Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

W968 user group

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W968 user group
    Posted: 10/31/2022 at 12:17pm
I don't see a w968 use group here and think it is fun to create one. It is getting more popular with WCQ and SYS switching to it and winning the recent tournaments. 

Please share your inputs and discussion.
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2022 at 2:53pm
I would like to test one, but when I see the price I realize it´s too much money for a single blade.
It costs 6 times more than a Viscaria! This is insane.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I would like to test one, but when I see the price I realize it´s too much money for a single blade.
It costs 6 times more than a Viscaria! This is insane.

Yeah it is expensive. It is better to test it first if one of your clubmates uses it. It is not an easy blade to play with. I struggled the first several times that I played with it. I listed it for sale here after feeling totally unsatisfied with it several times. But then I tried rubbers and kept playing with it for about a month, it starts to shine. 

It is much harder to play with compared with a Hurricane Long 5. 
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2022 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

It is much harder to play with compared with a Hurricane Long 5. 

so what's the difference between 968 and long 5?
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2022 at 3:59pm
In my opinion, national version W968 is harder (probably thicker) than HL5. On the other side, W968 has much more support than HL5. If you hit and loop with more power, W968 definitely offers better chances to finish points. 

Letter W968 is between the two. I tried one before and it has pretty good feel. 
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2022 at 6:01pm
By the way what difference between old HL5 with writing and newer HL5 except head size? I mean difference in game and feeling
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2022 at 11:37pm
where does one even buy a National Version of the w968?  Is the W968 sold on tt11 a Provincial or a National version?
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2022 at 12:17am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

where does one even buy a National Version of the w968?  Is the W968 sold on tt11 a Provincial or a National version?

There are several versions of W968.

National versions are usually specially made for DHS sponsored players such as ML, SYS, WYD etc.  DHS usually produces several W968 blades for its player in a tournament, so each player has extra blade. Prott sometimes sells these kind of blades. It is hard to know whether the blade is really specially made for the player.

The W968 sold on TT11 is called official W968. There are quite some of them out there. The series number on the handle starts with W968, but this is still different from the player version W968.

Then there are provincial W968 (or called letter W968). It looks quite similar to a regular HL5 except the imprint on the handle and the certificate card. The series number starts with HL5...
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2022 at 6:46am
W968 has different ALC fibers than Long 5.

The Donic No 1 (made by DHS) is available in 2 versions, the more expensive one also has „premium carbon“ according to the product description.

W968 is softer than Long 5. More feel but requires better technique to get the most out of it.

The ceiling for Spin and speed is higher than Viscaria but it requires better technique, especially on the BH.

National W968 has a bigger head size. Even better forehand, needs even better acceleration to play a good backhand.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2022 at 2:37pm

National versions are usually specially made for DHS sponsored players such as ML, SYS, WYD etc.  DHS usually produces several W968 blades for its player in a tournament, so each player has extra blade. Prott sometimes sells these kind of blades. It is hard to know whether the blade is really specially made for the player.

The W968 sold on TT11 is called official W968. There are quite some of them out there. The series number on the handle starts with W968, but this is still different from the player version W968.

Then there are provincial W968 (or called letter W968). It looks quite similar to a regular HL5 except the imprint on the handle and the certificate card. The series number starts with HL5...

Thanks for the insight! Clap  I didn't even know about this.  Good thing I didn't order the w968 from tt11 yet, since the price is so high and they didn't specify what version it is.  If I'm getting one, I definitely would want one that is either the National or the Player version (if not overly priced)
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2022 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Shifu Shifu wrote:

The Donic No 1 (made by DHS) is available in 2 versions, the more expensive one also has „premium carbon“ according to the product description.

W968 is softer than Long 5. More feel but requires better technique to get the most out of it.

The ceiling for Spin and speed is higher than Viscaria but it requires better technique, especially on the BH.

National W968 has a bigger head size. Even better forehand, needs even better acceleration to play a good backhand.

Does W968 also require to be paired with a tuned Neo H3 National Blue Sponge on the forehand for optimal results?  Or will it do with a Dignics 09C on both sides?
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2022 at 3:27pm
I first paired it with a slightly boosted blue sponge provincal H3 on the forehand and H3 37 soft on the backhand. It is really tough to play with. It just requires too much efforts for amateurs to play with this setup. Now, I pair it with T05/05fx and it feels pretty good. I guess if one use D09c on the forehand and a soft one on the back hand, it would be fine. 

For my old version HL5, I pair it with Nittaku G1 on the forehand and D09c on the backhand, and it is fine too.  I guess it all depends on your level and play style.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 4:01pm

I can confirm some of this. I just got a nation (numbers) version from prott. It feels softer in the short game, stiffer in all other shots. The head size is 161mm, larger than the regular one which is 159mm. On medium strength shots there's a noticeable "ping" sound not present on the regular Long 5. This is associated with a more direct shot and more crisp feel for these shots, which makes for a s stronger BH counter and flick game. On hard shots there's a similar cracking sound, but feels faster and stiffer, though still with better catapult effect than say the Viscaria.

Per Sergio of SDC, the regular Long 5 has aramid fibers running vertically, and carbon fibers horizontally, while the 968 has both fibers running both vertically and horizontally. I obviously can't confirm this independently.

To me, overall the W968 is a more balanced blade than the regular Long 5. The regular HL5 is good with the softest shots and the hardest shots. It has severe deficiencies in medium powered shots like close to the table BH counters which is the majority of modern BH game. 968 improves on this dramatically, and is even softer with touch shots somehow, but does sacrifice some stability with full powered FH loops.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

I can confirm some of this. I just got a nation (numbers) version from prott. It feels softer in the short game, stiffer in all other shots. The head size is 161mm, larger than the regular one which is 159mm. On medium strength shots there's a noticeable "ping" sound not present on the regular Long 5. This is associated with a more direct shot and more crisp feel for these shots, which makes for a s stronger BH counter and flick game. On hard shots there's a similar cracking sound, but feels faster and stiffer, though still with better catapult effect than say the Viscaria.

Per Sergio of SDC, the regular Long 5 has aramid fibers running vertically, and carbon fibers horizontally, while the 968 has both fibers running both vertically and horizontally. I obviously can't confirm this independently.

To me, overall the W968 is a more balanced blade than the regular Long 5. The regular HL5 is good with the softest shots and the hardest shots. It has severe deficiencies in medium powered shots like close to the table BH counters which is the majority of modern BH game. 968 improves on this dramatically, and is even softer with touch shots somehow, but does sacrifice some stability with full powered FH loops.

The version from Prott is the official W968. It is usually softer than the player version W968. I got a letter W968 (provincial). It is much easier to play with than a number W968. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 5:12pm
Regular HL5 is probably thinner than a W968. One can hear the "dong, dong" sound when you hit hard with it. There is no such sound from W968.

W968 is really good if you play far away from table. If you play close to table, a Harimoto alc is actually easier to play with and offers you better chances to win games.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 5:29pm
I will try to upload some photos of the regular HL5, letter W968, and number W968 soon. It is really a mess if you do not follow DHS products.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 5:44pm
I think they're all similar in thickness, there's variation within all of them. My W968 has a slightly thinner core, which also appears a bit less porous compared to the regular HL5. You can see a comparison between my primary blade, a 2014 HL5, and the W968 I just got here.

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

I think they're all similar in thickness, there's variation within all of them. My W968 has a slightly thinner core, which also appears a bit less porous compared to the regular HL5. You can see a comparison between my primary blade, a 2014 HL5, and the W968 I just got here.

The number 968 looks thicker to me in the photo.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 5:58pm
My number W968 is players' version. DHS can modify the setting a little bit. The previous owner of my W968 said that it was made harder.

An official W968 is probably better for most players than a players' version, as the players' version is usually made for professionals. And the official version is much cheaper.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2023 at 8:41pm

My number W968 is players' version. DHS can modify the setting a little bit. The previous owner of my W968 said that it was made harder.

An official W968 is probably better for most players than a players' version, as the players' version is usually made for professionals. And the official version is much cheaper.

I was more concerned about reproducibility.  If I want a backup blade or a replacement, I figured a market version would be easier to find that matches what I'm using.  A player version would be tougher to find and the player may have changed his/her taste.

I think for my game, a letters version would've been more than enough, I'm just a big ML fan and wanted the W968 engraved on my blade lol.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2023 at 11:35am
Among blades from other manufacturers, I feel that BTY Harimoto ZLC is pretty similar to letter W968. It has the same springy feel when one bounces a ball on it. 
Dan2200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan2200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2023 at 12:01pm
Official W968 is not as good as national player W968 but I don't know by how much.

Maybe 8/10 or 9/10 -Did anyone actually play both version and compare the quality?
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2023 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Dan2200 Dan2200 wrote:

Official W968 is not as good as national player W968 but I don't know by how much.

Maybe 8/10 or 9/10 -Did anyone actually play both version and compare the quality?

It all depends on how you define how "good" a blade is. For a beginner, a 5 wood blade is better than any W968 for sure.

Official W968 is made for the general market. Player version usually is made maybe with some minor modification based on the requirements of the player. Some professional players might want thicker and harder blades, which are not suitable for most amateur players. 

And basically each W968 plays differently. So it is really hard to say which is better.
Dan2200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan2200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2023 at 12:39am
Kindof99: 

So what you are saying is the wood quality and process to make official W968 and National W968 are the same. The only different could only be (Thickness, Weight, Head size)
clezhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clezhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 1:45pm
There are many inaccurate statements in this thread and I'll add some color to it. 
Recently a former Chinese National A Team member Yin Hang (尹航) openly revealed some unknown facts about W968. I can summarize here:
1. Only the absolute elite DHS sponsored players (ML, WCQ, SYS etc) get blades specifically made for them, and only they have the "National Player version". 
2. "National Player version" are EXTREMELY rare on the market, probably in single digits figure every year. The reason is simply why would ML, WCQ give their blades to other people for resale? Therefore, majority of these "National Player version" on the market are absurdly marked up "National Official/Digital version" or simply just fakes.
3. The rest of the Chinese National Team use the "National Official/Digital version".
4. The way DHS distribute the National Official W968 is straightforward: they make a batch of blades and send them to the National team. All National team members are assembled and get to pick the blades based on their preference. The blades that are unselected by the players go to the market and become the "National Official/Digital version". 
5. Please note that even "National Official/Digital version" are quite rare in the market. The DHS authorized dealers (there are less than a dozen for each province) only get a few per month. That being said, there are A LOT of fakes on the market. 

Yin Hang's livestream recording(only available in Chinese, no translation): 
clezhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clezhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 1:48pm
The ones sold on tt11 IS the National Official/Digital version, which is used by National team members.

Edited by clezhong - 02/15/2023 at 2:34pm
clezhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clezhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 1:52pm

Thanks for the insight! Clap  I didn't even know about this.  Good thing I didn't order the w968 from tt11 yet, since the price is so high and they didn't specify what version it is.  If I'm getting one, I definitely would want one that is either the National or the Player version (if not overly priced)

The ones sold on tt11 IS the National Official/Digital version, which is used by National team members. Please take a look at my reply above. 

clezhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clezhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by Dan2200 Dan2200 wrote:

It all depends on how you define how "good" a blade is. For a beginner, a 5 wood blade is better than any W968 for sure.

Official W968 is made for the general market. Player version usually is made maybe with some minor modification based on the requirements of the player. Some professional players might want thicker and harder blades, which are not suitable for most amateur players. 

And basically each W968 plays differently. So it is really hard to say which is better.
Official W968 is actually used by all other National team members except the absolute elite ML WCQ etc. So, they were not meant to be made only for the general market. 
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 7:26pm
Thank you for the discussion of W968 and HLong 5 here.

For years, I have been hesitant to buy DHS products.   I always think that (for example) W968 is an ordinary blade, but since it was used by Ma Long and other CNT players, then that ordinary blade (probably only cost $50) was marked up up to hundreds of $$$.

Or probably there is special W968 which is truly excellent and really cost a fortune, but how do I know that special W968 is really the special one (not ordinary W968 that is claimed to be a special one and sold for hundreds of $$$).  In other words, which is the trusted store or supplier?

So I am thinking, probably I am better off buying Donic No. 1, at least I know the official Donic store that will sell genuine Donic blade.

So, again, thank you for the discussion of W968 and HLong 5 here.  They help me clearing up my misunderstanding.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2023 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Thank you for the discussion of W968 and HLong 5 here.

For years, I have been hesitant to buy DHS products.   I always think that (for example) W968 is an ordinary blade, but since it was used by Ma Long and other CNT players, then that ordinary blade (probably only cost $50) was marked up up to hundreds of $$$.

Or probably there is special W968 which is truly excellent and really cost a fortune, but how do I know that special W968 is really the special one (not ordinary W968 that is claimed to be a special one and sold for hundreds of $$$).  In other words, which is the trusted store or supplier?

So I am thinking, probably I am better off buying Donic No. 1, at least I know the official Donic store that will sell genuine Donic blade.

So, again, thank you for the discussion of W968 and HLong 5 here.  They help me clearing up my misunderstanding.

You can buy one from a DHS certified dealer like TT11, but that'd set you back ~$800 for the official national version. You can also get one from prott which is run by a former provincial player and has many forum members who'd vouch for him. That would get it down to ~$500 for a national version or ~$300 for a provincial version.

Now I got one because I'm a big ML fan, but if I wasn't I probably would've just gone for a similar but cheaper blade like the Yasaka Athletico Power. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic