Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tribute to Karakasevic (TTBL)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrThePortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrThePortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribute to Karakasevic (TTBL)
    Posted: 08/19/2013 at 5:36pm

Alexander Karakasevic, PURE TALENT!!

Edited by MrThePortal - 08/19/2013 at 5:42pm
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2013 at 6:04pm
Great, underrated player.
But half the time, I found myself watching his opponent rather than Kara. Maybe it's because his game causes him to look like a big bully, and I subconsciously am backing the 'underdog'.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 1:09am
The incredible bh, the drop shots and above all his awareness in PLACEMENT make him a sort of genius.

The sound of speed glue was amazing to hear again; I wonder how much his game suffered after the ban.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 5:34am
The only change after the ban is that he added a lot kilos of weight :D
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 1:17pm
great tribute. It's too bad he added all the weight. I heard a lot of top players had said his touch/placement/backhand was among the best in the world, but alas he never quite made it there. Does anyone know what his top world ranking was? I played in a doubles against him years ago at Killerspin and since it was 4200 and under he had to play with a player that was around 1200. We were both over 2000 so I though we'd take them, but damn, everytime that lower player popped it up and we smashed it Kara would run way back and lob it back. And his lobs were not easy at all, they had so much sidespin. It also didn't matter how short or how much underspin I got on my serves, Kara would step in and flip it! I couldn't believe how easy he could flip my heavy bh underspin serves. I've played many 2200 - 2400 players that couldn't loop it very well but he made it look easy! They went on to beat us.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 1:47pm
on 1997, he beat Liu Gouliang:

Edited by garwor - 08/20/2013 at 1:48pm
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 2:56pm
your post really ejnoy me

no offence :)rrrrrrrrr

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 12:48am
I have say - I think that backhand of his is an all time great shot in the game. I remember the first time I saw him - just learning the game - didn't know any of the pro players - just stopped cold in my tracks and asked someone who is that guy. It was like bullets going off (speed glue days).
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 1:09am
Yes years ago I had thought he had a great back hand until I joined this forum where most people think Kreanga had the best backhand in the world. LOL

Actually I think Kara's backhand more wristy and Kreanga's use the arm more.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by loop+loop loop+loop wrote:

Yes years ago I had thought he had a great back hand until I joined this forum where most people think Kreanga had the best backhand in the world. LOL

Actually I think Kara's backhand more wristy and Kreanga's use the arm more.

Kara is also left-handed - that makes the contrast not quite the same.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 8:15am
Kara also uses a different grip for his strokes from most shakehanders with the index finger beneath the blade face/head.  Similar to what Persson does - considering going back to that grip as it enhances my forehand over the table power.
Cybershape Carbon
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 11:36am
I think Kara's BH is more impressive in some ways than Kreanga as it's usually a quicker shot. Since he uses more wrist it kind of comes out of nowhere....but Kreanga has such a big windup you can see it coming.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Kara also uses a different grip for his strokes from most shakehanders with the index finger beneath the blade face/head.  Similar to what Persson does - considering going back to that grip as it enhances my forehand over the table power.
I have a hard time picturing that grip; if it helps going toward Kara's bh and enhances the fh I'd love to know more about it :)
Do you mean not quite seemiller style but closer to it?
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I have a hard time picturing that grip; if it helps going toward Kara's bh and enhances the fh I'd love to know more about it :)
Do you mean not quite seemiller style but closer to it?

Like this .

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 12:28pm
He can change direction with his BH at the last second so well. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 1:03pm
thanks bonggoy.

It is interesting that when we talk about "BH oriented grip" on the forum, we refer to the opposite of what your picture shows; "bh oriented grip" means more control and more spin, the way of Timo's when he switches grip when recovering from his fh.

In Kara's picture above I see a "fh oriented grip" (as defined by the forumers over the years) that offers way less control to his bh but much more in the bh lethal kill shots category.

It adds up to the greatness of his bh; like walking on a fine line and being able to stay there his whole career.

t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 1:45pm
Out of Topic:

Karakashevic Father was better than his son.

In 1970 his father won 2 matches vs Hans Alser and vs Kjell Johansson

By the way in this time the Sweden Team was unbeatable
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 7:25pm

thanks bonggoy.

It is interesting that when we talk about "BH oriented grip" on the forum, we refer to the opposite of what your picture shows; "bh oriented grip" means more control and more spin, the way of Timo's when he switches grip when recovering from his fh.

In Kara's picture above I see a "fh oriented grip" (as defined by the forumers over the years) that offers way less control to his bh but much more in the bh lethal kill shots category.

It adds up to the greatness of his bh; like walking on a fine line and being able to stay there his whole career.

It's almost like a short pips BH group, it reminds me of Wang Tao.  But he seems to flex his wrist a lot. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 7:29pm
I've noticed that Jim Butler sometimes wraps his finger around the outside a bit when he really hits his BH hard, but his is a very neutral grip, not so far over at all to the FH like fatt noticed for Karakasevic.  Also, Jimmy's hands are really big because he is so tall, so I think it is pretty natural for him.  I once tried it, but it seemed to make my forearm too tense.

Anyway, thinks to OP.  I always like watching guys who are really good in spite of some physical deficiency or other.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 7:36am

thanks bonggoy.

Actually, I think this is a very backhand oriented grip.  It's allows for more wrist use on both sides (hence it helps my forehand over the table because I can use the wrist over the table more easily).  I would have to work on my counterlooping to make it work and not sure I have the patience.  But time will tell.  But with this grip, the backhand is powerful and it is what allows Kara's wrist strokes.  Try it some time.  You will feel the full power of the wrist.  The lower index finger placement also implies greater backhand orientation.  Higher index finger placement is forehand oriented.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 11:37am
Next level, I think Bongoy was just referring to the fact that in terms of hand placement, Kara is using something that tennis players would almost call a "western grip" which normally favors powerful forehand, but you are right, the fact that his index finger wraps around the edge a bit changes the dynamics a lot, and is what is letting him hit his BH the way he does.  He needs a lot of wrist flex to make it work.  Decades ago when I was a junior I saw a grainy film of Stellan Bengtsson, and it looked to me like he was holding the blade like that in the early 1970s.  I wasn't sure, the film was bad quality, but anyway he was my one of my heroes so I tried it.  I ended up with a really sore wrist and gave it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic