Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Paddle is Right For me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
killerbobbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerbobbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Paddle is Right For me?
    Posted: 12/26/2003 at 12:24am
Hi,

I have been playing table tennis my whole life (I am 17 now), and am ready to take the big step of investing $100 into a paddle rather using the cheap ones (under $15). My playing style is very offensive, my forehand loop is exceptionally good. I am interested in the Yasaka Synergy with Mark V rubbers. I do not have a USATT ranking, and I have never played in any official tournaments. But, like I said, I have been playing my whole life (mostly against my family... we have a tournament every Thanksgiving, we are big into table tennis). I also try to practice every day, and probably practice 20 hours a week. I plan to join the table tennis team/club at the university I attend next year...

Some people say that the aforementioned paddle is ridiculously fast for me to use. Some people say it would be okay, as long as I know what I am doing.

I would be willing to switch to a Yasaka Offensive or some other paddle (and rubber) if you recommend me to do so...

ps What thickness sponge do you suggest?
wooo
Sponsored Links

sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2003 at 6:04pm

You should get a good paddle. Cost plus features are the deciding factor. You have to decide on the blade and the rubber. You might want to search vendors (like Yasaka, Stiga, ping-pong.com, etc) web site to check out the features of blade. For blade you have to choose between Speed, Control and weight. You don't want to take a blade 90 gms and above if your wrist is not very strong, it will tire you out in long rallies. As for speed and control, you could go for a higher speed paddle if it offers near 5.5 and above control.

Then what type of grip you want for the blade needs to be decided, if you hold your racket loose and do a lot of side angle spins like flicks or during the return of a  service then Anatomic or straight grip would be fine. If you want to maintain attacking style like topspin from forehand and backhand being your primary strokes then flared handle would be good.

You might want to search for Table Tennis Forums on the internet, at times I find peer reviews commenting on the rubber or blade. It helps understanding what problems or benefits others are getting.

Now for the rubber, Yasaka Mark V are good rubbers, take 2.0 mm anything higher is tough to control and anything lower may not give enough power and spin especiall with the 40 mm balls we have now.

I look at the speed, spin and control to decide the rubbers I want. I also look at any new technology such as Stiga's ACS, which makes rubber lighter but still gives good speed, spin and control. I have used Mark V in the past and use Stiga Magna 2.0 rubbers now.

Regarding the racket being too fast for you, yes it will be in the beginning, you have to get used to them and practice more to gain control, but to go to next level you have to have a good racket with good speed and spin so don't worry you will get over the hump.

Sanjeev Chopra

stews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2003 at 2:36pm

i really like my btw primo powerfeeling as a beginner blade. its not too fast, gives good control and works well with rubbers such as sriver 2.1 (which i use right now).

in general, get either mark v or sriver. they're solid for almost any game, and last a long time

ghspingclub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghspingclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2003 at 4:04pm

And remember, it's always better to get a blade that is too slow for you than a blade that is too fast for you.  I learned the hard way, and bought the fastest blade/setup I found.  Now I'm saving for an ALL+ blade.  In the long run, the slower blade will allow you to learn better forms easier.  As time past by, and you get better, bump up the speed one notch at a time.

I also agree with Stews that Mark V and Sriver are one of the best rubbers which offer solid control and speed.

-Matthew

-Matthew

trying to sell, only couple of weeks used: Mark V (black, 2.0mm) for $10, Stiga Clipper Wood WRB (flared) for $30, or both for $35. Shipping included. PayPal preferred. Email [email protected]
nosti49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosti49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2004 at 5:39am

Hi killerbobbarker,

playing very offensive I think it is a must that you minimum have an OFF- like the Primorac OFF- (I do not know, if it's available in Canada, can only speak for Europe). An ALL+ would be the ALSOLUTE MINIMUM. Please bear in mind that a lot of woods have a range of about +/- one or two ranges, i.e. one ALL+ might be in your subject feeling acting like an ALL- and the other like an OFF wood.

Therefore it is essential that you TEST it first and that means you should join a TT-club and ask the players there, if you could try their rackets for one or two matches.

Minimum here in Germany that is the usual way to safe money and get experience.

Only then I would finally decide what to buy. (Mark V I personally find too fast and use Sriver 2,5 mm with fresh glue on the forehand instead, as I also want to have a little more spin instead of only shot ability, but this depends on you own preferences)

Better try first before spending too much money for nothing I think....

Ciao

Norbert

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 5:55am
Dont know what paddle you have used before, that makes it hard to tell if your own combo is over the hill.

Yasaka synergy sound like a good option, havent played it myself though. But its a fast blade and doesnt weight a lot.

As for the fh-rubber I would go for Mark V M2 as its a little bit speedier and gives a little more spinn than the regular mark V. 2.0 or max depending on how fast you want it. Perhaps even the Stiga Almana could be something for you? Its a great rubber but it tends to be a shortlived one, but hey, its just money

Most people wants to play ther backhand a little slower, so you could either use the same rubber with a thiner sponge or you could go for Globe 999 (Exellent controll, good speed and spin) or try out DHS G666 a rubber that I found works great for my bh. Its a little faster than the globe.

Good luck, and remember that new equipment, no matter what you choose, will take time to control.
The holy grail
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 9:01am
Don't rush to buy, take your time, listen around, and try to get every opportunity to try blades from your friends. In this way you will get a suitable blade for you.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 10:23am

Originally posted by killerbobbarker killerbobbarker wrote:

Hi,

I have been playing table tennis my whole life (I am 17 now), and am ready to take the big step of investing $100 into a paddle rather using the cheap ones (under $15). My playing style is very offensive, my forehand loop is exceptionally good. I am interested in the Yasaka Synergy with Mark V rubbers. I do not have a USATT ranking, and I have never played in any official tournaments. But, like I said, I have been playing my whole life (mostly against my family... we have a tournament every Thanksgiving, we are big into table tennis). I also try to practice every day, and probably practice 20 hours a week. I plan to join the table tennis team/club at the university I attend next year...

Some people say that the aforementioned paddle is ridiculously fast for me to use. Some people say it would be okay, as long as I know what I am doing.

I would be willing to switch to a Yasaka Offensive or some other paddle (and rubber) if you recommend me to do so...

ps What thickness sponge do you suggest?

I can recommend you the synergy with stiga magna rubbers, some stiga sponsored player in my club uses it (even though its a yasaka blade) and I like a lot the combo, its very very nice, get max rubbers and enjoy!

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 12:36pm
You don't want to spend too much until you get a good idea of what you like. Something cheap and effective is a good bet. One of the resident dealers here is Cole_Ely, has a lot of Chinese products and includes a lot of services for no extra charge. TTman is another that has a few rarer finds. Zeropong is a good site; along with speedpong, eacheng and fashionpingpong (has very rare finds, expensive though).
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
stefanusj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanusj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 8:25pm
You better save more money for the blade.buy the best blade available (depend on your styles. Maybe borko, nittaku acoustic, kokutaku or darker speed or tanpan series) because its durable and good investment. I prefer buy one of the best (costly) blade than a few mediocre blades (only causing regrets in the end)

Rubbers is different story, it only lasts 3 month. Sriver, mark v is good. Better search for tensioned rubbers, because the feel is superb.
BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2006 at 5:19am
i use the same EXACT setup as stews, great combination for learning and the future. Sadly they stopped making the primopowerfeeling blade so good luck with that.
You're lucky I suck
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 6:08am
try cole ely and buy some cheap chinese rubbers
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 9:48am
Try coles or Zeropong website for some ideas.  Or you can try the some Dawei blades, they are pretty inexpensive as well.
Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic