Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - hitting with the edge of the racket intentionally
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

hitting with the edge of the racket intentionally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hitting with the edge of the racket intentionally
    Posted: 08/16/2022 at 12:47am
My practice partner started experimenting with this way of receiving serves and it produced the craziest balls (although it's also very unreliable!). Basically he would aim to hit the ball horizontally with the edge of the racket (not the rubber), and the outgoing ball is almost long pips like - there's no telling what sort of spin is on the ball! It could be anywhere from underspin to topspin to no-spin (just off a standard backspin serve). Has anyone tried making it an actual method of receive?!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2022 at 6:43am
question is about consistency. i doubt he will be able to do it many times in a tournament. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2022 at 4:58am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

question is about consistency. i doubt he will be able to do it many times in a tournament. 

Haha well it is not easy to target the edge but I mean there are some ppl who are highly precise with their strokes who would be able to do it at least as a surprise...
-------
Viscaria

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2022 at 7:42am
I have padded edge tape from aliexpress bc I smack the blade against the table a lot.  Receiving with it is too challenging, but serving with the edge is not super hard.  It makes a much faster long fast serve than using the proper rubber.  And I would imagine it's almost impossible to read.  Not that I have done it on purpose in matches, but it happens enough by accident of bad timing that I started messing around in serve practice.  Definitely easier to learn to serve with the edge than to hide the ball behind one's head ML style, so it's possible.  Desirable idk. 
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2022 at 10:19am
If it is intentionally, the umpire could call the shot bad and your friend would loose point.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

If it is intentionally, the umpire could call the shot bad and your friend would loose point.

How is the shot bad? I thought anything above the wrist is fair game.

Edited by blahness - 08/18/2022 at 9:14pm
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2022 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I have padded edge tape from aliexpress bc I smack the blade against the table a lot.  Receiving with it is too challenging, but serving with the edge is not super hard.  It makes a much faster long fast serve than using the proper rubber.  And I would imagine it's almost impossible to read.  Not that I have done it on purpose in matches, but it happens enough by accident of bad timing that I started messing around in serve practice.  Definitely easier to learn to serve with the edge than to hide the ball behind one's head ML style, so it's possible.  Desirable idk. 

Yeah the spin is completely unpredictable if you hit a serve using the edge Dead my friend actually tried that, it could be anywhere from mild backspin to mild topspin and looks exactly the same...
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 12:23am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

This is the same as a Jpen with no rubbers on the back, and not allowed to strike the ball with it.
Here is the extract from the handbook:

2.10.1.8 if an opponent strikes the ball with a side of the racket blade whose
surface does not comply with the requirements of 2.4.3, 2.4.4 and 2.4.5;

2.4.3 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either
ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness
including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with
pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of
not more than 4.0mm.

2.4.3.1 Ordinary pimpled rubber is a single layer of non-cellular rubber, natural
or synthetic, with pimples evenly distributed over its surface at a density
of not less than 10 per cm² and not more than 30 per cm².

2.4.3.2 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a single
outer layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled
rubber not being more than 2.0mm.

2.4.4 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or
adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even
thickness. Material suitable to shape a handle for holding the racket may be
added on.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 12:34am
A club player reaching plateau and trying to get an edge might try it for fun. Top players don't have time to train for that, their schedule is already full. It's all about how much time would need to be invested so it can be an asset and I feel like in a match under pressure, the failure rate would go up, cancelling the effort. The same is true for intermediate level club players btw. But it's fun to try and talk about it, also to place it sometimes in a match.

The back of the handle is another way that is maybe even easier to learn but the 😈 spirit is more exposed there. Next step from there is tag off, hard sponge for a tad more control and maybe long pips? LOL

This thread might increase by 8.52 to 10.13% the value of the average selling price of blades like the Joola R1 and the Swift 6 in the FS section Big smile

BYW the Swift 6 a.k.a the Dark Knight is 17mm thick, what is its frequency following our protocol? I imagine 2250hz but it could be more.

Mmmmhhh any value in challenging SDC to produce the highest frequency that presents under 100g, a 157x150mm head and is legal in tournaments?

Sorry....I didn't mean to hijack lol, just got carried away.

Edited by stiltt - 08/19/2022 at 12:35am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 12:39am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

A club player reaching plateau and trying to get an edge might try it for fun. Top players don't have time to train for that, their schedule is already full.

For top players who keep hitting the edge, the chance of the ball breaking is likely higher than the ball actually going in.
and when the ball breaks, it is a let call

So really, in my opinion a useless skill to learn (and invest time into)
however, for "Fun", I'm sure most pros are able to do rallies with almost anything - including edge of the blade. Even with a butter knife/spoon etc
spinworld View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 1:02am

This is the same as a Jpen with no rubbers on the back, and not allowed to strike the ball with it.

ZAPenholder,
You raise a valid issue here. However you are incorrect when you say a player cannot strike the ball with edges. It is legal.

You are right about Rule 2.10.1 but as far as I know (in fact I am pretty sure) it does does not cover edges or handle or any part of your body below the wrist. 

I am not even a beginner player but I know this because I was at a party and they were playing ping pong by the pool and two drunken women almost got into a big fight over this but there was this guy who said he umpired tournaments officially & cleared this up.  So I am no rules expert. 

You can strike the ball legally with your fingers of your racket hand
You can strike the ball legally with your back of your hand which is part of the hand below the wrist  of your racket hand 
You can strike the ball legally with fingers spread out over backside on a paint sheet, as long as the ball only touches the fingers & not the paint sheet below it. 

You can strike the ball legally with the racket handle.  

Only interesting question here is what happens if one plays a two handed stroke like in tennis. 
I have seem some ping pong players do this but it seemed sort of funny to me. 
I would tend to think the below the wrist rule still applies but to both hands LOL 

Yes I agree with you in that the rule seems funny regarding paint sheets not touching ball contradicting the below the wrist rule  

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 1:12am
Originally posted by spinworld spinworld wrote:

ZAPenholder,
You raise a valid issue here. However you are incorrect when you say a player cannot strike the ball with edges. It is legal.

You are right about Rule 2.10.1 but as far as I know (in fact I am pretty sure) it does does not cover edges or handle or any part of your body below the wrist. 

I am not even a beginner player but I know this because I was at a party and they were playing ping pong by the pool and two drunken women almost got into a big fight over this but there was this guy who said he umpired tournaments officially & cleared this up.  So I am no rules expert. 

You can strike the ball legally with your back of your hand which is part of the hand below the wrist  of your racket hand 
You can strike the ball legally with fingers spread out over backside on a paint sheet, as long as the ball only touches the fingers & not the paint sheet below it. 

Only interesting question here is what happens if one plays a two handed stroke like in tennis. 
I would tend to think the below the wrist rule still applies but to both hands LOL 

Yes I agree with you in that the rule seems funny regarding paint sheets not touching ball contradicting the below the wrist rule  

Please see my initial message:
If it is intentionally, the umpire could call the shot bad

The important part is "intentionally"

My understanding is, if it is intentional, then rule 2.10.1 would apply and the player would loose the point.

This is the same as Jpen backhand side with no rubbers on.

But then again, legal or not, useful skill or not, I wouldn't be training any one with it

Edited by ZApenholder - 08/19/2022 at 1:15am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 3:48am

Originally posted by spinworld spinworld wrote:

ZAPenholder,

Please see my initial message:
If it is intentionally, the umpire could call the shot bad

The important part is "intentionally"

My understanding is, if it is intentional, then rule 2.10.1 would apply and the player would loose the point.

This is the same as Jpen backhand side with no rubbers on.

But then again, legal or not, useful skill or not, I wouldn't be training any one with it

How does the intention even matter? And also intention is a really difficult thing to judge....
-------
Viscaria

ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 6:15am
I would think It's not really a valid stroke for a serious match critical point and more of a trick shot to be honest. If that's the fun way to play power to the player. If you are going to win anyways...play the ball under your legs behind your back or with the other hand..

I think one of the TTD Juniors Dan Simonsen?? played a stroke on video once hitting the handle or the edge. Looks amazing...but how many times would it really go on in a serious match.

I know what I would want at 9-9 in the 5th or 7th. It's not a trick shot if a trophy or a Team win was on the line.

Good fun mind if you play that fun style.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 7:14am

How does the intention even matter? And also intention is a really difficult thing to judge....

I think this is easy - as you said in the OP, if your partner keeps doing that on purpose.
Then it is intentional
And as I quoted, the umpire could use that clause in a tournament and what can your partner use to say it is a good shot?
You partner should rather just glue the rubber in a way that the playing surface has more wood. That is easily to it than an edge.

But even that could be called a bad shot.
Some cpen players alter the playing surface of the area for the fingers (either on purpose or by time) and as the hand goes there, the umpire will allow it, but for any reason where the ball is struck on the uneven surface, that is also called a bad shot and you will loose the point.

Jpen players use the wood a lot in the old days where this rule didn't exist yet.

But again, I think you are trying to debate on a unlikely event.
Rather train on a BH flick service receive than edge shot.
Just reading the ball and getting a good BH flick requires high skills, trying to gamble on a edge ball is really at most, just for fun.

Rules are there, it could be used against your partner.
You welcome to counter my argument with quotes from the handbook stating otherwise.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 9:49am
i was going to say how does hitting with the edge more advantages than penholders receiving with the bare wood side when the tread started but was not aware that the rules had changed.  ZApen could you post the rule where they prohibit hitting with the side of the blade.  If striking with the handle is allowed, why not the edge.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 11:31am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

i was going to say how does hitting with the edge more advantages than penholders receiving with the bare wood side when the tread started but was not aware that the rules had changed.  ZApen could you post the rule where they prohibit hitting with the side of the blade.  If striking with the handle is allowed, why not the edge.

scroll up and you can see it.
look for the numbers - 2.10.1.8
It says side of the blade use for striking the ball. To me, if you going to use the edge to intentionally strike the ball, then this clause counts.

Also, to make OP's partners happy, there is no limit to blade thickness, so if he was to make it a 17mm or 20mm blade per say, then the area to hit will become higher / less risky.

But again, if it is consider the side of "intentional" striking, then other than the no racket covering clause, there is also another clause somewhere about the area needs to be flat to be able to be used (with rubbers) to strike the ball.

Edited by ZApenholder - 08/19/2022 at 11:40am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 11:45am
I actually wonder, are you allowed to have more than 2 rubbers on a blade and how the colors will work?

Say, make a Thor hammer like blade.
You got your front and back side to hit the ball
then you got a "flat" edge (say 10cm wide) that you can put Anti, LP or what ever.

The rules says the blade can be any shape or size or weight, only need to be min 85% wood

Not sure how practical such blade would be, but just playing with the rules and coming up with something unique to fit OP's partners dream and within legal limits
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 1:27pm

scroll up and you can see it.
look for the numbers - 2.10.1.8
It says side of the blade use for striking the ball. To me, if you going to use the edge to intentionally strike the ball, then this clause counts.

Also, to make OP's partners happy, there is no limit to blade thickness, so if he was to make it a 17mm or 20mm blade per say, then the area to hit will become higher / less risky.

But again, if it is consider the side of "intentional" striking, then other than the no racket covering clause, there is also another clause somewhere about the area needs to be flat to be able to be used (with rubbers) to strike the ball.
I read it a little differently, it said "a side of the racket blade whose surface ..."  which to me means either of the two blade surfaces vs "side of the blade" which then could mean the edge
cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 4:40pm
The side and the edge are not the same thing. It's not allowed to hit with the side of the racket when there is no rubber on it.
You can hit with the edge of the racket.
SDC custom st
FH G-1 max
BH Evolution FX-S 1.9
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2022 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by cmugica cmugica wrote:

The side and the edge are not the same thing. It's not allowed to hit with the side of the racket when there is no rubber on it.
You can hit with the edge of the racket.

I read it a little differently, it said "a side of the racket blade whose surface ..."  which to me means either of the two blade surfaces vs "side of the blade" which then could mean the edge

At the moment, the entire ITTF handbook does not say you can intentionally strike with the edge of the racket and there is no "side of the blade" defined in the handbook.
It only says "strikes the ball with the side of the racket".

So if people want to define that edge is not a side of a racket and want to intentionally use it as a side of the racket to strike the ball (and not call it that because you think otherwise). Then try it in ITTF sanction tournaments and lets see how umpires interpret the rules.

Remember, the example provided by OP is intentional striking of the edge of the blade on  purpose. Its not by accident. Every service return, is to aim for the edge. So i'm eager to see how umpires define it. And if he/she defines it as no go, then how are you going to argue?
No where in the handbook says you are allowed to strike the ball with and edge of the blade and that the point is good.

ITTF handbook is full of grey areas. Maybe they will update it should OP's example become an event. So far it is only in theory and nil practicality.

Edited by ZApenholder - 08/19/2022 at 10:23pm
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 12:54am
Yes I agree completely with ZApenholder. In the end it's just down to the interpretation of the umpire/referee of the tournament that you play in. They will have the final say, regardless of whether it's rightly or wrongly interpreted.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 1:28am
I see lots of players in ITTF tournaments win points from blatant mishits (and then usually apologising, but they still won the point). Most notorious would probably be the last point of the 1st set between WLQ and Wang Hao in the 2009 WTTC 

Wouldn't a ball hit with the edge of the racket be treated the same way, ie it is legal and allowed?

Edited by blahness - 08/22/2022 at 1:29am
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 2:08am

I see lots of players in ITTF tournaments win points from blatant mishits (and then usually apologising, but they still won the point). Most notorious would probably be the last point of the 1st set between WLQ and Wang Hao in the 2009 WTTC 

Wouldn't a ball hit with the edge of the racket be treated the same way, ie it is legal and allowed?

Back to my first post to you, "intentionally" or not is the keyword in this entire picture.

and based on what is in the handbook, umpires can interpret it as illegal.
You will need to look into the handbook yourself and argue with the umpire on why the umpire is wrong.

PS, I'm sure none of the ittf tournaments examples you have indicated are intentional hitting with the edge - show us a few where it is intentional, then we can compare apples with apples.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 2:24am

Back to my first post to you, "intentionally" or not is the keyword in this entire picture.

You will need to look into the handbook yourself and argue with the umpire on why the umpire is wrong.

PS, I'm sure none of the ittf tournaments examples you have indicated are intentional hitting with the edge - show us a few where it is intentional, then we can compare apples with apples.

Yeah they are all unintentional, no pro trains with the intention of hitting with the edge at the moment. But one could hit it with the edge repeatedly and still claim it is "unintentional" and just a lucky streak? This will be very hard to prove either way.
-------
Viscaria

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 2:28am

Yeah they are all unintentional, no pro trains with the intention of hitting with the edge at the moment. But one could hit it with the edge repeatedly and still claim it is "unintentional" and just a lucky streak? This will be very hard to prove either way.

Yep, I get your point.
hence I raise a more stronger case of making a blade to allow for this to happen more easier (Thor hammer like blade)

ITTF will then just word the handbook clearer on the clause I raise, since they do not allow balls to be strike/contact on playing surface / side with an unapproved ITTF racket covering.
This is ultimate the main rule here that will be in question - otherwise, why all the fuss with ittf approved racket covering?
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 3:04am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

-ZApenholder

Hi ZApenholder, can you please refer us to the specific law(s) or rule(s) in any ITTF documents to support your contention that intentional hitting the ball with the edge of a racket during a rally is illegal.
Thanks.

Iloveplayingtabletennis
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 3:06am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

-ZApenholder

Hi ZApenholder, can you please refer us to the specific law(s) or rule(s) in any ITTF documents to support your contention that intentional hitting the ball with the edge of a racket during a rally is illegal.
Thanks.

Hi there
I already did - you can just scroll up and look for the numbers. There you can see the exact clause about what is considered a legal shot.

(PS you are the second person asking me to quote, but I already did - so not sure why you guys can't see it)
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 3:39am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

-ZApenholder

Thanks.

Hi there
I already did - you can just scroll up and look for the numbers. There you can see the exact clause about what is considered a legal shot.

(PS you are the second person asking me to quote, but I already did - so not sure why you guys can't see it) - ZApenholder

if you are referring to 2.10.1.8, it does not make any reference to the edge of a racket. specifically, 2.10.1.8 mentions the side(s) of the racket which are either covered or left uncovered as in 2.4.3, 2.4.4 and 2.4.5, with the side which is covered to be used for striking the ball.
there is no mention of the edge of the racket. there is also no mention as to the intention of a player striking the ball with the edge of the racket. 
Please enlighten. thanks
Iloveplayingtabletennis
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2022 at 3:57am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

-ZApenholder

Thanks.

Hi there

(PS you are the second person asking me to quote, but I already did - so not sure why you guys can't see it) - ZApenholder

if you are referring to 2.10.1.8, it does not make any reference to the edge of a racket. specifically, 2.10.1.8 mentions the side(s) of the racket which are either covered or left uncovered as in 2.4.3, 2.4.4 and 2.4.5, with the side which is covered to be used for striking the ball.
there is no mention of the edge of the racket. there is also no mention as to the intention of a player striking the ball with the edge of the racket. 
Please enlighten. thanks

Hi there,
I already did - scroll up and read.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic