FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[Video] Updates on my training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 12:29am

I have laboriously compiled this set of pictures for your studying purposes.  It is a frame-by-frame comparison of your FH vs. WLQ's FH at several parts of the swing: Backswing, Contact, Post Contact, and Follow through.  I have pulled these frames from the following videos:

1.21.11 Lesson Part 4 by ohhgourami @ 2:48
Wang Liqin vs. Chen Qi 2009 WTTC by ttcountance @ 5:04

Backswing

Contact

Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 12:31am
Post Contact

Follow Through

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 01/30/2011 at 12:34am
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 12:37am
I couldn't get a frame from you video for a "precontact" picture so I left it out.  A little about the WLQ vs. Chen Qi Point @ 5:04.  This is in the middle of a rally, so his stroke will not be as nice as his practice strokes, but you can still get good information from these pictures.  I also chose this match because the angle that they use is closest to the angles the ohhgourami uses in his videos.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 1:19am
that's  alot of hard work! i think it's pretty much the follow through that's stopping you from getting that super nasty loop a-la wlq...
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 2:34am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

that's  alot of hard work! i think it's pretty much the follow through that's stopping you from getting that super nasty loop a-la wlq...
 Its realy only the leg span of WLQ that realy shows up the  big shot difference
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

@icontek  thanks!  I was hoping that my progress compared to the first round was a good leap forward.  I've felt that my bh has been relatively the same throughout my playing, just timing has improved with the addition to just being confident and comfortable enough just loop every ball.  I think Steven only "had trouble" because of my inconsistencies. Embarrassed

@tpgh2k I don't think those shots were fast enough Tongue I realized that I was pushing off my heel the whole time (the last 2+ years!!!) and the loop drives I did at the end of the last vid were from trying out pushing off the balls of my feet.  After I starting doing that, I got a huge power and consistency boost.  And a lot of it has to do with my current sheet of H3 Big smile  Now to feel comfortable doing it and I think all my weight transfer, waist rotation, tense stroke, fail to elbow snap problems will finally all be gone!!!!  It's amazing how this one little issue right at the start of my stroke would derail my whole chain of motion!!!

I believe this coming Friday will be the last lesson I will be able to have (for a long long time) with Steven.  My greatest hope for the next lesson is to have correct motion for my fh so that way I will not screw up my fh while I'm on my own.

Firstly, your coach is a beast. Secondly, your backhand is amazing.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 2:38am
@Jeff WOW!!!  thanks for posting all those screenshots!  must have been tedious!  I never realized how similar my motion is to WLQ.  I've long stopped trying to emulate WLQ's form, but I guess it's been ingrained in my form now.

@Tuan  I'm surprised that my follow through turned out that way in that screenshot.  I never knew I actually hit like that.  I will try something else tomorrow and see how that works.

@Nori  Thanks!!!  You should watch his match with Tim Wang during the recent Nationals.

HEHEHE  Steven will be staying for at least another month which means at least 3 more lessons with him!!!  Big smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 6:02am
More updates!  Most of this lesson was getting my feet to move correctly and getting in place to hit.  I know many of you guys have told me to do the elbow snap, but I've gone over this with Steven and he is fine with me not snapping (at least for these shots).  I've also noticed another factor that adds to my stiff look: the way I pull my arm back to take my next shot.  This will definitely be the thing I'll work on for the next week or so until my next lesson!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-cYuyHJS0

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyQnigWRCXU

Enjoy and comment!
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 8:31pm
Your technique just keeps getting better and better with every new video you post! Great job! Thumbs Up

First off, your footwork is improving. You're moving more for every shot, and your transitions are also getting better. Although sometimes, you're either not moving quickly enough, not moving far enough, or just not moving at all. This results in mistiming, which causes you to dump the ball in the net if you're late or shoot off the table if you're a bit early. Especially with your Chinese rubber, timing is crucial. Work on more efficient movement.

In particular, your transition to the FH on the left corner of the table is very nice. Clap And you are adding more weight transfer to FH loops, hence the added power and accuracy. Still, sometimes you don't move at all when you transition between FH and BH, especially shots in the middle of the table. Work on your weight transfer, especially after a transition to FH from BH.

All in all, your improvement in footwork and transitions result in an obvious improvement in your shot consistency. It won't be long before you can start adding even more power while keeping the same level of consistency.

Good luck, and keep up the good work! Wink  
Viscaria
T05/T64
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic