Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

how to beat players who are good at blocking?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
PenSpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PenSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 1:55pm
Yeah man we need like online table tennis battles, where people put up videos and vote for whose better based on their video. Be like I challenge you to TT video dual.
Sponsored Links

chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I hadn't even heard of Kenta Mutsudaira before today.  I like his blocking.  I looked for other Kenta Matsudaira videos but they didn't show him blocking as much as in the Ma Lin video.

I don't think he plays that good before or since.  He had another good match against WLQ a while after that (world against CN or something like that).  If you like blocking watch He Zhi Wen.  His style is so logical and effective.  I think your blocking will improve just by watching his matches!
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 12:00am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I hadn't even heard of Kenta Mutsudaira before today.  I like his blocking.  I looked for other Kenta Matsudaira videos but they didn't show him blocking as much as in the Ma Lin video.
I don't think he plays that good before or since.  He had another good match against WLQ a while after that (world against CN or something like that).  If you like blocking watch He Zhi Wen.  His style is so logical and effective.  I think your blocking will improve just by watching his matches!

He Zhi Wen uses short pips. That's why he can move spinny loops around he table so well.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 12:42am
It's harder for invert but I think we can learn a lot from his placements.  Like his serve wide to his opponent FH (assume a right handed) then down the line block combination.  Use it when you play a lefty who first loop is not strong enough to kill you.  Even when he knows what's coming, it's very hard to deal with it.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 10:15am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFO86h0oh2w&feature=related

Guess Danie could teach some of these guys something about sidestepping A couple of points played that shows why it's such a big risk to step around and committ to the shot.
The holy grail
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:19pm
C'Mon Speedplay. You can take danie in a match and show 'em Urself, like you would vs Der_Echte.  :)  :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

If you like blocking watch He Zhi Wen.  His style is so logical and effective.  I think your blocking will improve just by watching his matches!
Awesome!  Great videos and examples of how to be an aggressive blocker.
That is the way I would like to block.  Stay at the table, take balls off the bounce, hit the balls here there and everywhere so the opponent is always reacting and never dictating the pace and the game.  This is much different from LP blocking.

I do that agressive blocking on a much lower and slower level when I play with my hard bat.   It still gives people problems.  A major difference is that I try to keep the ball low and use much less power.   What is similar is the ball placement so the other person must move.

What is funny is that when I asked Les ( a hardbat player ) at the Paddle Palace for advice on what paddle to get last year he  asked my how I played.   He recommended a Samsonov Alpha with short pips.  I didn't listen ( mistake ) and bought a TBS+2xT05.  Now I am almost back to the Samsonv Alpha with SP.

I think the pen holder has an advantage in some ways in that the FH rubber can be used almost all the time.   In He Zhi Wen's case I haven't seen him use the other side.  He must always use his FH SP. 
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 2:11am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

C'Mon Speedplay. You can take danie in a match and show 'em Urself, like you would vs Der_Echte.  :)  :)

Der_Echte? That joker wouldn't stand a chance against me
The holy grail
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 2:22am
moderately keen to see danie play actually :D
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 10:14am
Speedplay, best not let Der_Echte hear that.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 12:06pm
I am not a very high level player but I do have some opinions on the best way to play blockers. This is assuming that you are playing an inverted blocker and not antispin/LP.
Typically blockers try to take the ball very early in the bounce and put very little energy back into the ball. They rely on placement.

Also I have noticed that blockers tend to be very stationary, standing near the center of the table and typically don't possess good footwork. Usually they tend to be older players, younger players tend to gravitate towards an attacking style.

Unless you are very very consistent and have good footwork you will not be able to beat a blocker using a power game. Hitting the ball as hard as you can without regard to placement will lose you points through missed shots and not having the footwork and reaction to attack a ball that is blocked off the bounce.

My advice is to first explore the blocker's game. Is blocking the ONLY thing he can do? If so, beating the blocker might not take anything more than performing high spinny loops that require a smash. In this case it's best to land your lobs near the end of the table since it is exceedingly dangerous and difficult to drop shot a deep lob. If the blocker can only smash the ball 30% of the time then you should have this game won, the more he misses the slams the less confident he will become. If he fishes the ball back over, take a strong angle shot (do NOT go off the end of the table. Your ball should go off the sides).

If the blocker is a competent blocker then you'll need to rely on placement and spin. Slow loops are good here. The point is to MAKE THE BLOCKER MOVE, and make him MOVE A LOT. Sacrifice power and spin for placement.
Vary your loop placement, spinny with the first bounce just over the net. Spinny long, spinny mid-distance. Figure out where he has problems blocking.
Another thing to try are deep chops to his body. These really can't be blocked, he needs to do SOMETHING with the ball whether it's to chop it back or loop it back.

All - in - all, avoid trying to win the game with power. Experiment with spin and focus on placement. By their very nature blockers tend to have bad footwork and attackers tend to have better footwork. Use that to your advantage, pull him off the center, push him off the table (not through power but through very spinny loops or high spinny lobs).

Also if you are playing at a lower level the blockers you encounter usually favor their backhands and sort of crab walk all over the place. They usually stand very centered so they can cover their FH with a BH block reasonably well. Exploit the fact that this leaves BH angles open and punish them for it. When they adjust their positioning to cover the BH, then start going for sharply angled FH hits.

Remember placement>spin>power when playing blockers.
buyog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buyog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2011 at 2:59pm
Thanks for the posts, I may try that spin variation next time.
Two of my buddies who rely most of the time on their blocking abilities
but I also found out that these guys have poor offense, so what I did was I let
them play an offensive game which leads to break their style and game plan.
LKT 8030

FH: Acuda S1

BH: Barracuda

CMSreader

LotArea
smiths9312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiths9312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2011 at 12:05pm
I try to be careful of the angles I give a blocker.  They tend to hug the center of the table, so if you give them anything in this center area, they will have you running all over the place and eventually running out of steam even if you have very consistent loops.  Worse, if you hit with speed, those shots come back with speed and good placement.  

I slow down my play and concentrate on spin and corners.  If they give me bad angles, I try to stay calm, and return back to the opposing corner with spin and height.  This will give me time to get back in position and it's hard to block a spinny shot with height since they go nearly straight up.   

The problem you will run into is that good blockers will also attack weak balls instead of blocking them.  For these players, I try to vary my spin with underspin and loops.  Loop to the corners and underspin other shots making sure to keep the underspin shots low to protect the smash.  

This takes a blocker out of their comfort zone.  It makes them move, and they aren't used to moving.  It takes away their smash and makes them both push and block.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic