Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is grip tape on the RUBBER legal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is grip tape on the RUBBER legal?
    Posted: 08/15/2022 at 1:09pm
I know it's legal on the handle, but is it legal on the rubber?  One of my issue playing Cpen is that my fingers get sweaty and they start slipping against the rubber.  I can wrap my fingers in grip tape every time I play, but it'd be easier if I could just tape it to the rubber.  The relevant rule appears to be this:

2.04.04 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material.

This is commonly used to justify putting grip tape on the handle, but shouldn't "any material" include regular rubber + grip tape?  I see pros often have that area sanded a bit, which if done on any other area would be illegal since it would run afoul of this rule:

2.04.07 Slight deviations from continuity of surface or uniformity of colour due to accidental damage or wear may be allowed provided that they do not significantly change the characteristics of the surface.

Sanding the area where the fingers touch is not accidental and the deviation is not slight, but it is allowed as an exception to this rule, presumably due to the first rule I quoted.  Shouldn't a grip tape thus be allowed as well?

Edited by dingyibvs - 08/15/2022 at 1:11pm
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2022 at 2:46pm
As long as you don't hit the ball with the grip tape, and I believe as long as you do not cover the ITTF logo and numbers box, it should be permissible to put grip tape wherever you need to for racket holding purposes.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2022 at 11:58pm
Technically I'd say it would not be legal, as the surface is no longer uniform...and how would be know if you accidentally hit the ball with the tape.

Clearly you're not doing it to get an advantage and it's very unlikely to affect play, so many umpires/referees may well allow it. I'd suggest you check with them before you start playing, so that you still have time to remove it.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2022 at 12:44am
Tbh nobody is gonna complain....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2022 at 1:43pm
Ma Lin used to sand his rubber and get away with it.
he argued that is for his fingers.

The contact area for the ball is obviously not on that sanded area.

What you can always do is request for permission/clearance, and maybe it will solve your problems
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic