Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'14 Southern Open - Finals Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '14 Southern Open - Finals Video
    Posted: 09/08/2014 at 10:47am
A friend managed to capture (most) of the great finals match at the Southern Open. Hope you enjoy!

Sponsored Links

bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 12:12pm
Wonderful match!!!

Didn't think any US born can beat Li Kewei. I was wrong.
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 12:13pm
Not bad for a 43 year old guy.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 12:30pm
Whenever you practice with someone on a regular basis, ratings can go out the window on any particular match.

If Li Kewei was never based closed to Jim, this would be more impressive...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 12:41pm
Butler literally got up off the floor to win that match.   He was obviously in great pain when he got the leg cramp.  I was really surprised that he was even able to come out for the last game.  In an odd way, the cramp may have helped him win the match.  Kewei was really coming back strongly, but Butler was forced to change tactics and try to end the points much more quickly than he had been doing.  He hit several incredible attacks on balls that he had been pushing or control looping earlier.  I think those shots kind of caught Kewei off guard.

It was pretty amazing getting to see those two play from up close.  Incredible speed and spin.  What really struck me was how strongly they handled the other players attacks.  I wish my all out attacks had even 75% of the quality of their defensive shots.

Mark

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Whenever you practice with someone on a regular basis, ratings can go out the window on any particular match.

That's like saying it's not impressive when Zhang Jike beats Ma Long or vice versa just because they train with each other... The knowledge goes both ways so I think the advantage it gives is neutralized. I like watching matches when players know each other well because it leads to less unforced errors.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 12:50pm
I live in Houston (both these guys live here) and know both of them, one is a close friend, and I can tell you that Jim and Li Kewei don't play together very often at all.  They most certainly do not practice on a regular basis.  To the contrary, I think they have only even hit together a handful of times including matches in tournaments.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 12:54pm
I'm not from the States but there is something which is universal in TT : if a talented striker plays regularly with a talented defender, he will win more and more.
This is the reason why defenders have no interest to train too often with the people they can face in competition.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I live in Houston and know both these guys, one is a close friend, and I can tell you that Jim and Li Kewei don't play together very often at all.  They most certainly do not practice on a regular basis.  To the contrary, I think they have only even hit together a handful of times including matches in tournaments.

I will take your informed word over mine, though during Cary cup commentary, Jim spoke about kewei moving to Houston and having a chance to practice together. It might not be ongoing, but it all makes a difference. Jim has beaten many good players so this is not beyond him -just special at this age.
Cybershape Carbon
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 2:38am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

That's like saying it's not impressive when Zhang Jike beats Ma Long or vice versa just because they train with each other... The knowledge goes both ways so I think the advantage it gives is neutralized. I like watching matches when players know each other well because it leads to less unforced errors.

Very well said and importantly wisely said ! Clap 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 7:42am
Originally posted by right2niru right2niru wrote:

Very well said and importantly wisely said ! Clap 

1.  Ma Long and Zhang Jike are not defenders...
2.  Ma Long and Zhang Jike are often similarly rated.

Maybe you don't realize that Kewei Li is 200 points higher rated than Jim Butler.
Cybershape Carbon
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 11:48am
I think Baal said they really didn't play together. Either way it was a really good match for the spectators. My two cents are that Li Kewei's forehand strategy is what failed him. A) he seemed a little out of practice (must be coaching too much) B) he never changed the type of loop; it was always the power loop.

Edited by BMonkey - 09/09/2014 at 12:12pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:06pm
What many of you may have missed is the fact that the most important match of the whole tournament, the U1700 final, is being played in the background of video #1 on the far table.  A match that more members of this forum might relate to than what is happening on table #1.

I always hate to see my play on video.  However, seeing my play juxtaposed with that great play on the Open finals table is almost too much to bear.  It looks like someone got the camera to take slow motion video of the background play while getting normal speed for the Open table.  I am moving like I am wearing lead weighted shoes and the ball looks so slow when I hit it.   

Just happy we finished early enough that I got to watch last couple of games of the open.

Mark - Miles to go before I get good.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:14pm
But you are getting better!  Who was doing all that choing?  Was that your opponent?
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:23pm

But you are getting better!  Who was doing all that choing?  Was that your opponent?
The super cho-er was Edward Li. He was like that all tournament. I was surprised how much that affects some people. If you notice though, towards the end he is playing again on the tables in the background but he was muchhhh more quiet. Guess what the outcome of that match was? LOL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:25pm

I think Baal said they really didn't play together. Either way it was a really good match for the spectators. My two cents are that Li Kewei's forehand strategy is what failed him. A) he seemed a little out of practice (must be coaching too much) B) he never changed the type of loop; it was always the power loop.

Actually they have only played together about three times -- in the finals of two tournaments, both this month, and once for just a little while not long after Li Kewei arrived in Houston some months back.  Li Kewei won their earlier tournament meeting, I think it was 4-2.  They play at different clubs mostly.  In fairness Li Kewei has a really heavy coaching schedule these days, mostly little kids (he is fantastic with kids by the way), and I'm not sure how much he really gets to practice at all, certainly never with anybody even close to Jim's level.  That's why a lot of really good 2700 level Chinese players sometimes have a hard time maintaining a level quite that high.  Jim's practice partners are a lot better (2400+), but they don't play a style even remotely like Li Kewei's.  So there are a lot of factors,  but neither one of those guys would ever make an excuse for winning or losing.  Li Kewei is a fantastic player and I think Jim had to play really well and really smart to win (especially since historically he had some problems with good defenders).  It was fun to watch. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 1:31pm

The super cho-er was Edward Li. He was like that all tournament. I was surprised how much that affects some people. If you notice though, towards the end he is playing again on the tables in the background but he was muchhhh more quiet. Guess what the outcome of that match was? LOL

LOL I knew it!  Last night when I was watching that match I told myself that sounded like Eddie.  Guy used to drive me (and many other people) insane with his choing from adjacent tables, now he plays at a different club so other people get to enjoy that now Dead.  I guess he hasn't stopped.  It is definitely a generational thing.  I am definitely one of those people who can be distracted by that.  But my concentration is crap at the best of times.   
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 2:37pm

LOL I knew it!  Last night when I was watching that match I told myself that sounded like Eddie.  Guy used to drive me (and many other people) insane with his choing from adjacent tables, now he plays at a different club so other people get to enjoy that now Dead.  I guess he hasn't stopped.  It is definitely a generational thing.  I am definitely one of those people who can be distracted by that.  But my concentration is crap at the best of times.   
Haha I did a stint in the military so I guess I've developed the ability to tune out people's yelling... or maybe that happened after I got married Confused
changjoola View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changjoola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2014 at 2:42am
Baal are you sure about this cuz I have heard from players that they do practice. Don't you play at the Houston club on Boone and aren't these guys at Texas table tennis training center. Just curious.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2014 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by changjoola changjoola wrote:

Baal are you sure about this cuz I have heard from players that they do practice. Don't you play at the Houston club on Boone and aren't these guys at Texas table tennis training center. Just curious.

I play both places, but mostly at HTTA, and no they don't practice regularly.  It has happened about once (that I know of) and most definitely not regularly.  I talk to Jim all the time.  Jim mostly plays at HTTA with Niraj Oak, Viktor Subonj and Darko Rapp (who never play at TTTC), while Li Kewei spends almost all of his time coaching at TTTC where he now has tons of students.  Jim was actually at TTTC more often after they first opened.  Both clubs are good places to play, owner of TTTC is a friend of mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic