Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When to remove glue build up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mttkrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttkrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to remove glue build up?
    Posted: 05/06/2006 at 6:13pm

How do I know when to remove the glue build up on my speed-glued rubbers?  I asked two of my friends, one says he does it every 2 sessions... the other says like a month or so... how can it be so different?  What is the preferred days before removing glue build up? How often does the pros do it or does the pros just change the whole rubber??

btw, i'm using Hurricane 3, if that plays a factor on how long to remove glue build up...  and i'm using cold vulcanizing fluid... i guess it's not too thick or thin...

Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2006 at 6:16pm
whenever you have trouble getting the rubber to dome I guess.  You can put platic wrap over it when it gets thicker, so the solvent will be forced down.  This allows you to run it a little thicker.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2006 at 1:27am
Weight is also a factor.  I remove mine if it feels too heavy or if it is not doming properly.  The problem with going 1 month before you remove the glue is the rubber will play completely different once deglued to what you have become adjusted to.  I would say a week to 2 weeks or around 10 glueings.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
ttnooblar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttnooblar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2006 at 9:25am
its easier to remove the glue once there's substantial build up though, lately ive been able to remove it without using any fluids - just start peeling straight after you peel your rubber off after playing. i reckon every two-three weeks depending on how much you play and how much glue you use. however removing it more than once i find pointless... the rubber is already dying by the second time you peel the glue off... :(
BTY Michael Maze (Flared)
Donic F2 2.0mm (FH)
Donic F2 2.0mm (BH)
vivleien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivleien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2006 at 9:43am
Originally posted by ttnooblar ttnooblar wrote:

however removing it more than once i find pointless... the rubber is already dying by the second time you peel the glue off... :(

I agree on this.I remove build up 2 times and then change rubber. The sponge do not like glue very much!
I use Hurricane III and Sriver EL.
mttkrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttkrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2006 at 11:50pm
oh i play a lot, maybe 4-5 times a week, and sometimes i glue 2 times a day
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2006 at 12:04am

Originally posted by mttkrad mttkrad wrote:

oh i play a lot, maybe 4-5 times a week, and sometimes i glue 2 times a day

You will know when as the rubber takes longer to dome, does not dome as high and or is heavy and you can see the buildup.  In your case it will take about a week to reach the point where you need to think about removing the glue, you might even be able to go 2 weeks.

Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2006 at 12:19am
i would think the 2 weeks will be mroe safe, its much easier to peel it with more glue on the sponge. peel in the direction you are going. hold the rubber freely in one hand near the edge. other hand pull it in direction you are going but don't peel like in singular motion, keep jerking it instead... follow what i'm saying? if ne questions just feel freee to ask
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2006 at 2:11pm
I have seen that peeling done but cant do it.  I figure it is best for hard sponges.  Have you done it with out tearing a soft or medium sponge?
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2006 at 2:23pm
yes, it works for any type of sponge. i've even done it on the LKT XT sheets so its ok for soft sponges i'm sure. practice it a few times on a harder sponge if you want. one thing to look out for, i find it easiest to do after a playing session, it lifts off much easier then. don't put any additional solvents on it though, otherwise the glue won't be dry/hard enuff to peel off
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
mrt4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrt4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2006 at 4:05pm

I play 3-5 times a week and i remove the buildup after about 3-4 weeks. I only remove it once, when the buildup i s big again i change the rubbers.

\Robin

Swedish male, playing since 1993.

Blade: Timo boll w5
forehand: Tenergy 25fx 2,1

Backhand: Energy absorber 1,6

glue: waterbased!!!!

Rodey_Maggot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodey_Maggot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2006 at 2:05am
I remove it , when my 250ml speed glue can gets empty...thats about , from 3 to 4 weeks.
DONIC Waldner Carbon Senso
FHDONIC
Gallardo Power Sound
BHDONIC
Coppa JO Silver
Nasilemak View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasilemak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2006 at 4:21am

I remove it whenever I find the rubber won't dome , even with wet layers. Also I pick off a little bit at the edge to see the difference between the picked off part and the rest of the glue buildup.

I recommend picking it off often , the more buildup there is the more glue you have to use to get the dome effect which isn't good.

Blade - Yasaka Gatien
Rubbers- Hurricane III Provincial Sheet (forehand)
Stiga Magna ( bh)

Glue - stiga energy on magna,
special glue on hurricane
NaDeR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaDeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 9:39am

I remove it when the sound of the rubber dissapears.

about 2 months.

and i think that the proff players change the whole rubber when the glue build up. 
"wish to be like them  "

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 2:13pm
I use H3 and Sriver EL. I pick off the rubber using mineral spirits as soon as I notice they don't dome anymore. H3 comes off pretty smoothly but the Sriver EL (softer sponge)is not as easy to cleanly pull off the rubber.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic