FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Faster blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sphynx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sphynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faster blade?
    Posted: 09/19/2014 at 2:59pm
Hi guys

I bought for the first time a set of rubbers and a blade, they are FH Xiom Sigma I Europe and BH Donic Acuda S2, the blade was a Xiom Solo. I've been playing with this gear since June this year.
But now I figured out that this set is a bit slow for me, I don't know if the problem is on the blade or the rubbers, that's why I wanna know your opinion.

In the meantime I've been looking for some blades which fit my budget.

Xiom Zetro Quad - $165
Butterfly Viscaria - $165
Xiom Stradivarius - $115
Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit - $128

Thanks Smile
Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 7:40pm

I think your present setup is fine unless you are a pure power player. Want more speed then change your rubber to 1Q or 1QHD, Bryce speed, on FH and Donic Acuda S1 for bh. Solo is a great blade that has more feel than many composite blades. :) Also a small change in your stroke/technique can yield more power/speed. :)
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 10:59pm
Spend the money on lessons and not on equipment.  Your equipment is fine.  Where do you play (club, garage/basement, tournaments)?  How long have you been playing and what style?  Why do you think you need new equipment?

kprimorac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kprimorac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Spend the money on lessons and not on equipment.  Your equipment is fine.  Where do you play (club, garage/basement, tournaments)?  How long have you been playing and what style?  Why do you think you need new equipment?

I agree withe mts388, you must try to have good basic technics before looking for another setup , it's better to play with around, off- setup than off off+ unless you have a good level and you are an offensive player

Edited by kprimorac - 09/19/2014 at 11:54pm
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 1:33am
Sphynx if you like viscaria, I think you found it a bit expensive.You can find it more cheap!Talking about your question, I agree with the others.If you have a good level, then do it-change blade or even rubbers too, but if you think that you need more practise, stay as you are and practise more with this setut and you hand will ask from you to change gear when the time will come ;)

Edited by *_strataras_* - 09/20/2014 at 4:10am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:03am
As is the standard advice on this forum, focus more on training/lessons than equipment. If you really want a fast forehand or backhand drive/loop, then you can probably obtain it with your current set-up if you learned proper technique. Now granted, some blades definitely have a faster effect than others. Ever since I bought a Timo Boll ZLF blade, my forehand drives have been much faster than a local 1900 player I play against frequently. However, as long as you aren't using a racket less than $50, you can probably generate a lot of power (and spin for that matter) with a basic understanding of form and technique. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:47am
Try changing your FH rubber only at first...

Try Bluefire M2, Vega Pro or similar. ...

Both are firmer and faster than your current FH rubber, so will give you the knotch-up in speed that you are looking for...

Keep you BH rubber same for now so that you can maintain a reference...

Coaching is good of course, but playing is no fun if you don't enjoy what's in your hand...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:58am
This seems like your first ever blade and you don't seem to have ever tried a carbon blade.  I would actually have asked you to try switching, but you need more than 3 months to understand a blade and if you haven't had coaching, you haven't really explored your blade.  You will waste a lot of money on switching blades rather than coaching if you switch blades before you get really consistent with good coaching.  If your goal by switching equipment is to get much better, rather than try something different, get a few lessons and stick with your current blade for 2-3 more months.  If your coach tells you to  switch, then do so.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 3:00pm
What you're using should be fast enough for a developing player.  If I read correctly, that's your first custom blade.  Give it more time and work on your technique.

However, if you choose to buy a new blade anyway, you can get those Xiom blades for a LOT less money from a reputable dealer.  Tabletennis11 has the Zetro Quad for just over $85 and the Stradivarius for just under $80 and that doesn't take into account any discounts.
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 3:27pm
I donno, Sigma 1 Euro is plenty fast even on an All+ blade. I had it on Acoustic before. and actually had to DOWNGRADE to a previous blade(Donic WSC). Couldn't be happier with the switch
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
lordcope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordcope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 3:59pm
How did you figure out it's too slow for you?  What are the symptoms?  Also, how long have you been playing?  What sort of level are you at?

I think it's highly unlikely that your equipment is too slow... perhaps you could make some videos of your play and publish them here and get some feedback?

Edited by lordcope - 09/20/2014 at 4:22pm
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 #19 2.2mm (black)
BH: DHS Skyline TG2 #19 2.2mm (red)
Blade: DHS Dipper SP10

"Patience has all the time it needs." - Allan Lokos
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:08pm
If this is your first custom blade then you need to establish a baseline reference which I think takes up to a year depending on how often you play/train. I agree that you should focus more on getting your base strokes, timing and footwork together before auditioning more equipment. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Good advice! It can be good for your technique to play with a slower racket when you are training because then you learn to use your muscles to get the ball moving instead of letting the racket do all the work for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic