Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap blades, Diamonds in the rough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap blades, Diamonds in the rough
    Posted: 04/23/2011 at 4:23am
I'm interested in what people have bought in the $10 from China price range of blades and considered them a good blade. I've tried a few and apart from the not quite full size handle the GuoQiu W-01 is really something, it really makes you wonder how good the higher end blades from this company are. Anyone found others apart from your usual Galaxy 896 and Instincts on eacheng that are good in this price range
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 4:52am
How much does it weigh?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 5:18am
I can only answer that with "light" I didn't weigh it but it's lighter than all the other cheap blades I bought, one shop that sell it states it's weight at 75 grams, I'd say that's about right. It's a paulowinia core but a very light grade of it, very soft like a balsa, limba outers apparently, it's a thin blade with lots of flex and pretty smooth. I was quite surprised by it so I'm going to order a couple more of them. I also got a Instinct, 896 and a few others. The order of flex on them is (I'll put my acoustic in the line for comparison of flex). It's only rated as medium speed but I don't know, I don't think it's slow

Stiff| Instinct, Galaxy 896, Nittaku Acoustic, GuoQiu W-01 |Flex

Edited by bluebucket - 04/23/2011 at 5:20am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 5:28am

Thank you for the suggestion! Beer

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 2:57pm
The Palio B-series blades are well made and not just for their prices. The lower end of the Sword brand, however, is not.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 2:10am
Which B series Palio / s have you tried, I'm kind of looking for blades that have a soft feel and some flex and a good tone, I know it's asking a lot for a $10 blade but you never know :)?. So far most of the cheaper ones have been hard surfaced and quite full of vibrations. I'm not sure what that means for the faster Stiga's and the HK if most of the $10 blades share their "qualities" :P>??

Edited by bluebucket - 04/24/2011 at 2:11am
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 2:51am
funny, if blades were never made to play, it would be useful to compare them only by vibrations, price and color... on the other hand, if you are a developing player, both the faster and the cheaper blades (with few exceptions) will most likely deter your advancement.
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 3:36am
The reason I buy these blades is to give or sell cheaply to young players I coach who when they come to me usually own some kind of very bad pre made that is corrupting their form. 12 year olds can't all afford a Primorac and 20-30$ rubbers each side, they don't have that kind of money. So what I look for is simply the best combo of blade and rubber for a price, IMHO some of these $10 blades are every bit as good as a many popular $100 blades it's just a matter of finding them. Also young kids don't want to all own the same blade as every other kid in the club even if one blade is better than the rest of them so you need to find a few different good blades. All these things need to be considered :). Of course all of the blades need to be ALL or ALL+ and I keep the FH rubbers at 2mm and the BH at 1.8mm which is what I've found the best thickness for a developing young player, but rubbers is for another thread another time. The reason for the thread is to bounce ideas with other people in my position (like Imago) to try and find good and cheap quality blades suitable for the kids development and enjoyment

Edited by bluebucket - 04/24/2011 at 3:38am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 5:10am

These are good specs even for a 1800 player.

C-2 is also a good shot
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 9:46am
Imago, I got the 729 C-2 last order also. It's pretty nice have you tried it? it was probably the slowest of the blades I tried last time a very good speed for proper beginner, nicely built, bit of vibration. It has a very nice full sized handle, all the plies are the same size etc. The C-1 was slightly more "expensive" at $13 but I put one of those into my new order to try it since it's made from different woods and I felt perhaps it will be a little smoother and nicer to use. I've also ordered another C-2 because I did like the build quality on it. A Jade Sword, Palio KA, one more Instinct and 3 x GuoQiu W-01's.

Last time I used 729 fx, this time I'm trying 3 nine (999) on the FH since it's a little harder and I have tried the basic cheap version of 3 nine in max before and it's a good rubber, I like it more than 729fx personally for myself so I'm going to try it in 2.0mm for the kids. eacheng don't sell the Mercury II in 2.0mm but I ordered a sheet of unknown hardness for myself in 2.2mm just to see how it is since all you guys love it :0.

I want the blades to be fine to play with from zero level to about 1800 like you say, that's the goal and they seem to be good enough so far especially the W-01 since that was my favorite from the last order
patient.bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patient.bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 3:48pm
Zeropong has this LKT Loopsonic Transformer blade for $7.
In my opinion, it plays like the Instinct+ if not better.
Don't know why it is so cheap!
Stiga AR NCT + Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm.....and a few others
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 2:03am
Just updating this, the new lot of W-01's I got are not made from the same wood !, they now have a spruce 2nd ply like a OC or HK. They are a little less flexible with a thicker core and a bit faster. How strange :)?. I also got a Palio KA which is very nicely built, better looking wood than the latest W-01's and feels dead yet springy just like a HK except slower. It's ALL round and the HK is a little faster than that but not a lot faster. Like the HK and other spruce based blades with high dwell and flex, these blades become much much faster than they seem with you start hitting. Anyway the Palio KA is very good, infinity better than the Instinct imho. 

I also got the 729 C-1 which feels a little bit nicer/softer and more dwell than the C-2 and C-3 and is rated a touch slower than those. The Jade Sword feels much like the C-2 and C-3. They are all good blades in their own way, later on I'm going to order a few more of the 729 blades but this time in the 10-20 $ range and also a couple more of the slower Palio's

Edited by bluebucket - 05/02/2011 at 2:04am
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 4:16am
tulpe 3003 carbon and tulpe 7007 carbon. Cheap blades but good quality that can rival most popular brands.  
Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 4:22am
Does somebody know about Qiu Zhong Hui blades? I had one, year ago, off carbon hk 648 (or 644), it's blade in class of waldner carbon senso, but better in my opinion, loops equally good, but smashes better . I'd like to buy it again, but dont know where?
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 6:05am
There's a lot of very good and cheap blades around... unfortunately they often lack in quality control, so the next one you get may not be anything like it. It costs a lot to make blades consistant even over the long term, but it's up to you if you're willing to pay the extra money to get a consistant blade.
Unfortunately not all expensive blades are consistant either, so you still can't be sure.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 6:53am
Thought I better take some pictures of the Palio KA after the usual finishing touches before I glue some rubbers on

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 10:49am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Which B series Palio / s have you tried, I'm kind of looking for blades that have a soft feel and some flex and a good tone, I know it's asking a lot for a $10 blade but you never know :)?. So far most of the cheaper ones have been hard surfaced and quite full of vibrations. I'm not sure what that means for the faster Stiga's and the HK if most of the $10 blades share their "qualities" :P>??

The B21. Very crisp feel. Sound on bare blade is relatively high compared to other 5-ply blades I've heard. Over 6mm thick and no flex. Then again, I've never felt any blade flex in my hand when looping or driving anyways. Vibration is minimal and feel is on the low end---just the initial crisp *tock* and that's it. Could be the thick rubber on both sides---2.2mm Palios. I think the whole setup is somewhat fast, but someone who uses T25 on both sides said it was slow.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 11:12am
Sounds nice enough to try one, most blades flex a fair bit but depends how fast and forward you swing, most all wood blades 6.0mm are quite bendy. The KA is actually 7 mm so I don't expect it to flex much but it probably will a bit since it's a light grade of wood
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 11:24am
what is a good cheap stiff blade?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
yohan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2014 at 1:20pm
To summarize: Back to to Dimand serach ; now we have yinhe N9, yinhe t11+, yinhe y2, yinhe t2, palio ka,  Guo Qiu W01,  729 C-1, 729 super 2 carbon, c o can someone who is familiar with those blades can briefly put them in best quality order with few comments ? what could have been the best 3 combo around 15-25 $in total ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic