Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New paddle suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sai23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sai23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New paddle suggestions
    Posted: 07/04/2022 at 12:56pm
A bit about me:

- Playing from many years for fun, recently joined a club to improve my technique and game

- Rating: Don't have an official one, consider myself an intermediate player (maybe ~1400 USATT)

- Style: All round, but want to develop a more offensive style.

Current setup (This one I got from the club, was suggested by staff over there.)

- Blade: Rosewood NCT VII

- FH: Sriver - D13-L (black)

- BH: Sriver - D13-L (red)

I like this current setup and have good control overall and very good short table control, good chop, and decent backhand (my bh is weak, but I could see some improvement working with a robot). But I am working on improving my forehand loop (& bh loop), this feels a bit on the slower side especially if I step back 1-2 meters, needs more effort for both spin and speed. Also, one thing to note is I got this used rubber, maybe it got much slower because of that too.

I wanted to upgrade a bit to a paddle with a bit more speed + spin. After a bit of research I was thinking of this setup:

New setup:

- Blade: Yasaka Sweden extra (or Timo bell ALC blade)

- FH: Yasaka Razka 7 2.0 mm

- BH: Yasaka Razka 7 soft 2.0 mm

1. Is this a good setup ? I plan to use this long-term until I improve my technique and game rating by a lot.

2. Given I was using a Rosewood blade which seems a bit faster than Yasaka Sweden extra, does it makes sense to switch to it or Timo bell ALC is much better here? I am okay with the extra price.

3. Any alternate suggestions for rubbers are welcome.
Sponsored Links

cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2022 at 1:12pm
You don't need to change your blade. If your bat is slow, change the rubbers and buy modern ones.
SDC custom st
FH G-1 max
BH Evolution FX-S 1.9
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2022 at 1:28pm
Rosewood NCT VII is a thick and stiff blade.

Sweden Extra is much less stiff.

Timo Boll ALC is somewhere between those.

Rakza 7 blows Sriver out of the water. It sounds funny but Sriver and Mark V were once state of the art until the early 2000s but are now considered beginner rubbers.

Overall, the flex of Sweden Extra w/ Rakza 7 is good for getting the basic strokes down, especially the feel of grabbing the ball. Once you get to a certain level, you will look more stiffness in the blade, and that's where Timo Boll ALC/Rosewood NCT VII come in.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
sai23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sai23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2022 at 1:49pm
Great, thanks for the suggestions.

I think Rakza 7 seems like a good option for me. In terms of the blade, should I stick to rosewood as I have already been playing with it? Or is it good to switch to YSE?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2022 at 1:58pm
Depends if you can "hit through" Rosewood NCT VII at this point. Hard to tell without videos.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2022 at 7:43pm
Rosewood NCT VII is much faster than Sweden extra.

Your paddle is slow mainly due to your rubbers. Sriver is probably only good for beginner that is learning the technique. 

Changing to a modern rubber is the way to go. Try it first before buying another blade. It is possible that you will buy another blade in the future, but no need to buy it yet. Ejing for different blades is you should try to avoid now. 
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2022 at 12:00pm
The Sweden Extra is fast enough with the right rubbers on it. I put some Andro GTT 45 max sponge on both sides and lend it out to those who are struggling with trying to control their too fast for them set-ups. Their improvement is almost immediate. Unfortunately, too many of these players think that they play better with a faster set up, so they go back to it and create reasons for why they miss too many shots.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic