Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edge Tape messy residue...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edge Tape messy residue...
    Posted: 04/17/2014 at 9:09pm
I removed the Stiga edge tape from a blade today and was surprised and dismayed to find that the tape had left some sort of gooey stickiness behind.  It is different from VOC glue residue which is relatively easy to remove.  This stuff is gross and difficult...sticks to fingers, doesn't wash off, really really difficult if not impossible to completely remove from wood.  Have any of you ever experienced this?  What did you do to remove it?  And what do you do to keep it from happening?

Thanks for your time.

Barnaby
Sponsored Links

DaNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 9:36pm
that is the reason why i don't use edge tape Sleepy
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 9:38pm
Yeah, I might stop if this becomes a problem.  It doesn't happen every time thought...this is really the first time it has happened and I have used the same roll of tape on other blades.  So maybe this blade has not been sealed properly around the edge?  Maybe I can treat it so tape doesn't leave gross residue again?

Thanks again.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 2:23am
   To remove any tackinesss from racket blade some liquid BodilyCosmetics with ethyl alcohol could help, eg. some shaving cologne or suchlike.

Stay calm anyway , just glue a new tape over.
tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 8:15am
Originally posted by bschap bschap wrote:

I removed the Stiga edge tape from a blade today and was surprised and dismayed to find that the tape had left some sort of gooey stickiness behind.  It is different from VOC glue residue which is relatively easy to remove.  This stuff is gross and difficult...sticks to fingers, doesn't wash off, really really difficult if not impossible to completely remove from wood.  Have any of you ever experienced this?  What did you do to remove it?  And what do you do to keep it from happening?

Thanks for your time.

Barnaby

Hi,
easy to remove with a bit of lighter fuel, it's the nature of the glue used on the edge tape.
It's a bit more due to some modern rubbers chemicals, softening the glue of the edge tape even more - but as said, easy to clen off with a bit of lighter fuel.

Best regards
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 2:43am
again I'm having this problem.  I am hesitant to use lighter fluid or alcohol on my blade for fear of damage.  Anyone find a better solution to this problem?  Are all edge tapes prone to this?  
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 7:18am
I usually sand it lightly with some finer grit stuff and rub it off with my finger. But there's always still a little left. Also why I stopped using edge tape. It doesn't ever stay on anyway. 
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 11:31am
Take an old sheet of rubber and rub the residue off.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 11:50am
use packaging tape or duct tape to remove the residue, it may take a few times but its a cleaner solution than using chemicals.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 2:00pm
I had the same problem. Black yasaka tape with white text. Lots ofresidue. Even took some wood strads and part of my xiom sponge with it. The sponge by itaelf is very durable and for the edge tape to even break strands of that just goes to show how bad it is. .

Needless to say i dont use edgetape anymore. The residue is removable by rubbing with finger tips

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 2:18pm
Thanks for your input everyone.  I know it may sound like a trivial problem, but this stuff can be really gross and super-sticky.  If it gets on your fingers it doesn't come off for a day...at least that's my experience.  Also, it tends to get everywhere...and the last place I want it is on my blade head.  I've had moderate success with using packing tape to remove excess goo.  
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 2:42pm
Put the edge tape on any free surface and drag it on and off a few times. It will take away some of the glue so it doesn't stick as hard when you put it on the blade. 
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 2:43pm
Lefty, ha, yes...I do that now.

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 3:41pm
olive oil removes most sticky residue.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 7:07pm
I use tear mender to remove the sticky residue.  it does not completely remove it, but it does remove at least 80% of them for me if you try multiple times.  good luck with the removal.
pablogilberto View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 1:13am
wrap it in plastic or a sandwich bag, put it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 3:38pm
what?  wrap what in plastic?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic