Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water base glue affecting speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

I am skeptical too.  Rubber glues do not generate energy.  The rubber in the glue absorbs energy and then returns some of it.

I use fairly thin layers of water based glue ( Tearmender ).

If one glue is faster than the other it is because it absorbs less energy or returns a higher percentage of the energy it absorbed.

BTW, if I were going to try to estimate which glue was the fastest I would make a little ball about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter from each of the two glues.    I would then see which one bounces the best.   I bet none would bounce very well.  If anyone tries this then estimate what percentage of the initial height the balls were dropped that the balls bounce back too.

Think about it guys.  Where does the energy really come from?  Don't perpetuate myths.  Investigate for yourselves.  Do the experiment.

Tear Mender is basically liquid latex.  So I'd expect it to bounce pretty well - like a solid rubber ball.

That said, I agree with your overall point.  It seems to me that if people are putting on thick enough layers of glue that it actually makes a difference with sandwich rubber, then the layer is probably illegally thick.  It seems more likely to me that a moderately thick layer of glue would affect an OX rubber more than one with sponge.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Superballs made from a good wbg glue do bounce (a lot). Especially balls made from Haifu glue.... Try it
But it won't bounce higher than the height it is dropped from.  Rubber glues do not make paddles faster.

If sheets of rubber can make a ball bounce higher compared to a bare wood racket, then why wouldn't thin sheets of glue tend to do the same thing - just to a less degree?

Again, I agree with your general point that the glues almost surely are not making a perceivable difference at normal thicknesses.  But I'd assume that has more to do with their insignificant thickness than it does with the fact that nothing returns 100% of the incoming energy of a ball impact.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by szikorz szikorz wrote:

I have seen Ma Lin taking off the glue from his blue sponge (picture was somewhere here at the forum - probably the pro´s equipment) and there was a minimum of 2 mm ůayer of the dry VOC glue there. I assume, there must be something on that, not to mention, that my personal experience confirm that, the performance of the covering changes with the amount of glue on the sponge. 

2mm?  Really?  Then he's using a very thin sponge in order to keep below the 4mm max thickness limit.  He's also risking running afoul of the general understanding expressed in the T4 pamphlet that glue layers are supposed to be thin.

From the Sept. 1, 2014 T4 Leaflet

"3. Adhesive
The use of a thick layer of adhesive is NOT permitted either within the blade (Law 2.4.2), or
between the blade and the racket covering."
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 6:02pm
I have not noticed any big difference between the brands but I have noticed a difference when it comes to how thick the layer is. Two layers works the best for me. 
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:22pm
How about Elmer's rubber cement? 
I apply one lay on rubber sponge and one layer on blade, is that 2 layers total for the sponge?

I know it has VOC but how does it compared to Tear Mender using the same layer levels??
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

How about Elmer's rubber cement? 
I apply one lay on rubber sponge and one layer on blade, is that 2 layers total for the sponge?

I know it has VOC but how does it compared to Tear Mender using the same layer levels??

I count that as one layer, I use two layers on the rubber and one on the blade.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic