FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

1000 underspin balls on the robot today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

Because with pips you don't require anywhere near as much energy in you stroke to lift the ball over the net for a good.attacking stroke. The pips allow you to worry about the spin far less than inverted so you can focus on placement and speed of your return.
Your statement is too general. That is very true if you are talking about most near frictionless LP.  802-40 grips enough so that one must be very mindful of the back spin.  802 a little less so but in both cases it depends on how high the ball is.  If the ball is high one can hit through spin but if it is low you can't do that.  
 As a bonus the opponents backspin becomes your topspin. 
Yes, with near frictionless LP but not with SP like 802-40 unless you top spin the ball yourself because most SP will grip the ball and react to the back spin.   With 802-40 and other spinny SP you must treat back spin the same way as you would with inverted.   Even with 802 1.5mm you still need to put top spin on the chopped ball.
Sponsored Links

Old-Man-Southpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

Because with pips you don't require anywhere near as much energy in you stroke to lift the ball over the net for a good.attacking stroke. The pips allow you to worry about the spin far less than inverted so you can focus on placement and speed of your return.
Your statement is too general. That is very true if you are talking about most near frictionless LP.  802-40 grips enough so that one must be very mindful of the back spin.  802 a little less so but in both cases it depends on how high the ball is.  If the ball is high one can hit through spin but if it is low you can't do that.  
 As a bonus the opponents backspin becomes your topspin. 
Yes, with near frictionless LP but not with SP like 802-40 unless you top spin the ball yourself because most SP will grip the ball and react to the back spin.   With 802-40 and other spinny SP you must treat back spin the same way as you would with inverted.   Even with 802 1.5mm you still need to put top spin on the chopped ball.

Please note that I'm doing the BH loop or smack with long pips, 0X, no sponge, and that I'm just adding to the spin they send.  I suggest you try 100 FH loops and 100 BH smack shots (sort of like a flip?), and see which makes you exhausted.  I am not very athletic, and 300 BH smack shots in a 20 min period is no problem at all, but if I were to try 300 FH loops, even with my 144 gr setup, I'd be hurting badly.
--- Push/Chop or Attack ---

Blade: TT Piet Off/All Custom 5 ply

FH: Rakza 7

BH: DTec.S Long pips

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48168

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 1:11pm
Still working at it.  I've just left the robot set for underspin, and have been doing 200 to 500 balls a day, whatever feels comfortable and as time allows.  I think its beginning to help inn match play, but its pretty early to tell.  I'll just keep doing it till I can hit it hard and still hit the table consistently with it.  Doing both at the same time isn't easy.  I play pretty much every day, too, so, the more I can get it working scoring point, the more I will have guts to use it when I see the right ball for it coming my way.

I've also been more diligent with the biking, and think I will shoot for 60 min per day, there, in hopes that will help increase my stamina longer term, to where I can play 6 to 8 matches in a day without being totally exhausted by the 3rd match, like is currently the case.

What really hurts is attempting to loop or loop drive.  I was playing a guy that hates playing me (because I have pips) last night, and we were just hitting the ball FH to FH, and got to where he was hitting it as hard as he could at me, and it was bullet fast, and I was hitting it back just as hard and fast or more so.  Somehow I hurt the muscle on the outside of the top 1/2 of my leg up near the hip joint when twisting/hitting the bal as hard as I could.  I won the point, but need to stay in one piece.  There is a bruise, but the pain is pretty much gone today.  I have been stretching before playing, but need to do a better job of it.

Anyway, I'll just limit the robot drills to a reasonable level, and hope for the BH hit shot to improve significantly as I get more used to doing it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 11:37am
The effort is starting to bear a little fruit.  I'm still doing 300 a day underspin on BH, at least, with the robot, sometimes 500 or 600, and getting to where I'm mixing up my returns reasonably well, too.  My FH has been missing, so I have had to switch it back and forth between underspin and topspin to do 100 or 200 of hard FH hits to try to fix it, but that's not the end of the world.

Anyway, I was able to play 4 matches last night, 2 of them against loopers I've only rarely been able to even win any games against (almost all were lost 3-0 the past 6 months), and I beat both of them 3-1.  The other 2 players were 1100 and 1300, and so I was able to win more easily, 3-0 against both, but the big thing there is that I managed to last 4 matches and win with so tough competitors, so something is working better.  I did notice a few points where I used the BH hit and it made the point for me, but I wasn't able to get myself to use it all the times I should have, and wasn't hitting it as hard as I need to, but at least it wasn't a failure, and I'll keep at the robot practice and bike riding to try to improve further.  

I'd like to get to where I can last 7 matches (because that's what I'll need for a tournament) and be able to have enough energy to get to the balls on the corners, still.  I guess that's a tall order, but at least I finally made it to where I played 4 reasonably well.

Thanks for the suggestions, warnings and comments...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic