Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - beginners with expensive, overly fast equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

beginners with expensive, overly fast equipment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 5:18am
Dear NextLevel,

I agree with you that if the opponent is a newbie, then we have to explain to them about consistency and be patient while they are trying to be consistent.  Of course, we feed him/her nice easy ball.

The problem is with these 2 types of players:
1.  A good player who knows that he has to be consistent but smashing every ball.  I experienced that against an old player with LP.  Every time I feed ball to his FH, he smashes as hard as he can.

2.  A newbie that was already told to be consistent, and yet keep smashing the ball every time we feed nice ball.  I think this is the case that OP experienced.

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 5:53am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Dear NextLevel,

I agree with you that if the opponent is a newbie, then we have to explain to them about consistency and be patient while they are trying to be consistent.  Of course, we feed him/her nice easy ball.

The problem is with these 2 types of players:
1.  A good player who knows that he has to be consistent but smashing every ball.  I experienced that against an old player with LP.  Every time I feed ball to his FH, he smashes as hard as he can.

2.  A newbie that was already told to be consistent, and yet keep smashing the ball every time we feed nice ball.  I think this is the case that OP experienced.

Doreamon,

I agree with most of what you have written.  Players who refuse to warm up reasonably can be very annoying.  As I have gotten better, what I can tolerate during a warm up has expanded, but there is nothing I hate more than someone who won't produce some kind of rhythm to the warm-up.  However, the OP never said he spoke to the 1200.  And relooping a 1200 attack on a regular serve is not as hard as it sounds if you are 2000+ and know where the ball is going.  What is not clear is whether the 1200 was told that 1200 could choose a different warmup routine if 1200 asked.  

I was a tournament and during a break, a SP-LP combo player asked me to warm up during the break.  He was rated about 1500 or so on paper (I think he could have upset the right customer about 200 pts above him if he found that customer).  I agreed.  He then started blocking and smashing the ball randomly all over the table.  I simply asked him what he was trying to work on (I might have been more patient during a club match, but while I like spinning to pips anytime, I am not going to ruin my timing during a tournament).  He apologized and started to go into a more traditional crosscourt pattern with open play on mishits, saying that people almost never agree to warm up with him because he uses pips so he is not used to it.  He just changed from inverted so I didn't fully accept this explanation in my head, but at least, he started a pattern.  I didn't loop softly, but he didn't need to hold back on his hits and blocks as long as they followed the pattern.

I don't think experienced players should feed newbies nice easy balls during a warm-up (as opposed to lesson or tutorial).  We should feed them balls that are consistent with our warm up routine and which have a consistent pattern to the opponent.  If someone is lower rated and can't handle my hitting tempo, which is mostly a reflection of their pace, I'm not going to ruin my technique anymore to accommodate them (that's what I mean by Cobra Kai TT) unless they are paying me to coach, in which case I will do mostly multi-ball.  Higher rated players don't ruin their strokes to accommodate me during warm-ups.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/23/2014 at 6:02am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 11:46am
I guess I'm an offender to this... Not a beginner, but not good enough to be playing my setup according to some elitist here. To add insult to the injury, I recommended fast spiny set up to another player, who was better than me, but used a slower setup. This switch brought him down to my level HAHAHA. What an effective way for me to beat himStar

But guess what? Despite that fact, he loved his new set up and never looked back!!!

You see, we are never going to make a living playing TT. For some, it's all about fun and enjoyment.

Edited by DistantStar - 04/23/2014 at 11:50am
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 12:42pm
i think though, a simplistic approach with 'beginners' is:

the faster, stronger, spinnier, stiffer, highest, lowest - whatever "maxed" out terminology

will be best for their game

whereas, with veteran players - the search is for tinkering and tailoring (and spending) for the best combination of tendencies/qualities the equipment can do for their game - not always necessarily 'maxed' out equipment

:)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

i think though, a simplistic approach with 'beginners' is:

the faster, stronger, spinnier, stiffer, highest, lowest - whatever "maxed" out terminology

will be best for their game

whereas, with veteran players - the search is for tinkering and tailoring (and spending) for the best combination of tendencies/qualities the equipment can do for their game - not always necessarily 'maxed' out equipment

:)

The better your strokes, the more reliably you can evaluate the effect of equipment on it.  It's easy to imagine what an MJ with T64 on both sides is doing for your shots, but if you don't have a consistent stroke and understand the real impact of microadjustments to it, you can believe the speed is good or bad for your overall play without having a clue.  The lower your level, the harder it is to even know how the equipment is impacting your stroke or the more complicated question of your overall game.
Cybershape Carbon
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The better your strokes, the more reliably you can evaluate the effect of equipment on it.  It's easy to imagine what an MJ with T64 on both sides is doing for your shots, but if you don't have a consistent stroke and understand the real impact of microadjustments to it, you can believe the speed is good or bad for your overall play without having a clue.  The lower your level, the harder it is to even know how the equipment is impacting your stroke or the more complicated question of your overall game.

This aimed at me? I'm not one to look off constructive criticism. However I do have a consistent stroke, many people I play compliment me on it. Especially my backhand. I could understand better microadjustments to my stroke though, but I also haven't played in several years and this will come back with time. I have developed a high comfort level with my current setup, and I think changing to anything else would be detrimental to my game.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

This aimed at me? I'm not one to look off constructive criticism. However I do have a consistent stroke, many people I play compliment me on it. Especially my backhand. I could understand better microadjustments to my stroke though, but I also haven't played in several years and this will come back with time. I have developed a high comfort level with my current setup, and I think changing to anything else would be detrimental to my game.

Disclaimer:  The examples were meant to be fictitious - any resemblance to actual events or persons is purely accidental.

Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic