Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

CPEN - problem receiving top spin serves.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPEN - problem receiving top spin serves.
    Posted: 09/23/2013 at 10:58pm
Hello all, I am a lefty cpen avid table tennis player. I am not in any ranking system now but was before in the USA. If I have to guess, I would say, I'm probably around 1800 right now.

Ok with that out the way, I can now ask for help. In a match, no problem with underspin but I am usually extremely weak in receiving top and top/sidespin servers rather it is placed to my forehand or backhand. I usually pop it back over pretty high for my opponent to open his attack. I do know part of the reason is because I usually try to push the ball back with my blade under the ball hence the reason why it pops up and far when the serve is short. When the serve is long to my forehand, I would usually loop it out the table.

Anyone have any experience overcoming a similar problem receiving topspin servers? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
CPEN Blade Stiga Optimum Sync | OSP Virtuoso (awaiting)
FH DHS SkyLine 2 Neo | BH LKT Rapid Soft | Shoes Mizuno Wave Drive A
Sponsored Links

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 7:45am
mostly with my Bh those can be tricky but dead balls are a bit trieckier , its much easier to receive those with fh. unless you have a good few years experience with Cpen and an assortment of serves from opponents. if you have RPB it makes it a bit easier. although using your feet to position yourself will help in the short run. but mainly you just need to try different ways angles to return the the ball.

also by the sounds of it 1800 might be an exaggeration, maybe not. its hard to tell without evidence... try and get a video of yourself playing a game or some serve receive drills 
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 9:09am
1800 level player struggling with topspin serves?? Not so sure about that. 

Anyways, that's besides the point. I'm not trying to be smart here but didn't you try simply closing the face of the blade until you stopped sending it beyond the table after it kicks off your paddle?

I'm a lefty Cpener. (around 1300). And I actually ran into a match 3 weeks ago where I played a new player at the club. He beat me on the fact that I could not figure out his serve. To his credit, he disguised it well. But it was a long, fast topspin serve with the occasional variation in amount of spin.

But over the week I had time to realize that was his main serve. He used it 80% of the time. A lot of my returns were going long or off to the side. So next week I simply blocked (I play short pips) those back with an ever more closed face of the blade and I beat him. Just had to get past the serve.

Go back and practice against whoever gives this problem serve with you. Close the face of the blade. If you put one in the net, consider that a win. Tongue A least that means the answer is somewhere between. You'll soon figure out the feel to it.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 9:12am
Originally posted by timtex37 timtex37 wrote:

I do know part of the reason is because I usually try to push the ball back with my blade under the ball hence the reason why it pops up and far when the serve is short.

One last thing. This phrase caught my eye. This just tells me you need to read the spin better because obviously you'd never want to push a topspin ball.

Outside of the obviously "try looking at the paddle on contact" tip. A good tip I read in reading spin on service return is that I've heard good players also watch the arch of the ball after the serve to help them see what it has on it. 

Edited by suds79 - 09/24/2013 at 9:13am
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 4:15pm
Many years ago, coach Grace Lin(Lin Xiu Zhen) noticed I had problem receiving tomahawk topspin serves to my forehand. Her comment to me was to block the ball and i had kept that in mind. I don't remember what I did wrong but blocking is a simple solution.

On the backhand side I have a tendency to loop too fast against topspin serves and the ball goes long. By slowing down the loop, the ball stays on the table.

When you hold your CPen, in order to close the blade, remember to use your thumb to adjust the angle of the blade when you block or loop on your forehand.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 5:11pm
Are you reading the spin of the ball properly? 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 9:46pm
Thank you all for your comments. as a response to my rating, it is a wild guess. I figure back  years ago, when I was back in New york where I have competed in 2 tournaments, I was put against players ranked at 1600 to 1700 and I fair well with them at that point. Right now, I know I have improved a decent amount since than. Hence, the idea of the 1800 rank. Maybe I am way off so please excuse me. The thing is my performance fluctuates a lot. If I am playing with another person who plays backspin serves and can loop well, I can pretty confident that I will have shot at winning as I can at least counter-loop once or twice his shots. But against people who play long pips or someone who have serves, especially top spin serves that looks like backspin serves, I must say that I appear to be someone just learning to play.

After reading your comments, I guess the one that fits most must be that I am having a problem reading the spin to start. Also in regards to what Loop40mm, I am scared of the top/side spin tomahawk serve. If it is to my forehand (left side), I usually loop it too long and if I don't loop, I return it too high for my opponent to attack. So you side you sorted that problem by blocking, can you explain a little more?

Once again, thank you all for your constructive comments. The more the merrier.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 10:50pm
well hmmm.. quick suggestion  get a recording of yourself playing a few sets and get that person to serve some of the serves you are strugling with.. it will be easier to identify what the problem is
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 3:00am
If your opponent serves topspin or sidespin, you are almost always obligated to attack it to stay alive in the point.  Passive receiving will likely make you a 3rd ball kill victim if your opponent has a solid short game.

If you're comfortable with TBH, a chop block at the top of the bounce or punch block off the bounce works well for me when I get a ball like that served to my BH.  But if it goes wide to your BH, you'll have to move and rpb loop it back.

If the serve is sidespin or topspin to your FH, just brush-loop it back or loop-kill the point.  If you apply enough of your own topspin, their sidespin serve will behave like topspin when you counter it.  Serving long topspin to an 1800 player is usually a death-wish unless the player is out of position.

Edited by schen - 09/25/2013 at 3:02am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 7:46am
I have the same problem shakehand.  I'm becoming a bit better, but there is still lots of work to do.

1.  I would recommend that you watch lots of serve (not serve return) tutorials first and even practice doing those serves.  You can't avoid having to read the serve.  There are so many ways of producing side and side topspin, some heavier than others that you need to be keyed in on that.  Some people let the ball fall off their open racket from a high toss  (this is the one I usually misread) and others might sidespin the ball just below the equator.  Some people rub the back of the ball with a closed racket face, some people pull the ball up with an open racket face.  Sometime, delaying the contact can lead to a different serve.  After you do this, you will also get better at watching your server. 

2.  Always attack serves with sidespin for a period of time.  The thing about pushing side-underspin is that even if you read the underspin correctly, if you don't adjust for the sidespin, you will still pop the ball up.  So try to flick all sidespin serves.  After you are able to attack or roll them, then you can go back to making choices, but you will see that attacking serves often foils the agenda of your opponent and makes them a completely different player.  Those who serve heavy sidespin will get a heavy dose of their sidespin returned to them.

3.  How to attack them?  Start by looping/flicking the back of the ball (and usually, finishing in the direction the serve came from or towards the center of the table).  Get someone to serve you the spins while you know what is on them.  Do the same blocking or looping motion to a serve and see what happens when things go right and things go wrong.  The go wrong part is important because it helps you make adjustments once you figure out what you are missing.

4.  Finally, always watch the servers.  Watch other people return the server's serves and ask them what they are reading.  Sometimes, there are things you just don't see because you aren't looking for them, whether it is the first bounce, or what side of the paddle contacted the ball or the follow through of the server.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 12:25pm
I feel so grateful to have you all spend your valuable time writing up these valuable tips for me. I cannot say thank you enough! I will take all your advice into consideration! The more the merrier right? Regarding my first statement about my rating...I guess I would be safer to say, I'm around 1500 to 1600 than as it seems like a 1800 player wouldn't have such a problem like mine. Tongue
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 1:23pm

I feel so grateful to have you all spend your valuable time writing up these valuable tips for me. I cannot say thank you enough! I will take all your advice into consideration! The more the merrier right? Regarding my first statement about my rating...I guess I would be safer to say, I'm around 1500 to 1600 than as it seems like a 1800 player wouldn't have such a problem like mine. Tongue

I have been as high as 1900 and I have your problem - don't put too much stock in general statements about ratings and capabilities.  After all, the opponent causing you the problem may have 2000+ level serves for all you know.  And even if you read the serve, you may misread the amount of spin and pop it up.  The bottom line - stop pushing sidespin serves.

I mean, SChen can testify to having me pop up many of his serves and going down 0-2 to him before trying to fix things and stop pushing his sidespin serves.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/25/2013 at 1:25pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 1:40pm
Over my playing years, I've learnt that penholders normally hate short topspin serves lol, especially those that curve away from their FH side. I think flicking with the FH is a very solid option, provided that you can flick with good placement and control and with minimal mistakes, and preferably be fast enough to follow up with another FH counter to the other corner (direction change is extremely important here). If your flick quality is not that good, it will probably get blasted past you by good players. Also, doing sidespin pushes (short or long) with awkward placement can be deadly too, and will cause a lot of mistakes to be made by your opponent trying to attack them. 

I feel that as a penholder, you need to start thinking of how to make things awkward for your opponent, and you should experiment more with blade angles and serve/serve receive methods. Watch more Ma Lin and He Zhi Wen. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 2:42pm

Hello all, I am a lefty cpen avid table tennis player. I am not in any ranking system now but was before in the USA. If I have to guess, I would say, I'm probably around 1800 right now.

Ok with that out the way, I can now ask for help. In a match, no problem with underspin but I am usually extremely weak in receiving top and top/sidespin servers rather it is placed to my forehand or backhand. I usually pop it back over pretty high for my opponent to open his attack. I do know part of the reason is because I usually try to push the ball back with my blade under the ball hence the reason why it pops up and far when the serve is short. When the serve is long to my forehand, I would usually loop it out the table.

Anyone have any experience overcoming a similar problem receiving topspin servers? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Timtex
best advice when receiving topspin with topspin over the table - stroke FORWARD not upward- Thats why the block often works.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic