Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help for Equipment Selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ruinex View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruinex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help for Equipment Selection
    Posted: 07/03/2022 at 5:41am
Hello everyone,

Around 2 years ago I wanted to start playing table tennis again after a long break. I had my first ever custom racket to play with but it hadn't been used for such long time that it lost its features such as tackiness. I used to enjoy the game because of the element of spin, especially the forehand-backhand loop rallies that are loaded with heavy spin made me fall in love with the game. I was able to create a lot of spin with my old racket but as I pointed out, the rubbers lost their tackiness. Even though I tried to get the tackiness back with rubber cleaner sprays, the spin was not the same.

The rubbers and the blade on the racket was as follows: DHS Skyline TG2 Neo (used on forehand), DHS Skyline TG3 Neo (used on backhand), and the blade was Yinhe N10. 

I wanted to get the same rubbers while keeping the old blade but when I peeled off the rubbers, the blade was damaged even though I peeled off gently. Thus I wanted to get a better quality blade that I can use for very long time. After some research I decided on XIOM Stradivarius blade and also I wanted to try DHS Hurricane 2 neo as my new rubber since in the reviews people find it more spinny and tackier (since the official balls are changed to plastic balls, the spin that can be produced was lower compared to before but I love the spinny style thus I decided to change the rubber too). However, I had a very hard time trying to adjust to my new racket. The throw angle was soo high that it was almost impossible for me to use my full power to generate the highest spin possible, because the ball was just going too far. Back then with my old racket, my motion while hitting the ball was very upward, using most of my force to create the spin while keeping the ball close to net. I also felt like the Stradivarius blade had almost no feeling, as I had no idea how much spin there was on the ball during close-to-net touch game. Overall it was very hard for me to judge how much spin there was on the ball during a rally.

Now after another long break, I wanna start playing table tennis again and I know that I won't enjoy the game with my current racket since I can't play those spinny rallies with this one. Thus I need help from you guys to decide on my new equipments. I will list my preferences as following:

1) The blade should have a really good feeling since I noticed that I used to play with much more confidence knowing how much spin there is on the ball. Also the blade should have a long dwell time since I need some time before the ball goes off to generate some good quality spin. I prefer FL type handle and large blade surface for the rubbers.

2) I developed my playing style close to how chinese people play due to using tacky rubbers and mostly watching how they play, to learn the game. That's why I mostly play close to table, love countering the spin with forehand, and as rally progresses move back little bit for the forehand / backhand loops. I also love to generate lots of spin with my backhand too. That's why even though the trend was to use european medium hardness rubber on backhand, I was sticking to a tacky rubber on my backhand too (FH-BH both Hurricane 2 Neo). I know the fact that european rubbers are also capable of generating lots of spin but I loved the extra grippyness that the tackiness provides. It almost feels like the ball holds on to the rubber for a second and then you can use your wrist to give it a ton of spin.

I would be so pleased to receive some help from you guys to find the equipments that will suit my playing style. There are soo many equipments out there yet such little hands on game play reviews (or maybe I can't find them). Thank you all in advance Smile

Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2022 at 1:46pm
Just get a Viscaria, slap those H2/H3/TG2/TG3 on and call it a day.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2022 at 7:40am
Search for our forum friend from Turkey - ZEON
He can help you with a good bat for sure and he is your compatriot.
Good luck!
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2022 at 7:50am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Just get a Viscaria, slap those H2/H3/TG2/TG3 on and call it a day.

Not sure what is the reason for this advice, but for your information TBS, TBALC ZLC and many more never worked well with me as these thin and light weight blades are far away the spirit of the past times.
Not sure how old you are, but the topic owner wrote clearly he has played in the past and retired, now started again. The blades from the past are more thick and heavy.
From these thin new blades only weight about 95-96 grams could be nice for him but as you know it is very hard to find such a blade.
If he has tried some Tamca Carbon in the past, he must know today's Tamca carbon blades are a little bit more harder and faster for sure. I think it is always OK for retired players to get some natural wood Mazunov OFF+ with 2.0 mm rubbers from ESN and then to play several months and get decision if it is ok for him or must change something. I have 3xViscaria S T and I use none of them, because they are 93 grams, but feel so light in my hand. Otherwise they have unique and best comfort handles. FL handle Viscaria never been comfy for me, so this advice buy Viscaria and call it a day doesn't works with everyone.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2022 at 7:02am
Just look where the same topic is going on TTD.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?27530-Need-Help-for-Blade-Selection

The OP "developed my playing style close to how chinese people play due to using tacky rubbers and mostly watching how they play, to learn the game." And the most popular setup in China is?
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic