Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member Looking to Get a Table

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
my12by60 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my12by60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member Looking to Get a Table
    Posted: 11/11/2014 at 1:26pm
Note to moderator - please move this thread to the Equipment Forum if that is more appropriate.

Hello Folks,

We live in the Phoenix area and I am looking for a table so that I can get back into this great activity.  
When I was a little kid we had a table in the basement and I learned to play.  When I was in my 20s I had a table in my garage and had many epic battles with my buddies.  That garage table was a bottom line table with a 1/2" particle board top that eventually warped a bit.  I left it in the garage for the buyers of my old house to sell at a garage sale they were holding.  Now I am in my early 50s and have an 11 year old son that is ready to battle me in table tennis.  We played on an outdoor table recently at an RV park and we agreed that we needed to get a table for use and storage in our garage.

So I have been reading on-line and keeping an eye on Craigslist for a good, used indoor table.  Last week I played on a Kettler outdoor table with the aluminum top and I was not crazy about the table.  I am zeroed in on an indoor table with either a 3/4" or 1" top.  I have read the table review thread in the equipment  forum here.  Most of the tables I see on my local Craigslist are low end, thin top indoor tables.   I have also seen quite a few of the Kettler outdoor tables, but none of the better indoor tables have come up for sale.

Looking at new tables on-line I have narrowed down to the the following two tables which seem to offer the most bang for the buck by allowing me to make local pick-up.

1" top table from Walmart.com - This looks like a heck of a table in the pictures, but unfortunately the table has no buyer reviews.  I know a 1" top is heavy, so I would like to see a review that confirms that the undercarriage is up to the job of supporting that heavy top.  This table even includes a cover.  This table looks similar to the Sportcraft Marquis that seems to no longer be available since Sportcraft went bankrupt.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39073013?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227027668117&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=44466396032&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=86170728032&veh=sem

3/4" top Stiga ST3100 from Dicks - This table does not look nearly as heavy duty as the Walmart table, but at least is has the name brand of Stiga.  The reviews on the Dicks' website for this table are uniformly good, but most of those buyers are clearly not serious table tennis players.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12152585&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:12152585:11278034:SPORT%2520GAMES&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120138600000137430&catargetid=120138600001586830&cadevice=c&DeviceOptOut=1

Any comments on these two tables would be welcome as well as any other ideas for a good table deal.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic