FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing Level To rubber cost ratio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Same thing with the rubber choice.  I have max T05 on both sides of a TB ZLF.  It's not too fast, but it does react very hard to spin.   So I have to learn to read spin better, and it is real obvious when I make a mistake.  I could get a less-spinny rubber or SP and maybe go up some points and not need to learn to read spin as much, but why should I do that?  So I could save maybe $10 a month, who cares?

I am not picking on you in particular Smile, but this is a very common misconception among players who are stuck to low-to-intermediate levels for years if not decades.  The inverted rubbers of their choice DO react strongly to incoming spin only if you are playing passively.  For most pros the inverted rubbers allow them to overpower whatever spin is on the ball easily, and ADD a completely opposite spin to the ball at will.  This is WHY they use it.  Try to counter a full-power topspin drive with short or long pips then you'll know what I am talking about, because you simply can't. 

Most long-time 1300 to 1600 players never understood this point thus they will forever be using an equipment that they can't possibly do justice to its potential.  In other words, their equipment of choice never properly suit their own ability but they keep poo-pooing short and long pips rubbers/players.  There's so much more to understand the techniques needed to master other types of rubbers than simply "I don't have to learn to read spin as much".  They don't even understand why they chose their equipment except to blindly follow the pros. 

The greatest thing about table tennis is the freedom to choose from a variety of equipment to suit their game, but too many newbies and old-timers are too biased to not explore beyond the obvious Tenergy type rubbers when they have no business playing with them.  

Edited by roundrobin - 04/26/2014 at 10:15pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Sponsored Links

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

I feel I use Tenergy to its full potential.

Tenergy may well be fine for your game but if you could use Tenergy to its full potential chances are you would be rated much higher than 1490.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic