Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

receiving short serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: receiving short serve
    Posted: 04/14/2013 at 10:19am
A quick question.. While receiving a short service after I have stepped in with my right foot, do I initiate the shot (flip/push/drop shot)after fully transferring the body weight on the right foot or do I make the shot with the body weight equally distributed on both legs. Also, do I always need to stick my right foot as much as possible under the table or does it depend on the shot I plan on using to receive the short serve?
Sponsored Links

metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Vdog Vdog wrote:

A quick question.. While receiving a short service after I have stepped in with my right foot, do I initiate the shot (flip/push/drop shot)after fully transferring the body weight on the right foot or do I make the shot with the body weight equally distributed on both legs. Also, do I always need to stick my right foot as much as possible under the table or does it depend on the shot I plan on using to receive the short serve?
I

You should stay balanced as much as possible for short receives. But when I have to really move in for a very short ball, my weight automatically goes predominantly over my right leg, I am too short to reach over the table and not extend over my right leg.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 10:48pm
Most of the instructions I have seen say something to the effect that that your forearm should be close to and parrallel to the table top when executing a return of short serve. In order to do that you need to bend at the waist and get your head down lower also.   For shorter players I think it is possible to step so far under the table that you can not bend at the waist in order to get the upper body (head and arm) down in that low parallel to the table position. 

Also shorter players may need to lean in more (more over the foot under the table) to reach really short balls.  In order to do this they may need to come up on the tip-toe of the back foot or even have to let it raise off the ground in order to get enough forward lean to reach the short ball.  In that case you do get a lot more weight on your forward foot than on the rear.

One thing I even noticed in some videos is that on Fh returns of short serves players sometimes make an extra movement to get into position.   Besides bending at the waist they also rotate at the waist so that the hitting arm shoulder is lowered and the non-hitting arm shoulder is raised.  Instead of the bending forward so the chest is parallel to the table top the added rotation puts the players side more parallel to the top of the table and helps in keeping the hitting arm low to the table.

It is probably more important to concentrate on getting the upper body and hitting forearm down in the correct position rather than focusing on how far under the table the front foot actually goes.  I just looked at some video of myself returning short serves and although I was stepping well under the table my upper body and arm were in terrible position to return the ball.  I am going to start focusing more on that and kind of let the front foot just go forward as much or little as I need to get to the ball.

Mark

Vdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 12:20am
Thanks for the info! I especially like the part where you mention the lowering of the hitting arm shoulder for the forehand recieve.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 8:59am
Right leg under the table and weight transfer onto it just before or at same point as contact with the ball, get your head as near to the ball as possible, and everything else will be correct in terms of stance, push out immediately after contact as you are exposed by the table depth.
The Older I get, The better I was.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Right leg under the table and weight transfer onto it just before or at same point as contact with the ball, get your head as near to the ball as possible, and everything else will be correct in terms of stance, push out immediately after contact as you are exposed by the table depth.

+1 This.

Vid. 

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Vdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 2:05am
Thanks for the tips APW4 and V-gripper, the video was very helpul..
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 9:20am
Depends where the ball is going.  If the ball is really short you will need to step not too deep and reach while standing on one leg.  The most important thing is shoulder and paddle placement the feets just get them there.

DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic