Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Testing plastic ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing plastic ball
    Posted: 06/28/2013 at 12:22pm
What I found :
1. P-ball is bigger than C-ball.
2. Everyone at club thinks it's cracked!!
3. box of 3, 2 are egg shape only 1 is good and round.
4. Biggest issue. It bounces very wacky. Some ball will skid and some will jump up. Maybe because of it's egg shape.
5. There's no way this ball will be approved. It doesn't bounce right ..... very inconsistent.

Edited by bogeyhunter - 06/28/2013 at 11:28pm
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Sponsored Links

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2013 at 6:30pm
Bogey...not sure how much time you got to use the plastic ball there besides what these vids show.....Im guessing you got a hold of the Palio seamless ones?  

Just out of curiosity, what is your impression of the best equipment need for the new plastic ball?   

Would a fairly stiff or much faster blade then one would normally use.... along with some tacky rubber seem like the go?   

Will various types of any pips not be of much use with the new plastic balls?

Thanks for showing those vids....gives a good perspective of what is to be expected with you hitting against Peter.....besides the nasty glass/tin cracking sound the plastic balls have that we have already know about for some time.  (maybe seamed ones will not be as bad sounding?)

bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2013 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Bogey...not sure how much time you got to use the plastic ball there besides what these vids show.....Im guessing you got a hold of the Palio seamless ones? YES.

Just out of curiosity, what is your impression of the best equipment need for the new plastic ball? Less spin ...still some. Harder to counter loop. Better to take at highest and BLAST it. 

Would a fairly stiff or much faster blade then one would normally use.... along with some tacky rubber seem like the go? Don't know...Just played with it for 30 mins. Need to play more.

Will various types of any pips not be of much use with the new plastic balls? Can't say much from 30 mins. I still think my level won't drop. The biggest issue is the wacky bounce. See at 4:42 set 1 with Peter? 

Thanks for showing those vids....gives a good perspective of what is to be expected with you hitting against Peter.....besides the nasty glass/tin cracking sound the plastic balls have that we have already know about for some time.  (maybe seamed ones will not be as bad sounding?)

www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2013 at 1:26am
Nice videos. What did Peter Li think of those balls? Did he like it?
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2013 at 4:43am
I'm hoping that the seamed polyballs perform a lot better, than the seamless ball that you were playing with in the video.

A few years ago; the local school where I get involved in coaching, got a load of cheap balls off the internet and they were obviously factory rejects. All of them had a defect of some kind and like your seamless polyball; the majority of them weren't round either.

The walls looked thinner than a normal 3 star ball and some of the seams weren't perfectly aligned either; which meant they bounced differently off the table or bat; depending on whether the ball contact was on the seam or on the sides of the ball.

As a result; they were the worst balls I've ever played with; due to the inconsistency of their bounce and they also broke a lot easier than a 3 star ball too.

Your comment about it being harder to counter loop with the seamless polyball makes sense, as an inconsistent bounce does make it harder to judge how a ball might kick off the table and the contact point of the ball on your bat; will also affect your shot too.

Bearing in mind a lot of prototype balls will have been made; it makes me wonder how many of those have been released onto the market and are factory ejects too.

It's possible the three seamless polyballs you obtained were factory rejects too. Lets hope so because it doesn't sound like the kind of ball a lot of us would be happy playing with; if that were the norm.

NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2013 at 4:37pm
Did you use only the 1 round ball out of the 3 in these videos.  If you used the egg shaped, then that doesn't show anything.  Of course the bounce for those will be inconsistent.

Did you do a spin test to check the roundness of the round ball?

As a defender, what did you notice that are differences between this seamless ball and the celluloid ball.  Is there less spin to play against with your LPs?  How is chopping with the inverted?  Does the ball travel further before it starts to drop due to less spin?  Did you find the ball sitting up higher and shorter on the table?  Where your chops easier to attack for Peter?

Looking for your impressions as what impact this ball would have on a LP combination player.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

I'm hoping that the seamed polyballs perform a lot better, than the seamless ball that you were playing with in the video.

A few years ago; the local school where I get involved in coaching, got a load of cheap balls off the internet and they were obviously factory rejects. All of them had a defect of some kind and like your seamless polyball; the majority of them weren't round either.

The walls looked thinner than a normal 3 star ball and some of the seams weren't perfectly aligned either; which meant they bounced differently off the table or bat; depending on whether the ball contact was on the seam or on the sides of the ball.

As a result; they were the worst balls I've ever played with; due to the inconsistency of their bounce and they also broke a lot easier than a 3 star ball too.

Your comment about it being harder to counter loop with the seamless polyball makes sense, as an inconsistent bounce does make it harder to judge how a ball might kick off the table and the contact point of the ball on your bat; will also affect your shot too.

Bearing in mind a lot of prototype balls will have been made; it makes me wonder how many of those have been released onto the market and are factory ejects too.

It's possible the three seamless polyballs you obtained were factory rejects too. Lets hope so because it doesn't sound like the kind of ball a lot of us would be happy playing with; if that were the norm.

I also got 3 balls - all 3 at different times.
I suspect 2 of them is consider your "factory" rejects. One of given to me by a Chinese Taipei junior team coach though.... another one I bought at a reputable shop.

I also think seem poly ball will be better and chance of less egg shape more.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2013 at 11:37am

About new non-celluloid ball. About a week ago, while I was on vacation in Europe, I played with new hybrid balls. They had a seam and the material is mostly new PVC plastic (however I was told that some celluloid is still mixed in there; I was also told that it was manufactured by DHS).

I have practiced for about 30 minutes with these balls, and I should say that they didn't seem that different from regular ones (I mean good quality training balls like GoGo or Donic 1-star). They feel a little tighter, not as soft as celluloid balls, but very close to my regular training balls in terms of spin and speed. Well, perhaps just a tiny little bit less spin. I was told by my practice partner that he'd been using them for a few weeks and they are much sturdier than regular balls (in two weeks of everyday practice he only broke one of them). However he is not sure whether these are the balls that ITTF intends to start using in 2014, because they are hybrid (still use some celluloid).

He also said that seamless balls he was recently given for testing were pure crap - they broke easily and distribution of the plastic along the surface was not uniform.

He also tried seamed ball made entirely of PVC and was very critical of that one as well - he said that the seam was quite hard and the rest of the ball much softer which led to all sorts of problems.

Edited by JimT - 07/17/2013 at 12:06pm
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2013 at 2:03pm
DEAR FRIENDS,

Please bear in mind
-- Altogether, there are now 42 factories all over China engaged in producing plastic balls of every size and coloration. None is fit well for serious play.
Do not confuse child's amusement ball/ beer-pong ball with those specifically designed for professional sporting activities.

Before you come out here with some "nowelty" plastic ball, see if it is marked with "40+". It is a sure index of a sporting ball from a sport goods supplier.

Ever Yours,
igorponger

Cassandra's prophetic utterance.
It makes every point upon the plastic balls.

Edited by igorponger - 07/18/2013 at 9:21pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 12:07pm
I got in a box of palio plastics from eacheng yesterday.  We played with one about 1 minute and quit.  Although mine were in good shape and looked nice, they were so different (which I expected.)  Horrible sound.  The play was somewhat different although I can't really say they were faster or not as fast, spinnier or not.

I think I could play with them for a couple months then have a tournament with them.  I bet I could beat anyone under 1900 if they weren't used to the ball.  I sure wouldn't go to a tournament that used them unless I had practiced with them.

I'm anxiously awaiting a seamed ball to try.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 12:31pm
my ones were in bits dents every where
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 12:41pm
The old-school Korean J-Pen crowd who craves slapping the piss outta the ball with little spin 100+ MPH simply LOVE this ball. Everyone else hates it with a passion. Poor bounce, sounds like annoying ping + crack each bounce, impact sound... well it sounds wrong, less spin... you can still spin it, but it is nowhere near your celluloid ball spin.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 12:50pm
The sound is surely the worst part.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:18pm
If playing with the one piece plastic ball sounds crappy, try playing a serious match requiring your concentration while two J-pen dudes one a table only one meter from you are slapping that plastic piece of a thing back and forth at a high rate of speed like no end... That crap is worse than water-boarding on Ur nerves.

Edited by BH-Man - 08/23/2013 at 2:19pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 2:23pm
Even worse... you are sandwiched between two tight tables where on each side the J-pen crowd is plugging away with the new plastic ball ping-crack-BAM while CHOing away at each shot.
Simply time to call a break for a meal and order a few 500 CC of draft beer to forget about it all.

There is ALWAYS a chicken and beer place within 5 minute walk of any Korean club. Heck, some of these joints are in the SAME building. They know how to setup an infrastructure.

Beer could look like this...

Edited by BH-Man - 08/24/2013 at 12:50am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

But do you get used to it, or...
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

But do you get used to it, or...

Seems like we will.  Either that or just quit playing. 

As a hardbat player, it doesn't bother me quite as much.  Probably because my bat already makes more noise than most.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 12:47am
Yeah, but the hardbat makes the sound at impact and then world order is restored. That new plastic ball is disruptive, period. I say we add an artillery proximity fuse into the ball so that it is timed to explode upon touching the opponent's table after someone hits it such and such hard as programmed into the sensor. That would be really rad - exploding tt ballz. That would attract some more players to the sport 4 sure.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 12:51am
I am surprised nobody already bought a gross to sell some on the forum as testing gear; I would buy a few if somebody volunteers; maybe a good soul will kindly accept to be of assistance Wink? (wink-wink)
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 1:18am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I am surprised nobody already bought a gross to sell some on the forum as testing gear; I would buy a few if somebody volunteers; maybe a good soul will kindly accept to be of assistance Wink? (wink-wink)

Who is selling this in the US ?
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 12:33pm
have just discovered the best celluloid balls to meet all my needs perfectly well. Excellent quality along with dirty cheap price. I love those so much.
I shall never give up those lovely balls.

HEREBY,
I would take the opportunity to declare in public a sheer boycott to all the plastics.Yes.

Long live with natural celluloise balls !!!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 1:23am
Again, for people who are reacting to this seamed ball that my practice partner deemed a 1*, I'm very sure the seamed ball is going to be much better. I haven't played with one but I've bounced it and the difference is night and day. The seamed sounds almost normal.

Hope someone comes out with them soon.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 3:06am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Since none are ITTF approved yet, I'm sure most dealers would not carry them.

Variations between the different plastic balls so far seem huge... so if they're all going to be approved, it means you'll need to practice with the right balls used at the different tournaments, or you'll be at a disadvantage. This is quite negative for our sport.Thumbs Down

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 4:58pm
Didnt the ittf say that all three ball types are legal? Was that a general statement in hopes they'll actually get some that meets standards?

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 4:59pm
Mine don't seem to have any ittf markings

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2013 at 7:23pm
Recently purchased Palio 3-star seam less balls for trial.  Other then the sound they played fine and I took them to several local clubs and most everybody agreed.  Most of the problems regarding this issue falls on ITTF for making this move without the balls available for play and testing.  Hopefully in the future the International governing body will act with greater regard for players interest.  I purchased them at :

Edited by lineup32 - 09/27/2013 at 7:27pm
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2013 at 1:51am

Mine don't seem to have any ittf markings

They won't be allowed to mark them 'ittf approved' until they're actually approved.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic