Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - alternatives for Joo se hyuk blade and Gambler ref
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

alternatives for Joo se hyuk blade and Gambler ref

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternatives for Joo se hyuk blade and Gambler ref
    Posted: 12/21/2022 at 6:13am
Hi people,
My present setup:
joo se hyuk blade
gambler reflectoid 1,5 mm (both sides).
This is the ultimate combination for my game. It is fast on active balls and perfect feeling on slow balls. I can play good spin with the top-layer of the rubber (after the stickyness is gone it is best).
The active balls are fast because of the 1,5 mm really soft sponge, wich bottoms out on a flat hit, using the speed and angle of the JSH blade. 
Passive (blocking, chopping, chopblocks) it works almost as an anti-topspin rubber, only with a tacky surface :)

(NB I have used Giant Dragon Submarine Rubber, which is 100% the same as the Reflectoid.)

But:
both the JSH blade as the reflectoid / submarine rubbers have been discontinued. So I need to investigate alternatives. 
Does anyone know any blades close to the JSH? I read Diode V is a good alternative? Any other comparable blades from other brands?
And an alternative for reflectoid/submarine? Grippy surface with a sponge like anti, in 1,5 mm?

Hope to hear form you!

Sponsored Links

pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2022 at 6:27am
spinlord Marder, anyone knows this rubber. It seems a bit like the gambler rubber? 
XiEnting1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XiEnting1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2022 at 2:56am
Victas Koji Matsushita Offensive is closer to JSH than Diode. Diode have more flex, it is elastic wood compared to JSH and VKMO. JSH is still faster than VKMO, so there is no exact replacement. 
BETTERTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BETTERTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2022 at 11:49am
Hi...I rarely experiment with new rubbers.  Over a year ago, I switched from Gambler Reflectoid to Giant Dragon Submarine and I adapted immediately.  Are they really identical rubbers for sure? Or is that something that you think ?   I feel that my attack with topspin is better with Submarine.  Maybe its psychological only.  Additionally, I found that the Submarine is more durable and lasts longer than the Reflectoid did.

The reason that I changed is that the Reflectoid was removed from the LARC (list of approved rubbers by the ITTF).  Currently Submarine is still approved.  We will see if it stays on the LARC list for 2023.  If yes, then you can still find the rubber for sale at several online stores in the EU (mainly in Germany) and then you will still have at least one year to find and adjust to new rubbers.

I am also curious to know what would be a suitable replacement.  On paper, the Spinlord Marder (not Marder 2 or 3 or 4) looks very promising. 

pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2022 at 2:03am
What will be the reason for ban of reflectoid? Not paying by manufacturer to ITTF?
Anyway the rubber is not particularly extreme in anything, it's quite basic in fact.

Anyway i go for the matsushita off- marder1,5 mm combi, both sides. Just ordered it, will take a couple days more because not everything is in stock and things are slower around new year... :)

If anyone interested I will give feedback on the differences with JSH/reflectoid/submarine combi. 

BETTERTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BETTERTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2022 at 8:40pm
it's not really a ban on Reflectoid....they stopped manufacturing and selling the rubber and didnt want to continue to pay the ITTF to be on the approved rubbers list.  I hope that doesn't happen this year with Giant Dragon Submarine as I have 10 of them and I really like this rubber a lot.  The only thing I dont like about this rubber is that I need to put on a new one every 2 months as the quality of spin decreases over time...but they are really cheap (under 14 Euros), so it's not so bad.  I can execute topspins with this rubber and flat kill shots on high balls, although I mainly use it for serving and off the table chopping on both forehand and backhand as I am a traditional chopper that twiddles.

I am really interested on knowing how the Spinlord Marder performs for you compared to Reflectoid or Submarine.  I dont plan on changing blades.  Will you receive the Marder soon?
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2022 at 1:13am
Have you tried the Air Defender rubber? It is fairly affordable and available from ColesTT.com. Unfortunately it is not all that similar to Reflectoid because Reflectoid is a special rubber, shame that it is not offered anymore but it truly was made for a specific playing style, but it shares a bit more similarities with Submarine, it is a soft topsheet soft sponge rubber with good grip.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2022 at 9:01am
If you have a couple of JSH blades there is absolutely no reason to change blades. 
pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2022 at 10:47am
Yes I played with the Air defender in the past, on the JSH. I don't think I was as satisfied with it as with Reflectoid, but I developped my game to use this kind of rubbers, so I don't really know. 
Defender was not tacky like reflectoid/submarine. (which, I am convinced, are exactly the same. I used both on one blade and tehy age the same. I have both new on my blade and I can turn black to FH without noticing. Sponge different colour but 100% the same.)
I also remember having played once with a globe 999 with a special soft chop sponge. 

notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2023 at 12:20pm
Get the Diode V. It's pretty close. I used to play with JSH, then moved to VKMO (~3 yrs) and now been using Diode for a coupe years.  As mentioned above Diode is faster than VKMO...   I personally think the only real difference between JSH and Diode is their thickness: 5.9 vs 5.7mm, JSH being slightly thicker.  
BETTERTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BETTERTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2023 at 4:30pm
Hi...I just saw that the new List of Approved Rubbers came out from the ITTF......and Giant Dragon Submarine is still on the current list.

For how long are these approvals normally valid for?  On the ITTF website, it is written that the  "PERIOD OF VALIDITY: from 1 January 2023 to 31 March 2023".

And, although its not as easy as in the past, you can still purchase Giant Dragon Submarine from quite a number of websites in the EU.  I have stocked up and bought quite a few in order to not have to search for them (and its not an expensive rubber......about 15 Euros).  I just hope that this rubber continues to stay on the ITTF approved rubbers list.  As a chopper who chops far from the table, this rubber works great for me on one side with long pips on the other side of the racket.  
pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2023 at 5:34am
does anyone bother a rubber not being on this list anymore? I suppose it depends what level you play? Nobody ever looks at it, maybe only on the highest/pro level? 
Maybe it is different when you play with pimples that have forbidden characteristics and have been banned for that reason, but submarine/reflectoid are very standard rubbers...

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2023 at 9:15am
Originally posted by pongp pongp wrote:

does anyone bother a rubber not being on this list anymore? I suppose it depends what level you play? Nobody ever looks at it, maybe only on the highest/pro level? 
Maybe it is different when you play with pimples that have forbidden characteristics and have been banned for that reason, but submarine/reflectoid are very standard rubbers...

Never seen it come up at a tournament. I have played against some ancient sheets. I think I had my blade and rubber inspected at one tournament in my life...

I think the main problem is once a rubber is no longer made, replacing it becomes problematic. 
RUSH View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 11:15pm
I like PF4 on thick sponge. For both my forehand and backhand. Many people say long pips on thin sponge or short pimples are good for chopping but I disagree from my experiences. Sorry. The main thing is using thick soft sponge to slow the ball down. This is so importance for the 40+ ball! Also sticky rubber will slow the ball down and kill spin. I try short pimples but the rubber eats the spin. I use PF4 and I can chop so easy. Keep the rubber sticky.. The others can not lift. I can win the long plastic player, he take my downspin push and go into the net. Thank you.

Edited by RUSH - 02/16/2023 at 1:57am
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by RUSH RUSH wrote:

I like PF4 on thick sponge. For both my forehand and backhand. Many people say long pips on thin sponge or short pimples are good for chopping but I disagree from my experiences. Sorry. The main thing is using thick soft sponge to slow the ball down. This is so importance for the 40+ ball! Also sticky rubber will slow the ball down and kill spin. I try short pimples but the rubber eats the spin. I use PF4 and I can chop so easy. Keep the rubber sticky.. The others can not lift. I can win the long plastic player, he take my downspin push and go into the net. Thank you.

Most blades made for defenders are large to very large. Therefore, one of the rubbers needs to be quite light. Reflectoid is very light and sort of acts like an anti-light when blocking, yet one can hit with it.

Another rubber option is Gewo Proton Neo. Very soft sponge and very light rubber overall. Ideal for choppers and true all-round players who use big blades with inverted rubbers. Doesnt soak up the incoming spin as easily as reflectoid but much better attacking capabilities.

Edited by Tinykin - 02/17/2023 at 8:31pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
RUSH View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2023 at 12:02am
Hello tinykin. I use a regular racket dhs. I do not know about equipments of the professional. I would like to try some new equipments. My racket is very good for defense.  I acknowledge alot of advantage of the shake hand racket and the dhs rubbers. The rubbers must not be old and hardened or they make my chopping skill not have any effect. Thank you. Also if I can get your opinion of palio cj8000 and hk 1997.

Edited by RUSH - 02/28/2023 at 10:11pm
ttvet86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvet86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2023 at 8:50pm
In my experience a rubber that resembles Reflectoid is Butterfly Tackiness Chop
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic