FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

friction limits on table surface

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: friction limits on table surface
    Posted: 12/21/2022 at 10:09pm
Recently I've been playing in a hall with the weirdest bounces I've ever encountered. 

What I noticed is that the table surface is very grippy - it was showing incredible amounts of resistance when I dragged my finger across it, and it even left a mark on it - the thing is almost like a tacky rubber in itself!

My experience was that this is incredibly disadvantageous for good servers because all serves, no matter how spinny it initially is, just became kinda no spin on the table (although the trajectory changes significantly). It also really hurts close table attackers because any kind of heavier topspin stroke simply skids very quickly after hitting the table - the ball really jumps hard at you, and benefits mid distance defensive blockers /rally players because any incoming topspin will have quite a lot of pace to borrow, and even heavy topspin becomes low spin balls after the bounce (yikes!)

Was just wondering if there was a standard for friction on table surfaces?

Edited by blahness - 12/21/2022 at 10:09pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2022 at 1:38am
ITTF logo tables have a friction spec.

Grippy table means that the table doesn't get cleaned.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2022 at 9:24pm
   THE BEST OUTDOOR TABLES.   
Nowdays, Melamine laminates are widely used as anti-skid floorings due to a remarkable surfacial grippiness. Also, all the low-cost recreational and allweather tables are mostly designes with a top board covered with melamine laminates as being a durable waterproof material, high friction grippy surface thought.
Yes, the uppermost CoF limit for table surface is set at 0.6 by the T1 ITTF regulations..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_resin

Edited by igorponger - 12/24/2022 at 5:11am
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2022 at 5:09am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

THE BEST OUTDOOR TABLES.   
Nowdays, Melamine laminates are widely used as anti-skid floorings due to a remarkable surfacial grippiness. Also, all the low-cost recreational and allweather tables are mostly designes with a top board covered with melamine laminates as being a durable waterproof material, high friction grippy surface thought.
Yes, the uppermost CoF limit for table surface is set at 0.6 by the T1 ITTF regulations..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_resin

BTW: minimum CoF ufor table surface is under consideration with the ITTF experts as yet.

Edited by igorponger - 12/24/2022 at 5:17am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2023 at 2:58am
Comparing with other racket sports, one of table tennis' huge factors is spin, in addition to the closer distance from the other player(s). As pickleball is taking over, eating lawn tennis from the inside (Seattle's and USA PB community is growing like crazy and I see PB paint lines on more and more public tennis courts), we can consider grippier tables as a way to go forward in addition to to the net height increase.

Question: is it really true that increasing net height would kill the LP choppers? Hitters would suffer as their opportunities for a straight line hitting the table would happen less but I can imagine loopers and choppers having about the same problems to adapt, the point being if we want to increase the length of rallies that make the game more enjoyable per many people (I do like ninja/kung fu 3rd ball kills following a cunny serve but it's not about me), grippier tables can be seen as a godsend because they increase shot safety and control strokes.

The real question is where do we want the game to go? When I see PB players taking over, I want to go further in spin and the grippier tables idea  is a nice way to get there.

In an action movie -I forgot the title- a father asks his son in the middle of a go game "What do we do when we cannot get out?" and the son answers "We got to go further in."

Question: what about covering the table with table tennis rubber? Now we're talking! ok silly joke...

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2023 at 5:06am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Comparing with other racket sports, one of table tennis' huge factors is spin, in addition to the closer distance from the other player(s). As pickleball is taking over, eating lawn tennis from the inside (Seattle's and USA PB community is growing like crazy and I see PB paint lines on more and more public tennis courts), we can consider grippier tables as a way to go forward in addition to to the net height increase.

Question: is it really true that increasing net height would kill the LP choppers? Hitters would suffer as their opportunities for a straight line hitting the table would happen less but I can imagine loopers and choppers having about the same problems to adapt, the point being if we want to increase the length of rallies that make the game more enjoyable per many people (I do like ninja/kung fu 3rd ball kills following a cunny serve but it's not about me), grippier tables can be seen as a godsend because they increase shot safety and control strokes.

The real question is where do we want the game to go? When I see PB players taking over, I want to go further in spin and the grippier tables idea  is a nice way to get there.

In an action movie -I forgot the title- a father asks his son in the middle of a go game "What do we do when we cannot get out?" and the son answers "We got to go further in."

Question: what about covering the table with table tennis rubber? Now we're talking! ok silly joke...

Don't give ITTF any ideas Angry
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic