Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What are u training currently?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are u training currently?
    Posted: 02/09/2011 at 6:22am
Hey guys, I thought it would be fun to start a thread on what areas/aspects of ur game you are working on right now..........including what drills u are doing too!!Smile
Who knows we may also end up learning something from each other's posts!

Anyways lemme start first!!
1) Integrating backhand looping with the rest of my game.
2) Footwork (and recovery).
3) Shortening my strokes. 

Eager to hear from the rest of you......
Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa JO Gold (FH)/Yasaka Mark V (BH)

Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa X1(Turbo) Platin(FH)/Xiom Vega Europe (BH)
Sponsored Links

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 6:26am
BTW, about the drills im doin,here goes......
1) the x-h drill wherein i loop alternatingly with bh and fh.(for integrating my bh loop)
2) fh looping blocked randomly by my patner.
3) And , of course, multiball!!

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 6:38am
footwork for transitions and just footwork in general.

shortening my transition from bh to fh
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 7:48am
condition! i do fitness bike and squash since this morning...
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 7:56am
I have been working on service return, increasing counter-looping consistency and my foot-work starting near table, to mid distance and back in again.

Its been so cold at home that I've had trouble getting any of my practice partners to come by. So I have been drilling with the robot for the past week. My drills for service return and counter-looping are pretty obvious. The footwork exercise I the robot to a 3 ball drill, starting close to the net with a flick, increasing robot speed to a counter hit, then increasing speed again to hit deeper on the table allowing me to step back to mid distance for a loop. Then the robot speed lowers and the sequence starts over again.

Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 8:15am
1. taking my time between point. Taking my time before serving (take a few seconds from ready to serve position and throwing the ball) and receiving (by slowly getting back to receive position). This has help my game a lot.
2. Add one step back after serving and receiving. I use to stay very close to the table, Now I try to add the distance by moving back one step after serving and receiving. When the ball goes long, I will take another step back and prepare the next shot. Give me more time to hit or receive the ball in the beginning of a rally. Also help me tremendously..

In short, what I've been working is trying to fix some bad habits. I tend to rush my shots, Adding a few milisecond between my shots seems to get me to play better... Confused

Edited by dragon kid - 02/09/2011 at 8:20am
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 10:55am
forehand loop, forehand loop, forehand loop, and more forehand loop.

Biggest part of my game has to be my forehand loop.  I used to use my backhand counter and backhand loop to win most of my points.  now i realize that without an explosive forehand, i cannot win games against high rated players.

Footwork is also another key thing im working on, but that kind of goes with my FH loop.

A great drill that im working on and seen many of my really talented friends do is 2 backhand counters (on ur bh side), then two fh loops (on ur bh side), one forehand loop on the opposite corner (which would now be ur fh side) and then back again.  

I'm not gonna stop practicing this until i can repeat this cycle a good 9-10 times without missing consistently.  this is a great drill for footwork and all around play

Edited by ZJKandMLfan - 02/09/2011 at 10:56am
Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 11:09am
-footwork/recovery
-leg conditioning/strength training
-abs/obliques
-lower back training
-strategies/anticipation
-patience
-Most importantly, playing with a goal

The last one is more important to me because i catch myself all the time playing for the hell of it. No strategy, no care whether i win or lose. But now i focus on areas i need to work on before warmup and before the game itself. so far i have improved on my footwork in 2 weeks.  Got at least one game from my teammates ranked WAAAAY higher than me. 
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 1:34pm
  • Increasing quality of placement: in both the long and short game. In my short game historically I have sucked at dropping the ball into inconvenient locations for my opponent, I just got it back over the net. Also my loops and my pushing had more of a focus on maximizing spin and speed so often times the placement suffered and if they could handle the big push or big loop the shots were ineffective in setting up the next one. So now I've been trying to go beyond the corners or actively seek the crossover point, even if that means giving up a little spin/speed.
  • Improving defensive shots: dead chops, heavy spin chops, passive blocks, drop shots, etc. I am not good enough to attack constantly, I can admit that, and often times what ends the point is when I start an attack and get a ball I don't expect or am not ready for, I keep trying to attack anyways (mainly because everyone says you are supposed to and the pros can keep attacking just about anything). This was the case historically anyways. Now when I get a ball I don't expect, I execute a defensive shot, not only to change the pace to surprise my opponent, but to give myself time to recover and start the attack again from the ready. This is especially important since I am pretty big. So while I have lots of power,  I am pretty slow and lumbering on my feet compared to the smaller guys I see bouncing around.
  • Improving footwork/recovery/continuity: Like I said, I'm pretty big so my footwork isn't the greatest (My reach really great though LOL). I try to keep my weight in a controlled position throughout the stroke, especially at the end, so during the recovery footwork is easy and quick to execute. Also, I've been told to not stop or pause between strokes as this is another bad habit that will especially catch you if you get some slow balls then a surprise fast one.
  • Wait for the ball: This should be an obvious one but my feeble mind just thinks I really need to hit the ball way out in front of my body sometimes. Stupid brain, just what are you thinking...
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

footwork for transitions and just footwork in general.

shortening my transition from bh to fh
+ controlling my serves ( length and strength, spin ) Wink 

Edited by Pioneer - 02/09/2011 at 2:59pm
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 1:55am
@ dragonkid:
Hey this had been a major problem with my game too..............
1) taking time between points is so damn important....... somethin i never used to do...... but a coupla losses in close matches against opponents whom i could ve beaten easily made me realise this.
2)And moving back after service/receiving/ moving back after the first loop was a big prob for me too....... but ve finally got over that too......it was more of a mental control thing.But seriously after getting over these small hassles the improvement in my game is totally unbelievable......
cheers!Smile

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 6:05am
@BMonkey: hey just curious......how tall r u??

Slade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 6:47am
BH chop
BH LP push against incoming push
FH kills
USATT 1700 ··· 11/02/2013   ◄ ПЕШ
MrSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 6:50am
Returning wide, short, topspin, anti clockwise services from my forehand and
returning wide, short, topspin, clockwise services from my backhand are killing me! please help! Smile
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 7:52am

@MrSmash: service returns have been discussed in the forum on various occassions......

anyways, here are some tips that might help:
1)first always learn to read what kind of spin the incoming ball has.......once u r able to do this 50% problem solvedSmile
2)And then know which spin will go in which direction after hitting ur paddle...... and learn to control the incoming spin by playin it in the opposite direction.
3)one golden rule i always used to follow when i was havin difficulty with service returns was to always receive the serve very slowly when ur facing heavy spin..........
For example when u r receiving a heavy sidespin forehand pendulum serve, place ur bat such that u are aiming at the opponents forehand corner and then importantly dont do anythin(reach to the ball but dont move ur bat from thereon) .....let the ball come hit ur bat.....u ll be surprised to see how easily u r able to land the ball!! this way the spin is negated(well not entirelybut pretty much..)
Once u r able to do this and land the ball (mostly understand the feel) then u can easily learn how to manipulate the servers spin & how to loop/drive heavy serves.
Hope this helps!!
PS : whatever i ve said is imo.....

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 2wingloop 2wingloop wrote:

6'3" (190.5 cm)
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 12:15pm
I'm currently training on using the coolest and best advanced robot made to date.........soon to be reviewed and shown. 

Approve

MrSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 1:23pm

@MrSmash: service returns have been discussed in the forum on various occassions......

1)first always learn to read what kind of spin the incoming ball has.......once u r able to do this 50% problem solvedSmile
2)And then know which spin will go in which direction after hitting ur paddle...... and learn to control the incoming spin by playin it in the opposite direction.
3)one golden rule i always used to follow when i was havin difficulty with service returns was to always receive the serve very slowly when ur facing heavy spin..........
For example when u r receiving a heavy sidespin forehand pendulum serve, place ur bat such that u are aiming at the opponents forehand corner and then importantly dont do anythin(reach to the ball but dont move ur bat from thereon) .....let the ball come hit ur bat.....u ll be surprised to see how easily u r able to land the ball!! this way the spin is negated(well not entirelybut pretty much..)
Once u r able to do this and land the ball (mostly understand the feel) then u can easily learn how to manipulate the servers spin & how to loop/drive heavy serves.
Hope this helps!!
Hey I am greatful for the tip.. next time i will search the forumn, sorry. Just I lost my team match yesterday simply from these serves at key points in the sets GRRRRR. Training with your tips tonight...
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 1:42pm
1. placement with my forehand loop...
2. smashing lobs/ weak high returns...
3. conditioning my legs so i can stay low and move faster... 
4. not just attacking with my Arm
5. keeping my focus on the ball
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 4:09pm
Mainly chopping and developing a better defensive strategy through focusing down my serves. Also perfecting the aggressive long pips push and forehand service receiving on very short serves, gotten lazy or something, or people have noticed that I favor my backhand for receiving serves and stand a little further back even at start due to defending.

Edited by Jonan - 02/10/2011 at 4:54pm
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 7:47pm
Not missing 2 serves per game... Dead lol !

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2011 at 12:36am
I'm working on service receive, mainly correctly reading half-long serves and looping the with a short spinny loop, or a drive (loop kill) if the serve is high enough,as well as all of the things I mentioned in this second post within this thread lol:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39879&title=help-with-service-return
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2011 at 1:13am
Originally posted by MrSmash MrSmash wrote:

Hope this helps!!
Hey I am greatful for the tip.. next time i will search the forumn, sorry. Just I lost my team match yesterday simply from these serves at key points in the sets GRRRRR. Training with your tips tonight...

All the very best Big smile

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2011 at 1:14am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

6'3" (190.5 cm)
Woah!! U must be havin one hell of a reach!!

2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2011 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

I'm currently training on using the coolest and best advanced robot made to date.........soon to be reviewed and shown. 

Approve

Video plz!!Tongue

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 1:37pm
Footwork, Footwork, Footwork.

Bread and butter drill is a BH counter hit, FH loop from BH corner then FH top spin down the line from the FH corner.

I'm basically pretending like I'm a penholder but I use shakehand. Coach says my footwork needs to improve a lot more.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 2:10pm
Long distance chopping. Both forehand and backhand. That and more all around variation. 
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic