Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How often do you replace your TT shoes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you replace your TT shoes?
    Posted: 07/07/2014 at 5:29am
Do you replace your shoes regularly although they look good ? 
Some runners for example say that shoes need replacement very often.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sponsored Links

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2014 at 6:02am
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2014 at 6:21am
Apparently Koji Kimura used to wear out a pair of shoes every 2 weeks.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2014 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Do you replace your shoes regularly although they look good ? 
Some runners for example say that shoes need replacement very often.

If any part of the sole has worn out or if it is not stable, then I change it. Depending on the surface I play on, the shoes could last 200 or so hours.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2014 at 9:44am
I replace the inserts often.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2014 at 10:55pm
About once every 50 practice sessions.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 12:28am
Not so often since I use my pair of Asics only in tournaments. Problem is my training gim has a rough floor, so I can´t use them there.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 10:04pm
As soon as I see a plain surface on the part that makes contact with the floor I replace the shoes, or whenever I feel that the shoes are not gripping the floor anymore, I replace it.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I replace the inserts often.

Sorry for being off topic : What kind of insert you are using ? Do you buy it online ? Thanks.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 9:42am
bump
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 9:58am
@Baal, where do you get your inserts? 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 10:12am
In the US the inserts are sold at pharmacies but maybe in China you would have to get them online.  Here are a few links.  The prices vary a lot.  Some of them can cost almost as much as the shoes, but the ones I use cost about $20 in the US.  I replace about every 30 days.  The shoes I am using now, Tibhar Blue Spirit, seem to have insoles that last a longer time.   

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sports+shoe+inserts&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=82488488467&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14535815679600176811&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8xmf7jpxz3_b

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/gear/gearinsoles/

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/shoe-insole.html
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 10:18am
A pair for year is enough for me (3 hours training per week + 3-5 games at the weekend)
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:57pm
Being a marathon runner as well as a table tennis player, I can assure you running shoes wear out much faster. They only last a few hundred miles depending on how heavy you are, and your running style. Suppose you run 40-50 miles a week, that's not very long. Mind you, the sole does not wear out, but the cushioning is gone. And if you don't pay attention, you will have knee and shin splint issues.

Table tennis shoes should be replaced as soon as they lose grip. On smooth wooden floors, they lose grip fairly quickly as the grip pattern on the soles wear and become dangerously unreliable. With a dusty floor, the dust acts like lubricant and the grip goes even faster. On grippy floors, it's possible to use table tennis shoes until they just about wear through the sole (which could be as long as 6 months...)

Edited by sandiway - 08/26/2015 at 4:58pm
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

Apparently Koji Kimura used to wear out a pair of shoes every 2 weeks.

In that case which shoes is he using? I change once or twice a year. 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 11:40pm
change when they fall off

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 12:15am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

change when they fall off

I actually think a lot of injuries could be avoided if people paid more attention to their shoes.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 4:08am
I usually change them 1) when there's a hole on the little toe, or 2) when I've worn the inside lining at the heel (not the sole, the lining against the Achille's tendon)

Since I don't buy anymore shoes with soft rubber soles, the grip usually remains good until the rest is gone, although I can see it's wearing in places (outside of big toe and heel)

Edited by Olio - 08/27/2015 at 4:18am
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 2:41pm
That is actually very true Baal. I think many don't think so much about the shoes except from the grip and design. The shoes are extremely important to avoid knee and heel injuries. 
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 3:38pm
just regular running shoes here. 
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

I'm surprised you use running shoes.  They have very little side to side support.  Ankle busters for sure, unless you're a LP'er and don't move your feet.
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 4:32pm
I use indoor football shoes. I doubt TT shoes would make a big difference 

Edited by crackfst - 08/27/2015 at 4:33pm
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

I'm surprised you use running shoes.  They have very little side to side support.  Ankle busters for sure, unless you're a LP'er and don't move your feet.

Also, ping pong can ruin (expensive) running shoes because running shoes are not strong enough to withstand the side force. 

I've played in running shoes on trips when I've only been able to pack one pair of shoes. In my experience, the upper of the running shoe became unstuck and pulled away from the soles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic