Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To J-Pen Or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To J-Pen Or Not?
    Posted: 10/13/2008 at 9:50pm
A request for opinions from the TT luminaries in this forum

Smile

I am training kids in my neighborhood basic TT skills(7 to 15 yrs old, boys/girls). Around equal number of shakers and penners (shakehand, penhold Wink)

One of the kids, around 11 yrs old, as of now proficient in penhold style of play but really wants to play J-Pen. He is a huge fan of me before I switch to shakehand defensive style of play (darkside) Big%20smile

My questions are:
Should I encourage or discourage him from J-Pen? Is this style still OK in this new TT era? Or is it going extinct?

A follow-up question, what are your opinions on Ryu Seung Min? Though he is still the best J-Pen player(WR#8 Sept. 2008), in his latest games since the 2008 Olympics, he lost more than he wins. Is he going out or he is just in a slump? Is the J-Pen style going out with him?

Thanks in advance for the ideas, opinions or comments...
Messing opponents with their own spins.
----------------------------------------------------
Main:
Sunflex Pro
Rubbers:Focus III/Nitakku Express

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
Rubbers:Palio CJ8000/DHS 652
Sponsored Links

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2008 at 10:02pm
it's a good style, but without RPB, it'll take so much more dedication in training to reach the highest level.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2008 at 11:01pm
Second what dalamchops said.  Top J-Pen players careers are usually shorter.  The minute they slow down or not in top physical shape (gaining weight) they will start to slump.  RPB might not be the sole answer but at least it should help to level the playing field against two-winged players.

If your student wants to try J-Pen, you should definitely encourage it.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2008 at 5:20am
 Of course you should encourage him. I wouldn't teach him the RPB though which is not suitable for the j-pen style of play, at least in my view.  Smile 
   There is  a very slight  chance that he or she will become a leading professional player  so you shouldn't be worried that j-pen players have shorter career at the very high level. With some changes in the strokes you can play well even in your late 70's.  And to convince yourself watch the men's 70+  Consolation final at the World Veteran's Championship between Minoru Kohakura and Kozi Suzuki. Smile

You can download it here:

Thanks to Redoya for the upload.
Single Ply Hinoki club
77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Thylacine Thylacine wrote:

Of course you should encourage him. I wouldn't teach him the RPB though which is not suitable for the j-pen style of play, at least in my view.  Smile 
   There is  a very slight  chance that he or she will become a leading professional player  so you shouldn't be worried that j-pen players have shorter career at the very high level. With some changes in the strokes you can play well even in your late 70's.  And to convince yourself watch the men's 70+  Consolation final at the World Veteran's Championship between Minoru Kohakura and Kozi Suzuki. Smile

You can download it here:

Thanks to Redoya for the upload.

Cool

Nice vid thylacine. Thanks. I am thinking of picking up my old J-Pen set-up once again...

Any recommendation for a faster J-Pen blade to compensate for the decrease in power of my playing arm due to injury. My injury is the main reason why I switched to a defensive style of play.

Main:
Sunflex Pro

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 5:13am
To dalamchops and GenomicsKnigh:

Are there any high level player that you know that play RJPB? ITTF top 200/300 perhaps? Or around 2400 USATT rated players?
Main:
Sunflex Pro

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic