Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

"Big Serve" - Have you tried it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jacksonm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksonm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Big Serve" - Have you tried it?
    Posted: 01/29/2011 at 6:24am
Maybe you've played it under a different name. Recently we've been playing this variation in a handicap round robin format at our club.

Here's some video I took of some of our players playing it on the 17/1/11

What do you think?

Edited by jacksonm - 01/29/2011 at 6:26am
Sponsored Links

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 7:01am
Wtf?:o
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
pinger123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 8:05am
No I haven't tried it and to be honest I cant see my trying it in the near future. 
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 8:21am
Unless those players don't play competitively against player from another club than this is pointless, developing skill you can't even use in real competition...

Edited by dragon kid - 01/29/2011 at 8:23am
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 8:29am
All I see is the possibility of getting owned by a Ma Lin style drop shot off the bounce from your "Big Serve"  The rally isn't going to start if that happens.

Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 12:53pm
Is that legal?
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 2:01pm
Of course this is useful - work on your defense, or counterttack away from the table.  This is like counterloop training, but in a game format.  Looks fun to me.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 2:06pm
Interesting concept.  I assume it is done to make the game more rally oriented than 3rd ball attack.  It also takes away the spin deception in service that spectators have a hard time following.  I think both aspects of the change has the possibility of making the game much more spectator friendly.    It does eliminate so much of what makes really good players good (all that short game stuff) so I do not think many better players are going to be interested.  It does seem like a fun way to get "recreational" players into the game.

Could you post the rules here.  I do not like going to unknown links if I can avoid it.

Mark
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 2:55pm
Fun it is. But how does that going to help your game? The server can't develop proper serve, the receiver can't train proper serve return (which might screw their return from a proper serve in real game).
On real match play, the server might not even get to that distance to play the stroke they train without having a decent short game.
So for fun purposes OK. But can't see how that will help develop your real game.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 6:16pm
Actually, the clubs of the amateurs are free to establish any rule modifications they like so as to keep up better enjoyment in play.
Some of the most interesting:
- the net shifted 15 cm from the centre line towards the participant of smaller stature.
- double's players are bound to use one single racket alternately.
- a gap of 50 cm between the table's halves.
As for my own taste, I do prefer some tricky strokes in accordance with the Rules, for they are utterly usefull in official matches as well.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2011 at 8:20pm
lol you do know what the big serve is right?....it's how you practice loop rallies...
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2011 at 12:40am
what the hec    ....    k?!?!

ShockedWacko
jacksonm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksonm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 4:15am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Interesting concept.  I assume it is done to make the game more rally oriented than 3rd ball attack.  It also takes away the spin deception in service that spectators have a hard time following.  I think both aspects of the change has the possibility of making the game much more spectator friendly.    It does eliminate so much of what makes really good players good (all that short game stuff) so I do not think many better players are going to be interested.  It does seem like a fun way to get "recreational" players into the game.

Could you post the rules here.  I do not like going to unknown links if I can avoid it.

Mark

Here's an image I copied from the website, hope you can see it OK.

Edited by jacksonm - 02/01/2011 at 4:17am
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 4:52am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

lol you do know what the big serve is right?....it's how you practice loop rallies...

LOL hahaha sooo true!  i didn't even notice until you mentioned it.  im surprised how many people struggle at doing the "big serve"
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 7:22am
Or......you could just play a normal service/service return and engage a smash/lob rally?    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic