Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short pimple cracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short pimple cracks
    Posted: 09/29/2022 at 8:28pm
Hi all,

I notice after a certain period of time (say 1.5 months), my victas VO101 short pips have cracks on the pimple surface and bottom of the pips. Once cracks start to appear, I find the pips become alot more inconsistent and harder to play. Has anyone experienced this before, know why this happens and possibly know a way to prevent it from happening? Or is this thing with all short pimples?

Sponsored Links

gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 3:58am
Hmm that is weird. Sounds like ageing of the pips.
How have you been storing them?
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 11:53am
I buy a new sheet from TT11 and glue it on straight away. Sometimes, I buy 2 and it is stored for about 3 months before I open. Do you reckon it could be me playing alot and therefore the pips start to crack?
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

Hi all,

I notice after a certain period of time (say 1.5 months), my victas VO101 short pips have cracks on the pimple surface and bottom of the pips. Once cracks start to appear, I find the pips become alot more inconsistent and harder to play. Has anyone experienced this before, know why this happens and possibly know a way to prevent it from happening? Or is this thing with all short pimples?

My friend also had  the same problem with Victas Vo103. The pips in the middle of the paddle are kind of like broken (crack...), and caused inconsistence.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 3:27pm
It's not all pips.  Moristo lasts several months playing 5x/week.  And even then the pips don't break.  Topsheet comes loose at the edges.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 5:55pm

Hi all,

Victas VO101, in my opinion, has a terrible topsheet with a great sponge. The topsheet is very plastic-like and slippery which makes it play more like medium pips (low spin short pips). I honestly just think the quality of the topsheet is so bad that it's likely to age faster than most other topsheets and that the type of material it uses degrades in the way you are describing.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Hi all,

Victas VO101, in my opinion, has a terrible topsheet with a great sponge. The topsheet is very plastic-like and slippery which makes it play more like medium pips (low spin short pips). I honestly just think the quality of the topsheet is so bad that it's likely to age faster than most other topsheets and that the type of material it uses degrades in the way you are describing.

Ah well.... that makes sense. Is there any substitution for 101? I really like 101 but if the topsheet degrades too fast then durability is an issue.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

It's not all pips.  Moristo lasts several months playing 5x/week.  And even then the pips don't break.  Topsheet comes loose at the edges.

How does moristo SP compare to 101? Do you know?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2022 at 11:36pm

Hi all,

Ah well.... that makes sense. Is there any substitution for 101? I really like 101 but if the topsheet degrades too fast then durability is an issue.

Since VO101 is more of a medium pip, maybe something like Spinlord Keiler or Gipfulsturm. It's hard to find another medium pip with glue effect but those come to mind.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2022 at 2:16am

Hi all,

All SP if this kind suffer with this issue: blowfish+,103,V101  all of them have almost cylinder pips that gives very high sink .pips must be more stiifer than control SP thats why they break 
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2022 at 3:45am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Hi all,

All SP if this kind suffer with this issue: blowfish+,103,V101  all of them have almost cylinder pips that gives very high sink .pips must be more stiifer than control SP thats why they break 

Fair point, do u think cleaning the pips every time after play would help? That way, it would prevent the degrading more?
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2022 at 3:46am

Hi all,

Since VO101 is more of a medium pip, maybe something like Spinlord Keiler or Gipfulsturm. It's hard to find another medium pip with glue effect but those come to mind.

Do you know of any vertical aligned med pips that would be similar? I don't like keiler and gipfulsturm cos they r horizontal.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2022 at 11:28am

Fair point, do u think cleaning the pips every time after play would help? That way, it would prevent the degrading more?

No.
If you hit hard, it will break sooner.
So the only way to prevent it from degrading is not to use it
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2022 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

No.

What about using a thicker version of the pips? I currently use 1.8mm but if I use 2mm, would it not degrade as much since its got more sponge to absorb when i hit the ball? I think this sounds stupid but just trying to make an excuse for the durability haha.LOLLOL
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2022 at 12:13am

No.

What about using a thicker version of the pips? I currently use 1.8mm but if I use 2mm, would it not degrade as much since its got more sponge to absorb when i hit the ball? I think this sounds stupid but just trying to make an excuse for the durability haha.LOLLOL

I think it all got to do with how hard you hit and the hours of hits behind the fair life span of the pip.

sooner or later, the degrading would happen and replacements is a must.
SP rubbers are not unlimited life than most would think. It all got to do with how the user uses it.
Ie, Tenergy rubbers, some people could use it for a year, but some only a month.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2022 at 7:24am

No.

I think it all got to do with how hard you hit and the hours of hits behind the fair life span of the pip.

sooner or later, the degrading would happen and replacements is a must.
SP rubbers are not unlimited life than most would think. It all got to do with how the user uses it.
Ie, Tenergy rubbers, some people could use it for a year, but some only a month.

ah well, looks like I play too much and either need to reduce or keep buying sheets of 101 hahaha. I can't find a good alternative to it. The sponge is too gd.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2022 at 12:45pm

No.

Victas pips dont last .
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2022 at 7:50pm

No.

Victas pips dont last .

I find that too but they are too good not to use haha
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2022 at 4:38am

No.

Victas pips dont last .

Please explain me why you like 101? Have tried 103 and blowfish and dont know if 101 would be deadlier.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2022 at 7:21pm

No.

Victas pips dont last .

Please explain me why you like 101? Have tried 103 and blowfish and dont know if 101 would be deadlier.

I play with a controlled BH with pushes, blocks and counters and I find 101 provides very good speed and spin variation due to its very porous sponge. When I hit hard with 101 its fast and when I hit soft it goes slow. To me, this is rare in short/med pip rubbers as most of the time short/med pips use a very solid sponge for hitting and blocking fast. 101's sink is a lot more than 103 but I am not sure about Blowfish as I have never tried. However, 101 is deadlier than blowfish+. The sponge of 101 is what truly makes it unique short/med pips. In conclusion, 101 is not an easy pip to learn but once mastered the opponent will truly hate you LOL. I recently played a 2350 player ratings central player and he said the 101 pips was difficult to loop/hit against.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 12:44pm

Hi all,

Do you know of any vertical aligned med pips that would be similar? I don't like keiler and gipfulsturm cos they r horizontal.

Here's a unique idea. I'm actually going to be experimenting with using long pips offensively like they're short pips. I have an old sheet of TSP Curl P4 OX that I glued on the Spinlord Waran 1.8mm sponge. I have already tried it with a sheet of Palio CK531A with mixed results for a variety of reasons but I think I will have more luck with P4.

So maybe you can remove the topsheet from your 101 and glue some OX pips on top of it like I did with Waran's sponge. Ai Fukuhara used Armstrong Attack 8 medium pips. Maybe get a sheet of that in OX from tt-japan.net or somewhere and glue it on the 101 sponge.

Removing the topsheet from Waran was fairly easy using a clothes iron to heat up the topsheet and soften the glue. It's also better to do it while still glued onto the blade. I'm not sure if it will be as easy with 101 but still, it's an idea as it's completely legal as long as the sponge and topsheet combination doesn't exceed 4mm total. I don't go thicker than 1.8mm because long pips are usually 2mm but if you are using medium pips you might be able to use a 2.0mm sponge if you wanted. Though I don't really see a reason you need to change from 1.8mm

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 10/05/2022 at 1:05pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 2:32pm
I just checked my sheets of 101, and so far no issues to be seen. I will keep an eye on them from now on.   I agree with you about 101, for my game it is a nice balance between medium and short pip characteristics. I currently have 4 sheets of Victas 101: one sheet of 1.5 mm and 3 sheets of 1.8. I also have a sheet of Victas 102 and a Spectol S3, but they are much spinnier short pips than 101.

I used Keiler before and may just return to it if I begin to see issues with my 101 sbeets, especially if they come out with a new improved sponge for Keiler next year.  I'm better against long pips and anti players with the Keiler, so that would be an advantage. Or I could go to long pips, I have a sheet of Donic Piranha lying around waiting to be mounted on a blade.  

Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 7:08pm

Hi all,

Here's a unique idea. I'm actually going to be experimenting with using long pips offensively like they're short pips. I have an old sheet of TSP Curl P4 OX that I glued on the Spinlord Waran 1.8mm sponge. I have already tried it with a sheet of Palio CK531A with mixed results for a variety of reasons but I think I will have more luck with P4.

So maybe you can remove the topsheet from your 101 and glue some OX pips on top of it like I did with Waran's sponge. Ai Fukuhara used Armstrong Attack 8 medium pips. Maybe get a sheet of that in OX from tt-japan.net or somewhere and glue it on the 101 sponge.

Removing the topsheet from Waran was fairly easy using a clothes iron to heat up the topsheet and soften the glue. It's also better to do it while still glued onto the blade. I'm not sure if it will be as easy with 101 but still, it's an idea as it's completely legal as long as the sponge and topsheet combination doesn't exceed 4mm total. I don't go thicker than 1.8mm because long pips are usually 2mm but if you are using medium pips you might be able to use a 2.0mm sponge if you wanted. Though I don't really see a reason you need to change from 1.8mm

Ohhh this is a gd idea! I might do this with OX keiler topsheet. I have done this with H3 before but I used a stove. How long did it take u to do with clothes iron?
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2022 at 7:09pm
Do you prefer 1.5 or 1.8mm short pips? Why do u prefer that thickness?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 2:40am

I guess it took me 20ish minutes with the iron. Slow and safe is the way to go.

So now you're interested in Keiler even with horizontal alignment? I suggested Armstrong Attack 8 because it has vertical alignment. But the way I look at equipment is that I care more about playing characteristics rather than physical characteristics. Yes, things like alignment can be indicative of performance but not necessarily so I don't pay too much attention to that.

As far as your thickness question, here's a controversial hot take; After testing short pips, watching others near me use short pips, and watching professionals use short pips, I think short pips are a lot less useful for offensive play than people think and most people shouldn't use them. I think players like Mattias Falck would play better using a fast, low throw inverted rubber and players like Mima Ito should use long pips offensively like Deng Yaping.

To answer your question though I like 1.8mm which is as thick as I can take it with long pips. I'm trying to get them to be as fast as possible and the thicker sponge is better for that.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 9:00am

I guess it took me 20ish minutes with the iron. Slow and safe is the way to go.

So now you're interested in Keiler even with horizontal alignment? I suggested Armstrong Attack 8 because it has vertical alignment. But the way I look at equipment is that I care more about playing characteristics rather than physical characteristics. Yes, things like alignment can be indicative of performance but not necessarily so I don't pay too much attention to that.

As far as your thickness question, here's a controversial hot take; After testing short pips, watching others near me use short pips, and watching professionals use short pips, I think short pips are a lot less useful for offensive play than people think and most people shouldn't use them. I think players like Mattias Falck would play better using a fast, low throw inverted rubber and players like Mima Ito should use long pips offensively like Deng Yaping.

To answer your question though I like 1.8mm which is as thick as I can take it with long pips. I'm trying to get them to be as fast as possible and the thicker sponge is better for that.

OH sorry your right! Keiler is horizontal alignment. Never mind! Ill look into Armstrong Attack 8 hahaha. So u believe 1.8mm is alright but u would like faster and therefore a thicker sponge would be better? 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 10:28am

OH sorry your right! Keiler is horizontal alignment. Never mind! Ill look into Armstrong Attack 8 hahaha. So u believe 1.8mm is alright but u would like faster and therefore a thicker sponge would be better? 

Yes and no. Thicker is faster but I think that with pips of any length on the BACKHAND, going past 1.8mm isn't necessary. I would say 2.0 or thicker is for pips on the forehand as the forehand penetrates more. This is entirely subjective though and also depends on your level. There are much higher level players than me that maybe would benefit with thicker pips on the backhand but for the majority of players even at a high level using pips on the backhand offensively, 1.7-1.9 is a really nice thickness that combines good speed with noticeable pip effect and disturbance.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 7:12pm

Yes and no. Thicker is faster but I think that with pips of any length on the BACKHAND, going past 1.8mm isn't necessary. I would say 2.0 or thicker is for pips on the forehand as the forehand penetrates more. This is entirely subjective though and also depends on your level. There are much higher level players than me that maybe would benefit with thicker pips on the backhand but for the majority of players even at a high level using pips on the backhand offensively, 1.7-1.9 is a really nice thickness that combines good speed with noticeable pip effect and disturbance.

Ahhh makes sense. Sounds like I will stick to 1.8mm then as i felt its the perfect balance. I tried 2mm before but felt kinda spongy and 1.5mm was too slow. I understand that in the US Shao Yu uses short pips bh, would u happen to know what thickness he uses on bh?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 7:52pm

No.

Victas pips dont last .

I play with a controlled BH with pushes, blocks and counters and I find 101 provides very good speed and spin variation due to its very porous sponge. When I hit hard with 101 its fast and when I hit soft it goes slow. To me, this is rare in short/med pip rubbers as most of the time short/med pips use a very solid sponge for hitting and blocking fast. 101's sink is a lot more than 103 but I am not sure about Blowfish as I have never tried. However, 101 is deadlier than blowfish+. The sponge of 101 is what truly makes it unique short/med pips. In conclusion, 101 is not an easy pip to learn but once mastered the opponent will truly hate you LOL. I recently played a 2350 player ratings central player and he said the 101 pips was difficult to loop/hit against.

Is 101 way more difficult to handle than 103?
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2022 at 8:09pm

No.

Victas pips dont last .

Is 101 way more difficult to handle than 103?

Yes it is more difficult to use. 103 is a pip made between 101 and 102. Therefore, IMO, it is a pip for someone to determine their style of play. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic