Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Q for Twiddler > Talent Search Models / Methods
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Q for Twiddler > Talent Search Models / Methods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q for Twiddler > Talent Search Models / Methods
    Posted: 02/14/2023 at 2:16pm
This question is for twiddler & other coaches in this forum

What methods do you use to identify talent say during your coaching sessions.

I think this also will vary vastly depending on age
There may be many other factors.

I am sorry but I have no table tennis examples
But I have always been fascinated by how talent scouts work in major pro sports like NFL, NBA etc.

How was the decision made that Lebron or Kobe can bypass high school for example
I know there were significant busts but then again lot of Heisman winners were also failures & I think nobody wanted Tom Brady (initially)

And I think twiddler was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball pro team. How did twiddler (his parents) choose tabletennis ?  And why ?

Edited by Ryan W - 02/14/2023 at 2:21pm
Sponsored Links

Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 3:28pm
I chose table tennis because Ping-Pong diplomacy had just happened in 1971. Table tennis was popular and in the news.
The USTTA had just announced the 1st ever tryouts for the National team and I wanted to go for that and decided to train for 6 months for them. I made the team and baseball was behind me for good. BTW I was not drafted just scouted.
Looking for a player's  potential -
1. Do they want to learn.
2. D they have the hops with their feet.
3. Talent is overrated. Hard work can surpass talent with passion.
4. Is there anything unique about them? Style, Physical, smart, innovative  etc......
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 3:32pm
In table tennis "talent" is a myth.  Ma Long was refused entry into a team in China when he was younger.  He had to play for a different province.  He got better and the rest is history.  I know a guy whose coach badmouthed him and didn't want to coach him.  After they parted ways, he made the national team of his country a few years later.  I also know of several people who would have been deemed athletically hopeless compared to other kids and ended up 2500+ simply because they played nonstop.

So, to me, the most important thing is a desire to play all the time.  The people I have known to get to a decent level do nothing but play table tennis.  They love to play.  They play every chance they get whether that is 2 hours a day or 8 hours a day.  Find a kid who is obsessed with the game and has the time and desire to play a ton of hours and you will find a good candidate for someone who will improve and go far. 
Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

In table tennis "talent" is a myth. 

I strongly disagree

I also know of several people who would have been deemed athletically hopeless compared to other kids and ended up 2500+ simply because they played nonstop.

No  it is not possible. In their very youth (say age 12 or 13)  many such players may have been deemed unfit but they could be late bloomers when they reach age of  17 or 18 etc,

Also you need to have some basic innate talent to reach 2500+. Are you saying just about anyone can reach 2500+ if they play everyday nonstop ? I don't think so.

In tabletennis any player that reaches about 2300 or 2400 has almost super human athletic talent & if they crack 2500 they are most definitely athletically almost super human.

There seems to be a myth or misplaced fantasy among tabletennis players that if you just keep practising everyday just looping both wings for hours that you can become like Ma Long or Waldner.

Yes you certainly can train to maximize your potential & consistency in executing various strokes such as loop but there is a saturation point for every player depending on their (God or whoever given innate)  talent. They just are not going to get any better or become Ma Long or Waldner even if they practise 24 / 7.  That is delusional.

Edited by Ryan W - 02/14/2023 at 4:13pm
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Ryan W Ryan W wrote:

I strongly disagree

I also know of several people who would have been deemed athletically hopeless compared to other kids and ended up 2500+ simply because they played nonstop.

No  it is not possible. In their very youth (say age 12 or 13)  many such players may have been deemed unfit but they could be late bloomers when they reach age of  17 or 18 etc,

Also you need to have some basic innate talent to reach 2500+. Are you saying just about anyone can reach 2500+ if they play everyday nonstop ? I don't think so.

In tabletennis any player that reaches about 2300 or 2400 has almost super human athletic talent & if they crack 2500 they are most definitely athletically almost super human.

There seems to be a myth or misplaced fantasy among tabletennis players that if you just keep practising everyday just looping both wings for hours that you can become like Ma Long or Waldner.

Yes you certainly can train to maximize your potential & consistency in executing various strokes such as loop but there is a saturation point for every player depending on their (God or whoever given innate)  talent. They just are not going to get any better or become Ma Long or Waldner even if they practise 24 / 7.  That is delusional.

It happens all the time.

If you think that every "2300 or 2400" player out there has "almost super human athletic talent" I question whether you've ever even seen a USATT tournament. 

Did you just compare 2500 to Waldner and Ma Long?

Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

It happens all the time.

What happens all the time ? A person with limited talent practises everyday & breaks 2500 ? REALLY

I question whether you've ever even seen a USATT tournament.

Obviously I have not  Embarrassed

Did you just compare 2500 to Waldner and Ma Long?

How is that ?
What I implied was that a player cannot break even 2500 if they do not have enough talent let alone become a Waldner or Ma Long.  Thanks for twisting it.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 5:29pm

How is that ?
What I implied was that a player cannot break even 2500 if they do not have enough talent let alone become a Waldner or Ma Long.  Thanks for twisting it.

"There seems to be a myth or misplaced fantasy among tabletennis players that if you just keep practising everyday just looping both wings for hours that you can become like Ma Long or Waldner.

Yes you certainly can train to maximize your potential & consistency in executing various strokes such as loop but there is a saturation point for every player depending on their (God or whoever given innate)  talent. They just are not going to get any better or become Ma Long or Waldner even if they practise 24 / 7.  That is delusional."

It was stated that low-talent players can get to 2500. Not Waldner or Ma Long's level.

Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 7:27pm

It was stated that low-talent players can get to 2500. Not Waldner or Ma Long's level.

Regardless of whether you yourself are a 2000+ player or not,  I don' t think you fully comprehend how hard it is for most players to reach a real rating of even 2000 in tabletennis with limited talent, let alone 2500.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 8:28pm

Regardless of whether you yourself are a 2000+ player or not,  I don' t think you fully comprehend how hard it is for most players to reach a real rating of even 2000 in tabletennis with limited talent, let alone 2500.

I have seen the training journeys of many many players who broke 2000 and 2500. So with all due respect, you are completely wrong, and it is pretty clear you are either a troll or "confidently incorrect".

Edited by bard romance - 02/14/2023 at 8:37pm
Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 8:35pm

I am 2000+ by a very comfortable margin, and have seen the training journeys of many many players who broke 2000 and 2500. So with all due respect, you are completely wrong, and it is pretty clear you are either a troll or "confidently incorrect".

OK I understand. I am wrong & you are correct.
These players  you talk about, especially those who who broke 2500, have no talent

Yes I am both a troll & "confidently incorrect"

May be you can coach me to get to 2500.
How much would you charge me for that, if I may ask

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 8:39pm

I am 2000+ by a very comfortable margin, and have seen the training journeys of many many players who broke 2000 and 2500. So with all due respect, you are completely wrong, and it is pretty clear you are either a troll or "confidently incorrect".

OK I understand. I am wrong & you are correct.
These players  you talk about, especially those who who broke 2500, have no talent

Yes I am both a troll & "confidently incorrect"

May be you can coach me to get to 2500.
How much would you charge me for that, if I may ask

"3. Talent is overrated. Hard work can surpass talent with passion."

Funny how you got your answer from Twiddler already which is who you made this thread for, and it's the one answer you chose not to reply to. 
Love_my_dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love_my_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 9:49pm
There are two kinds of coaches. One is always encouraging learners to play, which I endorse, and another is not when the coach perceives a player as lacking of talent and thus being hopeless, and persuades the player to abandon the idea of playing the sport.

In many cases, talent is only perceived subjectively, and thus a continuous variable. 

Through practice and good coaching, a learner can be a good player, e.g., over 2500 in ranking. But for some, no matter what practice or coaching, they cannot be that good because people differ in reaction, moving, force coordination, mental toughness, etc.

But sports are for fun, and being good or not does not really matter. Participation and engagement are more important, and the outcome is less.

------------
Keep active
Viscaria ALC (CS); FH: D09C; BH: Moristo LP
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 11:48pm
Oh brother, its Srinivas Janardhanan again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic