigor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote igorigor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2022 at 8:00am
Here are detailed review:  DHS 4002 Premade Racket Review (2022) • Racket Insight
Maybe you´ll find an idea.
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2022 at 8:21am
igorigor
Thank you for the review. It is not one I have seen and answers my first question. I can agree about the fishy smell from the bat, but I think it comes from the handle rather than the rubber. I seem to be lucky too, I have a bat that does not suffer the quality issues the one in the article had.
I don't like the G888 on the backhand side too, but I thought it was just me. At one stage I swapped to using the Hurricane 3 on the backhand. I am not sure I want to change the rubber I would rather get a new blade.
So a follow up question.
What do you think of my choices as alternatives blades above? Or would you suggest another blade?
What would be a good alternative to G888 on the backhand given I do mainly block on my backhand but do like to hit close to the table when I can?
I would say I am an intermediate player just about to start league play in the lower leagues.
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2022 at 8:37am
How long have you been using the 4002?  I started with one for a year or so, then went to a DHS PG7,  which is a 7 ply based on the Stiga Clipper.  It was a good choice, not too different from the 4002. Sells for around £20 on Aliexpress.  Keep the H3 and put a lighter less tacky rubber on BH, and you should be good for lower leagues.

The other blades you mention are all good, but you may find they feel a little insubstantial compared to the 4002, if used with the same rubbers.  

And remember, a statement, as in that review, that a bat is better because it is lighter, is not a statement of fact, but of personal preference.
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2022 at 10:55am
Many thank darucia
I've had the 4002 for about 5 months now. It took me a while to get used to it as I haven't played for a long time so I was also having to get back into my tt at the same time.
My friends say it is heavy, which it is compared to theirs, but I am comfortable with it.
I like the H3 on the FH, but I find with the G888 the ball sits up a lot, this may be me though.
What would be your suggestion for an alternative to G888?
When you say my choices for blades are insubstantial do you mean they are not hard enough? The bats I have been looking at are allround or off -? The 4002 seems to be off - too, or is it because it is 7 ply and the others are not?
I like your suggestion of the DHS PG7, I hadn't heard of it, but it gets very good reviews, although it is difficult to get here in the uk - I haven't seen any uk shops who stock it. The Stiga Clipper is around £65 - 70 which is a bit more than I want to pay at the moment.
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2022 at 1:02pm
I found that putting H3 on a 5 ply, notably the Stiga All Round Classic,  gave me an impression that it was about to break.  Obviously, it didn't, but just felt that way to me.  The 7 ply blades feel more sturdy.  I am quite happy using H3 on a 5 ply blade now.

A lot of rubbers will be lighter. Bear in mind that the 4002 is a little over-sized, and you will cut the rubber down on most (not all) blades, so automatically lighter. If you check out Revspin https://revspin.net/rubber/, the relative weights of rubbers are shown.  Whilst I wouldn't take any of the opinions expressed in the reviews without a large pinch of salt, the weights should be OK.  Or if you are using a local dealer, ask what they would recommend.  Gold Arc 5, which is an ESN (Germany) made rubber for DHS, will be lighter for instance.  There is really no reason not use Aliexpress,  for Chinese products.  It's very simple, although since Brexit, they show prices without VAT, which will be added at checkout. 

Just don't go down the equipment rabbit hole at this stage.  It is far more important to play a lot, and if possible, get some coaching.  The best player in my summer league uses the cheapest rubbers he could find (although he has a ZJK composite blade as a relic of the days when he worried more about equipment.)  
brands77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brands77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2022 at 1:40pm
Darucia
Thank you for the great advice.
Yes, I could easily go down the equipment rabbit hole, but luckily there is way too much for me to learn now. For example, have no idea what rubber hardness degrees mean. I haven't got the time to learn it and at my ability I am pretty sure it isn't going to make a difference to my game. But playing is.
I was just getting a bit fed up with my backhand sitting up and also wondering why everyone who picked up my bat said it was heavy. So had that nagging feeling that it might not be helping.
I did check out Alipexpress and the prices are good - it seems to be reliable from the reviews as well.
I'm going to ask around a bit more and if I go for a DHS PG7 will post here and let you know.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic