Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

W968 user group

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dan2200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan2200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2023 at 2:29pm
I had doubt in these W968 and other national blades before. My plan is to get a used one first and see how good it is before buying a new one. If you can borrow one from a club that is even better. One of the coaches probably have one.

For the quality of the blade i think there is only you who can tell how better it is compare to the commercial one. W968 could be more spin, more speed but is it better for you?
Sponsored Links

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2023 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Dan2200 Dan2200 wrote:

I had doubt in these W968 and other national blades before. My plan is to get a used one first and see how good it is before buying a new one. If you can borrow one from a club that is even better. One of the coaches probably have one.

For the quality of the blade i think there is only you who can tell how better it is compare to the commercial one. W968 could be more spin, more speed but is it better for you?

I haven't extensively tested the new commercial HL5, but I used the old one for a few months before switching to the 968. They're completely different blades. It's not just a matter of different quality materials, per Sergio of SDC they use different fibers for the composite layer. It definitely feels like that. The 968 has a softer feel, is way faster, is significantly stiffer, but still has good flex when hit hard. It's just not the extreme flex of the old HL5. This makes the BH a lot more direct and controllable, with much more consistent quality in shot production, but the FH becomes a lot harder to control.

Basically the old HL5 commercial felt like a faster Yasaka Sweden Extra, while the 968 felt like a flexier Viscaria. I actually had an easier time transitioning from the YSE to the old commercial HL5 than from the HL5 to the W968, that's how different they are. 
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Dan2200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan2200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2023 at 3:34pm
I have played HL5, then Golden Long 5, then Provincial W968, then W968 player version. It just got better and better. Feel like i am cheating with my opponent a little bit when i have better equipment.

Don't get me wrong, you still have to get used to each blade and adjust the stroke a little bit, for me its like a month or two before i can really comfortable with the transition.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2023 at 3:26am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Originally posted by Dan2200 Dan2200 wrote:

I haven't extensively tested the new commercial HL5, but I used the old one for a few months before switching to the 968. They're completely different blades. It's not just a matter of different quality materials, per Sergio of SDC they use different fibers for the composite layer. It definitely feels like that. The 968 has a softer feel, is way faster, is significantly stiffer, but still has good flex when hit hard. It's just not the extreme flex of the old HL5. This makes the BH a lot more direct and controllable, with much more consistent quality in shot production, but the FH becomes a lot harder to control.

Basically the old HL5 commercial felt like a faster Yasaka Sweden Extra, while the 968 felt like a flexier Viscaria. I actually had an easier time transitioning from the YSE to the old commercial HL5 than from the HL5 to the W968, that's how different they are. 

Saying HL5 is faster than an extra is like saying a ferrari carvis faster than a honda. I have played with both.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic