Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To glue or not to glue!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xymox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xymox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To glue or not to glue!
    Posted: 06/13/2006 at 2:13am

Hi guys. I have some questions regarding speed glue.  I've been playing for years and play quite well using normal glue.  I am curious however with the speed glue effect I keep reading about.  Is it really that much better than regular glue?  Does it really give you that edge?  I can understand skills at close levels like the pros, but say you're rated 1800, would this give u that much edge to elevate your game higher?

I would really like your thoughts on this because I've never speed glue, but defeat most speed gluers I play against.  Is it worth it?

Tyia 

Sponsored Links

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2006 at 2:35am
It worth it if you loop a lot as it increases the speed and spin of your loop.  If you are a hitter it wont help you much.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2006 at 3:09am
Dtop writes some excelent articles about it

as seen here

http://www.gregsttpages.com/articles/articles.html

If you loop a lot, they can increase your control.
eg, more spin = more chance of the ball diping down onto the table

Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2006 at 8:34pm
Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 9:16am
xymox

I had the same questions and thoughts about it as you. Then I tried speedglueing once and now I am stuck!

I find that their is a huge difference, not in speed, but in spin and control. My game worked much better and I could hit those loops that wasnt working before.
But, since its going to be banned in future, it might be just as well not to get used to it...
The holy grail
mola_samas View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mola_samas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 11:27am
I don't speed glue because I play for relative short period and shortly glue will be banned. Even the speed and spin I don't think worth for me, only the is really a great advantage.

Another question is that glueing, your rubber will die faster and you will spend more money with materials.

Lefthanded Japanese Penholder

Blade:KWS Nervosity 10mm
Rubber: Mark V AD
Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 12:09pm

Well, it's true that rubber dies faster but.....you play better, as someone stated before me.

Unfortunately the choice is for the fresh glue but, for the future I do not know if there something equivalent

Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack
j0rnal1sta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j0rnal1sta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 12:43pm
My rubber need speed glue, always i glue it, all days. I think glue gives me speed and more control at my style of play. I will stop to glue only when the ittf ruler don't permit it.
Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon ST
Forehand: T05 Black
Backhand: T05 Red

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 5:35pm
thank you all
bigreddawgie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigreddawgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 8:41pm

if it helps you use it.

j0rnal1sta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j0rnal1sta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2006 at 10:01pm

Try one thing:

Put 1 layer of glue before train, for 10 days.

After 10 days, begin put 2 layers of glue before train, during 15 days.

After 15 days, begin put 3 layers of glue before train, during 25 days. You need to it all days.

After it, try to play without glue, probably you will have difficult, and you will play better with glue - 98% of people play better with glue.

Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon ST
Forehand: T05 Black
Backhand: T05 Red

xymox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xymox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2006 at 12:46pm
Interesting.  Thanks for the replies.  Will there be an alternative once the ban goes into effect?  If there isn't, I think it would be logical to just play without so I don't get used to it.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2006 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by xymox xymox wrote:

Interesting.� Thanks for the replies.� Will there be an alternative once the ban goes into effect?� If there isn't, I think it would be logical to just play without so I don't get used to it.

From what I have hears, both on this forum and WWW.japsko.com there are no replacement for the glues. There will be other glues that you can use but they will not give the speedglue effect. By the looks of it it seems like the manufactors are trying to solve the problem by making rubbers that acts as the speedglued, but without the glue. Dont know if it works, havent tried any of them. As for now I think the ban will start in autumn 2008, but it has already been postponed a couple of times, so there might still be lots of time left before the ban starts. So, give it a try, if you like it then use it and join the massive crowd that will be very upset when the ban kikcs in
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic