FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rubber lifespan with plastic ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber lifespan with plastic ball
    Posted: 10/18/2014 at 6:29pm
Anyone discussed this? Does the plastic ball have a different effect on rubber surface compared to celluloid? I've yet to play with the new ball but I'm wondering if indeed it does decrease the rubber lifespan yet another profit booster for the ittf and it's buddies....
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 9:50pm
It wears the rubber faster but also grips the rubber better, making really worn topsheets still playable.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2014 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

Anyone discussed this? Does the plastic ball have a different effect on rubber surface compared to celluloid? I've yet to play with the new ball but I'm wondering if indeed it does decrease the rubber lifespan yet another profit booster for the ittf and it's buddies....

It depends on what level and how often:
Professional full-time, sponsored WR>50 = Weekly
Pro but poor bottomed = monthly
Semi but well-off = twice/month
Amateur active = quarterly
Amateur active and well-off = monthly
Amateur active but miserly = every 2 years
Rich amateur EJ = weekly
Take your pick. All it takes is money.Smile

Edited by Tinykin - 10/19/2014 at 7:48pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2014 at 8:19pm
I very much doubt the wear will be significantly different between the plastic and celluloid balls...

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I very much doubt the wear will be significantly different between the plastic and celluloid balls...

Agree. Just a plastic ball
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I think that it really depence what kind of a game you have. I aim to drive hard when ever I can and if i can´t I try to loop heavy loops at least. I can tell you that difference how much the ball wears out the rubber is quite big. However I´m hopeful that the thin NextLevel said is also true, meaning that you can cope with a rubber that is quite worn out with the plastic ball better than with celluloid.

Edited by Tommy16 - 10/20/2014 at 4:35am
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 8:07am
I have not notice any big difference yet. Maybe it various from rubber to rubber. 
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 10:13am
You have to hit the ball harder, it will compress the sponge and scar the rubber surface a little more, rallies are also longer, more contact time on the rubber surface.
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 10:36am
I have the impression of slightly increased rubber wear (T05) over the last three months I have been mostly using 40+ balls with Tenergy 05.  I play fairly standard offensive table tennis. For me, if this effect is real and not in my imagination, it is pretty small.  One really would need to measure this carefully with several samples over time with an objective measure to know for sure.  I am pretty picky about the condition of my rubber, usually.  I suspect any effect there is can be attributed to longer rallies.  Anyway, it is not something I would get real worried about.    
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 10:55am
I trust your impression on the wear of the rubber with the new ball since you have been using the new ball for a time unlike some body who has not used the new ball for any length of time.
Shifter
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 5:38pm
I can't see there being a whole lot in this myself. No doubt the manufacturers will have already spotted this thread and be well on the way to producing a rubbers to counteract this increased wear whether real or not.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 7:26pm
Create enough FUD and voila! you can sell anything.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic