FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GRIP + RUBBER DILEMMA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GRIP + RUBBER DILEMMA
    Posted: 02/19/2007 at 12:55am
I need help!!!
Please bare with my story . . . my explaination . . .

I've been playing a long time and learned in my basement in NYC. There was no room. I had to play close to the table. My Dad was a sporting goods sales rep and got me the best Butterfly paddle at that time. It was hard to control the ball. I compensated by using a hybrid shakehand grip like a Seemiller. I do a V with my thumb and index finger on the back of the bat and push, block, brush sideways, and smash . . . all with one side. Up close I'm able to play really fast and cover mostly well, but inch by inch off the table my reach limitated becomes obvious. I can't bend my wrist enough to grab the corner to my BH like a typical shakehand player could; however, I have no crossover problem. I can take a shot hit right at my belly and push it over the net with good placement. I entered some tournaments, but never got past intermediate level. I couldn't handle the spinny stuff coming from the penholders who played mid or back. I later moved to China and began to beat some of those guys, but the smart players could force me to cover my weak far left then burn me on the far right-FH. I used PF4-1 for years, but got shamed into "upgrading" to more pro-like stuff. Well, I've been using H2, and although I can loop it better and whack it faster, I don't "feel" it anymore. Forgive the comparison, but it's a lot like the problem with the other kind of rubber . . . too thick and I can't feel a thing. :-). Also, I don't have enough control. Players have trouble with my stuff, but it's any guess where my placement will be. I'm just happy if I get it on the table. Anyway, now I'm trying G-666, The Looper, H3, C7 Long Pips, TG2+3 . . . basically anything from DHS to find what rubber is best for me. I know many people don't like DHS and/or think their stuff is overrated, and I respect that, but I've been trying to use their line to at least find what TYPE of rubber I should use, then find a better version from another company like 729, Stiga, etc.
If you're still with me . . .
What should I do?
I am moving back to China in September of 2008, and plan to play competitively. I want to go back there with all cylinders clicking.
Please give me any advise you can.
Grip?
Rubber(s)?
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 1:15am
grip- try holding the traditional shakehand grip, thumb on one side and the idex on the other.
rubbers- fh- nittaku h2pro, h3pro, reforma, and yasaka v stage. bh- stiga magna, almana
these are the set up i use, it will be different from players to players. its all about your style and preference
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 1:39am
Step 1: Get a coach.

Step 2: Get rid of your bad habits.

Step 3: Get rid of your company loyalty, it does no good for you.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 1:43am
1.Can't choose a coach until I know what kind of player I want to be. They teach their style.
2. Is it a bad habit to use this grip?
3. If I don't limit myself to one company then I have thousands of rubbers to choose from. I'm confused enough. I just want to determine what kind of rubber I should use from one company, then find the best of that kind.

If I'm wrong please correct me. I don't want to be right. I want to be better.
Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:01am
not all rubbers are suited for everybody playing style. figure out whats your strong points and build from there
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

fh/bh-Optimum MP

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:06am
Thank you. That's a place to start. What would you suggest for a player, who plays fast, close to table-mid, attacking most of the time, then varying with low flying chops and slices. I'm having trouble with DHS H2 for the chops and slices.
Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:11am

try v stage for fh, and euro rubbers (magnas and almana) are good for fast attacks

Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

fh/bh-Optimum MP

GantZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GantZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:33am
If i had the money and the time, i would grab a coach in a heartbeat.  It is ok to play seemiller grip, but you said you were going to China to compete.  Most likely the players over there will shame you into playing shakehand or penhold rather than fuss over the equipment you are using.  If you want to try alot of rubber from a company, than i guess thats fine.  It is probably cheaper to try stuff from the most expensive Chinese company than a Japanese or European company.
Equipment:
Petr Korbel
Sriver EL
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 10:52am
as you describe yourself you are an allrounder.
Try any combination of reverse or sp (reverse both sides, or sp both sides) avoid lp or anti untill you have a style. Play orthodox sh or ph in pref to seemuller unless you find it deeply compelling

Hurricane
and 802-40
are good chinese revers and sp rubbers

In the end the man is more important than the equipment
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 11:08am
as far as i know, seemiller grip is designed for better blocking.  there is nothing wrong with the grip, but i know that there are some people that switch from shakehand to seemiller during the game to increase their defense.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 12:56pm
Correct.  Seemiller grip gives you a great blocking game and an ability to wrist short balls w/bh easier than conventional shakehand grip.  Since most Seemiller grip players use primarily one side to hit with, they usually have a much different rubber on the other side for change.  A lot of them use anti.  You can do well at the intermediate levels with this grip.  Seemiller himself might be the only one to make to the US elite level with this grip.  You do get exposed as you move to mid distance - harder to cover angled shots to corners.  I occasionally use a Seemiller backhand when I expect a LP player to give me a no-spin serve - easier for me to hit through the ball.

As usual, TTFreak and paddy are handing out good advise.  You should figure out now what style of player you want to be and start training.  I have know a few people who gave up Seemiller grip as they got better.  GantZ is probably right in that a lot of people in China will give you some crap about playing with that grip.  About rubbers, I use several different company's stuff, it's OK.  Try some stuff with softer sponge to help you play both ends of offence and defense.  You will not find a lack of training in China, so don't sweat it too much.  Just figure out here what you wish to become and work towards that.  You will not become an advanced player right away.   Even advanced players get waxed in China.  Concern yourself instead with making progress through series of goals.  If you cannot get a coach, then team up with some advanced players willing to help you even a short while at a time. Use every chance you get.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 1:38pm
You guys rock!!! I am VERY grateful for the advice. I promise you are not wasting your time. I'm not advanced, but I've won enough games to get an invitation to join a city team in China. My grip is even more dedicated to blocking and pushing as I committ myself more than Seemiller by placing both my thumb and index behind the paddle. And, you are all right . . . the range thing is where I'll get waxed. As soon as the advanced players see me in a yoga position failing to his a ball in the corner they will simply pound me over there. My only defense to that has been to pre-emptively pound them down the middle at their crossover point and push the ball all over the place to distract them on their end. Put them on defensive, but this will not work with the really good players. When I'm over there they kinda admire that I make that hybride style work, but the novelty will wear off. I know it.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 1:45pm
Please tell me if this idea makes any sense. It should because I based it on some good sources! :-).
1.Get some good, basic rubber that has speed+control for FH.
2. Get something more defensive for chop+slice on the BH.
3. Get a coach and/or get free advice along the way.
4. Learn Shakehand.
5. Keep the Seemiller as my secret defensive weapon to switch to during a game.

Rubbers: I will stick with the DHS and Friendship/729 for rubbers until I figure out what is the best type for me.

Question: g-666 on FH (Many say it's like H3, but more "feel" and something else on BH . . . not sure what yet, but it needs to be good for pushing, blocking, slicing, and chopping.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:27pm
it is highly recommended that you learn the basics of shakehand.  i think that if you already have a fundamental or form with some of your strokes using seemiller, then you should not have any trouble with shakehand b/c they can be pretty "similar."  the bh rubber can be of any choice, but i would recommend short pips just for "extreme" variations.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 2:35pm
It's funny, the combination you suggest is the basic configuration that nearly every store bought combo paddle comes equiped with. I'm not critizing you. I'm just laughing at myself that perhaps my quest for the perfect combination will end up what every beginner buys. I guess I have to take comfort in the fact that I would be upgrading the quality of the 2 rubbers. :-).
Thank you.

Q: if I don't go with a pips out, what would you suggest as the best pips in variation from an H3 or H2 or g-666?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2007 at 8:23pm

with short pips you can decide whether you want to chop or attack the ball, or maybe you want to do both.  i think you have as much variation with sp as lp or anti, but you can actually attack better with sp.

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2007 at 4:04am
Quite frankly unless you feel like speedgluing none of them are that good, they'll do ok without it but nothing special. Since you're used to hard sponges I'd say go for the old 729s or the 999s if you're customing the sponge.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Weixing_Yinghao View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weixing_Yinghao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2007 at 5:43am
What about the andro rubbers..? They are nice for offensive play...
Blade: 729 Carbon ALL+.
Rubbers:red:Tibhar Grass Spezial (ox)
Black:DaweiSuperPower 2008 (2,1)
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2007 at 12:58pm
What is the best CHINESE rubber for Speed and Control?
What company?
DHS?
Friendship/729?
Other?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic