Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close to table drives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ikellea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikellea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close to table drives
    Posted: 02/08/2023 at 9:11am
Hi, I just started playing table tennis about 2 months ago.  I'm learning about the different strokes and playstyles and prefer to play close to the table.  I like to dictate the pace of the game and look to pressure the opponent.  This results in me pretty much playing strong forehand drives near the table (maybe like 70% power).  It causes the opponent to go on the defensive pretty immediately because I'm trying to hit fast (not kill though) and positioning it to where they have to somewhat be out of position to return it (arm stretching/moving around etc.).  This is usually my gameplan going into games.  I know most people like to do forehand loops and step away from the table, I'm just not a huge fan of this because its pretty much forehand loop vs forehand loop (offense vs offense)  I prefer to drive near the table forcing the opponent to immediately go on the defensive (offense vs defense).  I've also been practicing hitting drives as low as possible (when it's almost net level in terms of height and hitting a line drive rather than taking it at a higher height) and trying to perfect this. I know there is more margin for error, so I have been told, and that is why I'm practicing it a lot.  

I'm curious if anyone has any input on this sort of strategy/gameplan and if it can work.  
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic