FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sealing your blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing your blade
    Posted: 09/19/2022 at 10:51am
I realize there are many opinions regarding this. Here is an experiment that I did.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2022 at 3:58pm
I feel like you're overdoing it.  I just barely dampen blades.  When it dries you shouldn't even see the sealant.

Unless, of course, your goal is to harden the blade
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2022 at 4:20pm
While I admit to wanting to "provoke" a change in playing properties (hence two layers), the applied layers were really thin, as thin as they can be whilst ensuring that the entire surface is covered. I scraped the sponge quite hard across the surface.  

Feedback
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2022 at 5:03am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I feel like you're overdoing it.  I just barely dampen blades.  When it dries you shouldn't even see the sealant.

I also use Revolution water based sealant, but in a way that its seal the blade but the rubber is still attach very well, so:
I cover the blade with a relatively thin->thick layer of varnish. I let it absorb a little into the wood fiber, then I wipe quickly along the length of the fiber with a nasal napkin or thick Kutchen paper, so that the excess will be well absorbed. I let it dry for 1 hour, then I sand very gentile with 1500-grit sandpaper. The blade remains very smooth, the varnish penetrates superficially into the wood fiber, so it's prevent the water absorption, but the surface remains quite adherent and does not change its properties. The purpose of the abrasive paper is to remove the very fine layer of varnish that is on the surface of the fiber, allowing an even better adhesion (the sanding it may be skipped, depending on the type of surface veneer).

Edited by Claudiu84 - 09/22/2022 at 5:06am
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2022 at 10:28am
thanks for the review - I doubt any player  would want to do a test like this on their own with the cost of many blades
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2022 at 2:54am
I didn't have any difficulties attaching the rubbers to the Revo 3 sealed blade, but yes, if I did, I would lightly sand (and not apply as much next time) 

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

thanks for the review - I doubt any player  would want to do a test like this on their own with the cost of many blades

Yeah, so far I have made a staggering $2 off that video Tongue You are welcome to stop by my tip jar at the bottom of my (primitive) website. Proceeds, in one way or other, go towards TT videos/experiments.

Feedback
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2022 at 4:08pm
I used to use Minwax, but changed to Emmett's Good Stuff. I use an old t shirt to apply it to the handle and blade. I put on the first very thin coat, let it dry, and put on one more very thin coat. I have experienced no problems with water based glues adhering the sponge to the blade, and the rubbers peel off very nicely. 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2022 at 5:41pm
I RECEIVED A TIP. Thank you !!!

Feedback
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2022 at 5:26am
You're making great videos, and an  "staggering $2 " is quite few for the time and effort that you spent on that video. To bad that PayPal has such high fees :(
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2022 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Claudiu84 Claudiu84 wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I also use Revolution water based sealant, but in a way that its seal the blade but the rubber is still attach very well, so:
I cover the blade with a relatively thin->thick layer of varnish. I let it absorb a little into the wood fiber, then I wipe quickly along the length of the fiber with a nasal napkin or thick Kutchen paper, so that the excess will be well absorbed. I let it dry for 1 hour, then I sand very gentile with 1500-grit sandpaper. The blade remains very smooth, the varnish penetrates superficially into the wood fiber, so it's prevent the water absorption, but the surface remains quite adherent and does not change its properties. The purpose of the abrasive paper is to remove the very fine layer of varnish that is on the surface of the fiber, allowing an even better adhesion (the sanding it may be skipped, depending on the type of surface veneer).

I do something very similar. I use a very thin layer of Minwax PU sealant, then use the opposite end of the sponge to quickly absorb any excess. It dries very quickly. After that I use a 1000-grit sand paper and gently run across the blade surface once vertically and once horizontally, then once along the edge where detachment happens most often.

The end result is no splinters, much easier to remove rubbers, yet still attaches to the rubber well enough not to separate. No change to playing characteristic that I can feel. 
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic