Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Ping Pong Buddy Ball Picker Upper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 4:31pm
My club mate used a rectangular plastic box and attached a broom handle to the top, he used dental floss on the bottom in a grid pattern to p/u the balls. Works very well.

I'll post a pic later.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Sponsored Links

jim2204 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim2204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2011 at 1:03am
I want to make one myself. But how do you attach the produce net to the badminton frame?...do u sew it on? And what is the best way to put the strings on the frame? anyone?
joebulatao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2013 at 3:42pm
MyPingPongBuddy is only$35 + $15 s/h including Alaska and Hawaii , free shipping for a minimum of 3 units.. We are currently offering a limited promotional sale to Canada and European countries for only $60USD  shipping included but only 1 per customer.
Thank you MyTT and members for helping me survive life here in Las Vegas. ( Them one armed bandits are terrible!! )
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 5:46pm
I was planning to make a ball collector of the 'bucket' type. Then I saw this principle so now I'll make both types :) Though I think the bucket type is easier to use (you can do it in a much more relaxed posture with 1 hand opposed to the pingpongbuddy),BUT I can't get past the idea of picking up balls beneath the table without getting on my knees.

Not only do I have a robot myself but at the club I'm playing, there are some older players who have trouble picking up the balls from the floor. Lots of respect for those guys who just can't stay away from the game and are still fighting for every point    So I thought I'd to them a favor and make some ball collectors.

that aside:

My version of the pingpongbuddy is about ready. I used a old badminton racket and bended carefully around a big pipe until 45°. I bought a plastic tube used for water piping with inner diameter slightly bigger than the handle of the badminton racket. I used also the same kind of elastic with fabric. The biggest issue I have now is the plastic net. I can't seem to find aby that is big enough and at the same time strong enough to hold the balls. i tried with panty's but it wsn't good enough. Cant hold enough balls compared to the bucket. Still searching for that plastic net... I'm not plannig on buying 50m of that

For the bucket type I'll also use a piece of plastic pipe used for sewerage (big diameter this time), the fabric string and a tube to attach to the big one as handle.

greetings

Thijs (Belgium)
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 5:50pm
i made one for probably less than one US dollar

can pick up up to about 6 balls at once, can hold about 60 balls (enough to fill an entire shoe box)

has been in service for years

:)
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 6:22pm
some engineering thoughts for those interested in making their own:

if you use some type of a stretchy cord - have it recessed inside of the housing.  that way you avoid having the fraying from wear which will quickly and eventually wear out the cord, necessitating replacement.  the 'butterfly net type' (not the brand manufacturer, but similar to a fishing/butterfly net) - with like a wire hanger type frame - where you skim along the ground, invariably wears out where it touches the floor

if you tie the cord too tight, depending on your collection type (open top or enclosed) - it could actually catapult them through your apparatus, it does not take a lot of tension to hold many ping pong balls

having a long handle - might be good on range, but, you cannot necessarily reach under the table.  depending on your table manufacturer/understructure type - having a shorter stick can actually allow you to pick up balls under the table.  i've seen some made with a swivel, that's a nice convenience

i've also seen square and round ones made - i haven't seen the advantage of either, the shape doesn't really matter

i have also seen conduit tubes being used - both flat ended and slanted end with a string placed on the end.  the problem with these is their limited capacity

:)
dorfmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorfmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:08pm
Just got one of these things and really like it. I also have one of those plexiglass tube ball pickers that I got with my Newgy robot but this is very fast to pick up large #s of balls after a robot session.
kingfisher1688 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingfisher1688 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 10:31am
hi Guys,
Was researching on how to DIY a ball picker and chance upon your thread.

Thanks for the creative ideas and here is my setup using butterfly net and elastic band.

I have tried picking up at least 70 balls at one go without any issue. 

mark20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 11:15am
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 11:17am
Originally posted by mark20 mark20 wrote:

WHERE???

Click the picture for feedback ^
mark20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 11:29am
That is frm a company par aide. You can google it.
I was trying to make one. I was researching about it then i discovered that par aide got this idea from rolling nut picker.
There are several companies that make this.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 11:39am

Link: http://cart100.com/Product/36133313269/Chinese_silver_bird_table_tennis_robot_b/
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 11:46am

Edited by Pondus - 04/09/2015 at 11:46am
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:33pm
I have bought 7 MyPingPongBuddies.   2 for me. 4 for the club and one for the coach.
I have restrung 1 over the last few years.

The club has carpet on the floor in most places so normal ball scoops don't work well.

Getting the right fishing line is key to restringing.  It should be about 25-30 lb test. 20 was too low.

bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2015 at 9:54am
I'm right there with you!  The MPPB's are, by far, the best ball picker-uppers I've ever used!

I've bought 10 of them - plus a couple spare heads -  since early 2012.  Several of them were sold, and a couple (very early models) were broken due to VERY careless use (abuse really!).  We have 4 that see regular use at the club.  I also have one at home for garage sessions.

I would hate doing multi-ball or robot drills without them.  In the past we've used nets, tubes, and even brooms and collection boxes, but the MPPB's are the best by far!  Kids have been known to argue about who GETS to pick up balls next!  

bes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic