Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thomas Keinath on plastic balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2014 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

A few things about these balls that are strange.  You have to constantly remind yourself to wait, to not rush, wait for the ball to come to you.  But at the same time, when you drop back you have to be prepared to move forward quickly because these balls don't come out as far and dead or slow balls drop like a rock. But just forcing yourself to stay closer doesn't seem to be the answer because you just end up not having any leverage on attack.  I think we will all need to practice front and back movements more than we do now.  You need to be cautious about when to go all out on a third ball attack too, because the ball may come back.  The feel for returns of serve is strange too.  The low bounce is really annoying I have to say, but I suppose we will all eventually get used to it.  You have to stay low hitting these balls even more than now, it really punishes any lapse in that. 

Sounds like what one would expect playing against anti.

Yes, it is near the same. I will try to make a game tomorrow with my Yasaka Anti Power (max) once again VS that veteran if is possible and I will give a feedback later.
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2014 at 6:18pm

Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Kolevtt grasped the gist of it all. He is very right about less skilled players beating better ones owing to the spin unfriendly behaviour of the ball.

I myself conducted a little test last Friday with players who are lower ranked and technically not so adept. One of them was a hobby player who restarted the sport after a 20 year break - he said he could not feel any differences between the DHS plastic ball and the Joola *** celluloid.

Then I went on to test with a player who cannot loop with his forehand and uses ox long pips on his backhand, he just slaps the ball when it pops up without really knowing how it spins. He also commented that he does not feel that much of a difference. After that there was a 14 year old kid who has been playing for 2 years and he strives to make proper attacking strokes, he has not got stuck at the level of pushing. It is only his strokes are not solid but no one can expect more after 2 years. He loops rather well with the celluloid ball but he was disgusted by the DHS plastic ball and he missed almost every second loop.

I feel that some forum members are too optimistic about the plastic balls currently on the market. I would bet that the ITTF sanctioned tournaments will not get the same crappy ball as the average player does.

Based on the little info on the Nittaku Premium plastic ball, that could be something usable but have a look at the price of the plain Chinese produced SHA ball, it is 5.40 EUR / 3 pcs + shipping at tabletennis11. How much will the premium cost? I have a hunch that it will be about double.

You can argue that the prices will drop as the market gets saturated with the new plastic balls but in the case of the Nittaku Premium, I cannot see that going below even 5 EUR for a long time from now, which is quite a lot for three balls.

Especially bearing in mind that we don't know anything about what the durability of the Nittaku Premium balls will turn out to be.  My fear is that that problem is inherent in the material.  I hope I am wrong.

As for outcomes of matches, I think it will take a bit more time to see if what Kolev says will turn out.  It may put a premium on a somewhat different skill set, but from what I have seen playing with them there will still be many ways for skilled players to show their superiority.  One thing I noticed about the Joola version is that I was punished more for footwork errors.

The material used in the Nittaku Premium 40+ is likely different from what I gather. It is a special material developed in collaboration with Toray.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Sounds like what one would expect playing against anti.

No, it's not as extreme as playing against anti.   You can't ignore topspin, even it it is a bit less than before.  I blocked a number of balls off the end of the table today when I misjudged spin (although you can definitely hit through topspin more easily if you are in the right place and time correctly).  I am sure that in the fullness of time once my instincts change a bit to accommodate this ball (or whatever ball we end up with) I will have just as much fun playing TT.  My partner and I had a few really good rallies today, more so as time went on.  Still, I hope this not the ball that becomes the standard.  Sometimes the ball just bounces badly.

I actually think some choppers will like this ball more than attackers, but I am not a chopper, so they will have to speak for themselves.

I had 30 min with a Nittaku Japan ball last week, it was better, the ball didn't bounce so low and so timing issues weren't so severe  Even if ball spinned less, it was closer to current celluloid game.

Main message with all of these new balls --- DON'T RUSH YOUR SHOT!  And be prepared for some strange unexpected stuff.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2014 at 1:41am
I've hit a few times with the Nittaku 40+, but never for more than 5 minutes at a time. For purposes of adjusting, it reminds me of switching to a new rubber. Just takes a little getting used to.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2014 at 2:00pm
Yes, adjustments are required with a significant change in rubber, but the things that need adjusting with the new ball are different.  Switching from, say, Vega to Tenergy 05, requires some minor adjustment in stroke but not adjustment in timing and footwork.  However the new ball affects all of these things.  If I switch from one offensive rubber to another it doesn't really affect how I react to my opponent's shots, but with the new ball if your opponent hits a particular shot that you have seen millions of times -- be it loop, push, block, whatever --- the new ball doesn't react quite the way you expect once it hits the table.  It's not like playing against LP or anti or something like that IMHO (since the guys I mostly play with are full out offensive players).  Their loop is still a loop, their is no "spin reversal", the ball is not dead, you certainly can't play an offensive player now as if they are an anti or LP player.  It's just that their offensive shots not behaving quite the same way, and it is just enough to mess up.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2014 at 11:13pm

Yes, adjustments are required with a significant change in rubber, but the things that need adjusting with the new ball are different.  Switching from, say, Vega to Tenergy 05, requires some minor adjustment in stroke but not adjustment in timing and footwork.  However the new ball affects all of these things.  If I switch from one offensive rubber to another it doesn't really affect how I react to my opponent's shots, but with the new ball if your opponent hits a particular shot that you have seen millions of times -- be it loop, push, block, whatever --- the new ball doesn't react quite the way you expect once it hits the table.  It's not like playing against LP or anti or something like that IMHO (since the guys I mostly play with are full out offensive players).  Their loop is still a loop, their is no "spin reversal", the ball is not dead, you certainly can't play an offensive player now as if they are an anti or LP player.  It's just that their offensive shots not behaving quite the same way, and it is just enough to mess up.

I think he was speaking about the Nittaku Japan ball specifically - everything I hear about that ball is relatively good compared to the others.  I just need to get my hands on one...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2014 at 11:29pm
Not clear from his post since he didn't specify that detail.  I have played with Nittaku 40+ Made in China, and they are the same as the DHS, Joola, etc.  Those are generally available now and so more likely that is what he had, and as I said, quite a few adjustments are needed.

The only reason I got to hit with a Japan Nittaku 40+ is because a US team member who plays  at my club had one (and only one) ---although there do seem to be a few of them floating around various places in the US.  The ball came in a box of one!  I had never seen that before.  It is a lot better (the ball, not the box).  No question.  It wasn't exactly like celluloid, but close enough.   I will order some as soon as they go on sale somewhere accessible to me. 

One last thing.  If all you do is hit some counters or loop a few balls while someone blocks at you, you will not see all the ways that the Chinese polyballs are different.  It will feel a little different but perfectly ok.  You really need to play some live points, and the longer you go, the more things you will find that you will need to adjust.  You will have to keep a few things consciously in mind until the way this ball plays becomes instinctive, and that is never a good thing.  Don't underestimate what it will take to feel comfortable with these.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 12:02am

Not clear from his post since he didn't specify that detail.  I have played with Nittaku 40+ Made in China, and they are the same as the DHS, Joola, etc.  Those are generally available now and so more likely that is what he had, and as I said, quite a few adjustments are needed.

The only reason I got to hit with a Japan Nittaku 40+ is because a US team member who plays  at my club had one (and only one) ---although there do seem to be a few of them floating around various places in the US.  The ball came in a box of one!  I had never seen that before.  It is a lot better (the ball, not the box).  No question.  It wasn't exactly like celluloid, but close enough.   I will order some as soon as they go on sale somewhere accessible to me. 

One last thing.  If all you do is hit some counters or loop a few balls while someone blocks at you, you will not see all the ways that the Chinese polyballs are different.  It will feel a little different but perfectly ok.  You really need to play some live points, and the longer you go, the more things you will find that you will need to adjust.  You will have to keep a few things consciously in mind until the way this ball plays becomes instinctive, and that is never a good thing.  Don't underestimate what it will take to feel comfortable with these.

Benfb is in Oregon and pretty close to Paddle Palace, who is sending out most of these balls.  That doesn't make you wrong, but does explain how he might have come into contact with the ball, amongst other possibilities.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 12:06am
Actually the Japan Nittaku 40+ I got to try came from there, so it is possible.  Perhaps we should wait for him to specify what it was.  And also, we also should wait until he has played for more than 5 minutes at a time with whatever it was. 

(The first comment I wrote on the seamed Chinese balls was that is is no big deal, we should all adjust easily, in a few hours or so.  With some 15 hrs of match and free play now under my belt, I realize that was far too optimistic.  The Nittaku Japan balls cannot get here soon enough).
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 3:23am
We are currently in the process of doing a full review and video review of the DHS plastic ball with our equipment expert, Matt Hetherington. Should be all done in the next few days. We also released a segment in our latest newsletter on 7 important tips you need to know to adjust to playing with the new ball :D
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 9:53am
I played with both the Joola & Donic plastic ball last night. Got a lot of video as well as recorded club member's thoughts. I'll post the video here tomorrow or possibly Wednesday.

But overall first impression of the ball? Wow as a lot been made over nothing IMO. Is it different? Yes. But we are talking about subtle differences. The feel is slightly different but again. Very small differences.

Virtually everyone in the club last night was playing exclusively with the poly balls last night and reactions were overall positive.

I'll have video soon.

PS - Could not tell the difference between the Donic & Joola balls. Both are seemed. Both played virtually identical as far as I could tell from the few hours of play. Based on that, the club will probably move forward with whatever seemed 3 star ball is cheapest.... And no broken balls that night.

Edited by suds79 - 08/04/2014 at 9:54am
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 10:12am
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

I played with both the Joola & Donic plastic ball last night. Got a lot of video as well as recorded club member's thoughts...........Very small differences.

Virtually everyone in the club last night was playing exclusively with the poly balls last night and reactions were overall positive.

Hello, I am impressed very positively from your review Smile
What is the level of your partners/players in the club and your own?
Did you play for points during this training?

Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 10:41am

I played with both the Joola & Donic plastic ball last night. .... And no broken balls that night.

That's weird, because user "mynamenotbob" reported the opposite 2 days ago:
Quote Joola Super P 40+ have terrible quality
We are breaking these balls left and right. Way, way higher percentage than *** celluloid balls. These are absolutely the most fragile supposedly good quality balls I have ever used.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=278973&sid=74b6dd9af2bb1aa4f17e6b7a070550fc#p278973

Edited by Mastermind - 08/04/2014 at 10:42am
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 12:29pm
This is in response to the two last posts.

Kolevtt,

We're in a small to medium sized down. All the players range from the 1300-1800 level that night. Our highest level player is 2100 but unfortunately he wasn't there that night. The play styles also ranged. We have a few heavy spin duel inverted players who like to loop. We have a very good Seemiller close to the table blocker and I play penhold short pips.

We practiced and played several matches. Based on my observations, nobody was beating another that they wouldn't normally have. The playing levels and classes of players seemed about the same.

Mastermind,

I can confirm, and we'll see this in the video that the new balls are indeed harder than the celluloid balls. This would normally concern me as since they have less give, they'd break more. But all I can tell you is that last night we didn't have a single broken ball with virtually everybody (15 people?) hitting with them for a few hours. I know myself as a SP player, I'm hitting more flat into balls and I have video of me whopping a few really hard. Still, no breaks. Need more playing time to confirm their durability.

Edited by suds79 - 08/04/2014 at 12:39pm
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 12:43pm
Played with Joola 40+ last night.

The guy DIDN'T TELL ME. Sound was very difficult to tell apart from the celluloid balls. It did feel different but I thought it was just a cheaper, LIGHTER ball, because this guy never buys good balls. 

It plays totally different than my Xushaufa ball. Mine sounds plastic, but feels HARD and HEAVY and has GREAT CONTROL. Joola sounded natural but the path of the ball was very disruptive to my game. It was hard to adjust in just one match. Not my experience, again, from the xushaufa ball. I liked the chinese, but i don't like this one. I don't know what to think any more.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

I don't know what to think any more.

What about "we are screwed"?
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 1:17pm
Don't be boiling frogs, boycott bad changes!

Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Played with Joola 40+ last night.

The guy DIDN'T TELL ME. Sound was very difficult to tell apart from the celluloid balls. It did feel different but I thought it was just a cheaper, LIGHTER ball, because this guy never buys good balls. 

It plays totally different than my Xushaufa ball. Mine sounds plastic, but feels HARD and HEAVY and has GREAT CONTROL. Joola sounded natural but the path of the ball was very disruptive to my game. It was hard to adjust in just one match. Not my experience, again, from the xushaufa ball. I liked the chinese, but i don't like this one. I don't know what to think any more.

Did you immediately see the difference?  I did that trick to a practice partner without telling him and he noticed the difference after the second warmup rally, and stopped, starred at the ball and asked me what it was. 

I think a lot of people would agree with you that: 

1. Seamed vs. unseamed Chinese balls are quite different, especially sound but also feel.

2.  Joola and it's ilk (seamed Chinese) sound more like conventional celluloid but the aspects that take getting used to emerge when you don't know in advance right where the ball is going (in free play) and are disruptive.

Actually there are some people in my club who prefer the XSF to the Joola, mainly because of the higher bounce.  Personally, I hate the sound of the XSF too much and it seemed to slow the game down more, but in a way it was less disruptive.  I am not sure at this point which is worse.  I think I should try the XSF ball a bit more.

@suds
My experience with quite a few matches and lots of free play with these things is that outcomes are the same as usual, just like at your club, but quality of play from both players is lower.  This was also my experience when we switched from 38 to 40 (which persisted for several months).   I have to say that I am really unhappy with roundness and durability of the seamed balls I have had so far.  It could be that there is a much greater batch variation than we are used to.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 1:45pm
Okay I couldn't wait. Plus the video after I throw it together might be a little longer.

Here's the gist of what players said about the new ball.

- The new ball is harder
- The spin appears to be slightly down
- Blocking is easier.

For full thoughts on the matter, see the blog. Check it out if you're interested.

Edited by suds79 - 08/04/2014 at 1:47pm
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 4:25pm

Okay I couldn't wait. Plus the video after I throw it together might be a little longer.

Here's the gist of what players said about the new ball.

- The new ball is harder
- The spin appears to be slightly down
- Blocking is easier.
Ta

For full thoughts on the matter, see the blog. Check it out if you're interested.

I think this response will be wide spread in smaller clubs  around the country, I know of several clubs that have a player population that would not find these balls that unusual.  The question for these clubs will come down to cost and whether they think its worth the money to change.  
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2014 at 10:11am
Here's some video of play from Sunday with the two new balls.

Edited by suds79 - 08/05/2014 at 10:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic