Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

I am proud to present ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2016 at 5:19pm
I think, it`s time for an update, because I got three more blades for my collection.
The first of them is another 

Bengtsson Clipper Wood

I did not hear about this version up to the beginning of this year. It`s a special Yasaka-version with a Yasaka tag under the handle instead of the tre-kronor-sticker.

You will find bigger pictures on page 3 of this thread, between the other Clipper Wood.

Edited by Magic_M - 04/03/2016 at 3:07am
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2016 at 4:18am
The second blade is a Bengtsson Allround Wood from the Anniversary series of 2004.

I have added lots of informations and more pictures about the different Stiga Anniversary Series on page 3 of this thread.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2016 at 4:25am
The last new blade in the moment is an old 

Butterfly Cresail SOLD

with the old german script and black metal tag. And the best: the weight is only 88,6g Big smile
while most of the Cresail are very heavy (near or over 100g).
In this combination this Cresail is extremely rare. It´s like "the holy grail". Big smile

Edited by Magic_M - 04/30/2016 at 2:17am
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2016 at 7:33am
SOOOOOOOOO beautiful Thumbs Up
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 2:32am
If you are getting older, it is not easy to find a good blade in good condition that is older than you. Wink
I am over 50 now and the oldest blades in my collection are some years younger (nearly 50).

Two day ago I got such a blade: old, famous, good condition and also nice looking. Smile

Stiga Ehrlich SOLD

Ehrlich blades were sold by Stiga over a very long period, up to the beginning of the 70`s. This last version is visible in my "sticker-collection" at the beginning of this thread. 

Now you can see the very first version of Stiga Ehrlich, with 3 hole-rows instead of the usual 2. Besides one repaired place at the edge it is in top condition. The veneer looks a bit red (especially on the forehand-side) because over all these years the old glue has "toned" the limba.

Unforunately this Ehrlich has a very big head (17,5 x 17,0 cm) and a weight of 99,7g. 
Therefore it is not playable with the heavy modern rubbers (pips in) on both sides.

Edited by Magic_M - 06/18/2016 at 7:52am
pepemol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepemol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 3:48pm
Magic: precious wood ......

I think mine is more modern....

Regards
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2016 at 1:10am
Well, "modern" is maybe the wrong description for a blade which is older than 40 years. Wink
It`s from the same series (beginning of the 70`s) like my first Ehrlich from the "sticker-series" (page 1).
But of course it is (nearly) 20 years younger than the Ehrlich from the first series.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2016 at 8:03am
Another Bengtsson blade arrived in my collection.
It is a Bengtsson Allround Classic from the last series, with one single lens.

You will find more and bigger pictures on page 2 of this thread.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2016 at 4:43am
A few days ago I got another version of the Bengtsson Junior.

On page 3 of this thread you can see a direct comparison between the 3-ply and 5-ply version.

Edited by Magic_M - 10/15/2016 at 4:44am
IrvingEinstein View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrvingEinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2016 at 5:08am
Hey Magic_M,

Any interest in selling the Shake Power?  I had one when I 15 y.o. (1979) and had it stolen 2 weeks before nationals.  Couldn't afford to replace it the time.... best bat I ever had.  

Recently returned to TT after long lay off and have worked out that new blades seem lesser in quality than the old ones.  I have still have a Stiga Offensive from the same vintage and it stacks up well against current blades of a similar ilk.  But nothing compared to the Nittaku Shake Power for speed and control. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.  And if nothing else, you have my admiration for the collection. 

Cheers
JasonW 
Irv
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2016 at 3:21pm
Maybe you did not notice that, but the NSP is already signed as "sold".
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2017 at 4:39am
It`s time to show you some pictures of one of the most beautiful and high asked Butterly blades ever:

Butterfly Klampar Carbon

lzrby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzrby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 1:56am
Hi Magic_M, thank you so much for posting these pictures and descriptions. I just spent the last hour or two reading through this whole thread and I am in awe.

I only recently got into researching about table tennis equipment and I have so so many questions. I hope you have some time to answer some (if not all) of them:

1a) How do you tell if a blade is good quality? (Basically, what makes all these old blades better than the modern mass-produced ones?)
1b) Do you place more emphasis on the physical workmanship, or the feeling of the ball?
1c) What do the thickness/weight/age have to do with the veneer quality? What about the feeling is affected by those factors?
I saw this on an earlier post in this thread:
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

This beauty has a thickness of 5,6 mm and a weight of 94g, which shows the top quality of the limba veneers. This blade has nothing to to with the actual version of the Primorac.

2a) What does a better quality paddle feel like? (I've never played with an old Stiga blade as I am much younger)
2b) Do good quality blades feel good for all (most) people? For example, will someone who has the current Clipper (and who isn't a complete newbie to the sport) automatically understand why the really old Clipper feels "better" if they try it out?
2C) Can a paddle have poor workmanship but still feel good?

3a) What are the best feeling and/or best quality paddles produced nowadays? You mentioned Infinity VPS, Emerald VPS, and Rosewood XO for Stiga. What about others (both Stiga and non-Stiga)? Do the brands who don't release newer models (like Avalox) still have the same quality blades as in the past?
3b) How can I ensure I'm buying a good quality blade if it's from an online shop like Tabletennis11? I know a lot of sponsored players go and try different blades of the same name and choose the ones that feels best to them (See this link about Wang Liqin's Clipper: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?12536-Wang-Liqin-Stiga-Clipper). But are there guidelines for weight, thickness, etc for those who don't have that luxury?
3c) What are the best value-for-money blades on the market nowadays?

4) How many of these blades do you play with, and how many have never had another owner other than you?

I would love your feedback if you could spare a bit of time!
lzrby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzrby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 2:23am
Also, in addition to being curious about the topic of historic blades, I am in search of a blade that feels similar to my current Yasaka Extra Offensive 7 Power, but is slower and more controlled. I have a penhold version of this blade with boosted Hurricane 3 Provincial Neo on FH and Yasaka Rising Dragon on BH.

My blade has a crisp feeling when I loop, and I've tried several other of my friends' paddles without really finding anything that I like (except for maybe a Viscaria with Tenergy on FH and/or an Innerforce super ZLC also with tenergy... but those are both shakehand and really expensive)

I was wondering if you could help me figure out what makes my blade feel this way. Is it because mine is lighter than normal? Because it has harder top plies and softer inner plies? (Wenge-spruce-thin carbon-kiri-thin carbon-spruce-wenge) Because of the boosted Hurricane? Because Yasaka penhold blades have that feeling in general? Or maybe it has a hollow handle? (like the Donic Senso blades and the Nittaku Acoustic, among others)

Out of these blades, have you tried any that fit my description of having a crisp feeling while looping?
Infinity VPS, Donic Waldner Senso, Avalox P500, Stiga Rosewood NCT V, Clipper.

It's impractical for me to buy a bunch of blades just to try them once and find they don't work, so I'm trying to narrow down my options without spending a ton of money.

Thanks so much in advance!
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by lzrby lzrby wrote:

1a) How do you tell if a blade is good quality? (Basically, what makes all these old blades better than the modern mass-produced ones?)
Well, if you have read my thread, you should have already found some arguments.
"All blades were manufactured very carefully with special material and special producing-methods. For example Stiga used old veneers, which had a long time to dry very slowly. They used a natural glue (hide-glue, bone-glue), the handle-parts were glued with very low pressure and nailed with two (some blades with three) nails."
But not "all blades" were better than all actual. This would be crazy. Because it is always a question of personal preferences. Most fans of these old Stiga blades love the woody, but nevertheless direct feeling of these old blades. 
1b) Do you place more emphasis on the physical workmanship, or the feeling of the ball?
For me the feeling is much more important than the craftsmanship.
1c) What do the thickness/weight/age have to do with the veneer quality? What about the feeling is affected by those factors?
Thickness alone has nothing to do with veneer quality, but in combination with head size and weight it has. The very best Stiga blades with classic limba-limba-ayous construction had relatively dark limba veneer. Especially the second limba layer was made out of dark and hard veneer, which of course is heavier than light and soft wood. This hard and dark limba veneer was the reason for the more direct feeling, which helped for easy control and ball-placement. 
The old Stiga blades of the late 60`s and early 70`s had a big head size of round about 16,3 x 15,4 cm. You will find big variations in thickness, from less than 5 mm up to nearly 6 mm. The thicker the blade, the faster it was. For me 5,5 - 5,6 mm was an ideal thickness for these blades. This thickness combined with the big head and the harder (second) limba results in a weight of more than 90g (95g up to more than 100g). If you find a blade with the same thickness (5,5 - 5,6 mm) and a weight of less than 90g, the only reason an be, that the veneers are softer and lighter. In this case the feeling will not as direct as I (and many other Stiga fans) like.
2a) What does a better quality paddle feel like? (I've never played with an old Stiga blade as I am much younger)
That's the wrong question, because each of us feels different and we all have different strategies and wishes. Some players generally prefer a very soft feeling and low speed. Other players prefer fast and hard blades. Therefore you can not say, that ONE kind of blade is the best or good for all of us.
2b) Do good quality blades feel good for all (most) people? For example, will someone who has the current Clipper (and who isn't a complete newbie to the sport) automatically understand why the really old Clipper feels "better" if they try it out?
No, definitely not all (see the explanation on the last question). The best Clipper Wood blades (for me) were thinner than the actual versions. Therefore they were not too fast and had a better feeling (for me). But if someone plays with short pips and wants to smash as often as possible, he would prefer the actual version.
2C) Can a paddle have poor workmanship but still feel good?
Yes, that's definitely a fact. For example if you use a top glue and high quality veneers and if you glue them with the right pressure, the feeling will be good, no matter how it looks. For example the edges could be sharp or not symmetric. Why should this blade play bad and another blade with rounded and symmetric edges plays good? The craftsmanship has not much to doo with the playing-skills in my eyes.
3a) What are the best feeling and/or best quality paddles produced nowadays? You mentioned Infinity VPS, Emerald VPS, and Rosewood XO for Stiga. What about others (both Stiga and non-Stiga)? Do the brands who don't release newer models (like Avalox) still have the same quality blades as in the past?
Sorry, but this question is impossible to answer. In the 60`s there were only a few constructions and more than 90% of the blades had the same construction, while today there are MUCH more constructions, with and without composite layers. What I mentioned is, that Stiga was the absolute best blade producer over a long period, but in the last 20 years they produced a lot of sh.. and only a few good blades (in my eyes). Of course many brands produce good blades. But what is good? Do you prefer the same blades and skills like I do? I don't know.
3b) How can I ensure I'm buying a good quality blade if it's from an online shop like Tabletennis11? I know a lot of sponsored players go and try different blades of the same name and choose the ones that feels best to them (See this link about Wang Liqin's Clipper: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?12536-Wang-Liqin-Stiga-Clipper). But are there guidelines for weight, thickness, etc for those who don't have that luxury?
The question is, if you would be able to play with the same blade. For example if Timo Boll or Ma Long choose one blade out of 100 available blades, this may be the best choice for THEM, but maybe this blade would be the wrong choice for YOU, because they have other skills than you. At least I think so. Wink
3c) What are the best value-for-money blades on the market nowadays?
Like I wrote before: This is a question of personal preferences. Normally you can buy cheap chinese blades which are clones of famous Butterfly blades, but they definitely play different. For example the feeling is mostly much harder. For me it is too hard, but for an other one it may be perfect. Nevertheless Stiga Infinity, Donic Waldner Senso Carbon and Yasaka Extra Offensive are really good blades for low value, but I don't know, if they are good for YOU.
4) How many of these blades do you play with, and how many have never had another owner other than you?
I am sure that I have tested more than 300 blade over the years, but I did not play with all of my collection blades and none of my collection blades was played only by me, but why should this be important?

Originally posted by lzrby lzrby wrote:

Also, in addition to being curious about the topic of historic blades, I am in search of a blade that feels similar to my current Yasaka Extra Offensive 7 Power, but is slower and more controlled. 
In this case you should try to find another YEO 7 Power which is a bit lighter and maybe thinner than yours.
I have a penhold version of this blade with boosted Hurricane 3 Provincial Neo on FH and Yasaka Rising Dragon on BH. My blade has a crisp feeling when I loop, and I've tried several other of my friends' paddles without really finding anything that I like (except for maybe a Viscaria with Tenergy on FH and/or an Innerforce super ZLC also with tenergy... but those are both shakehand and really expensive)

I was wondering if you could help me figure out what makes my blade feel this way. Is it because mine is lighter than normal? Because it has harder top plies and softer inner plies? (Wenge-spruce-thin carbon-kiri-thin carbon-spruce-wenge) Because of the boosted Hurricane? Because Yasaka penhold blades have that feeling in general? Or maybe it has a hollow handle? (like the Donic Senso blades and the Nittaku Acoustic, among others)
Well, I don`t know, why YOU like the feeling of the YEO 7 Power. 
Personally I prefer two kind of constructions:
1. a (relatively) soft outer veneer (for example limba) combined with a harder second veneer (for example a harder limba version like on the old Stiga blades, koto or something like this
2. a thin (not more than 0,5 mm) and relatively hard outer veneer (for example nut, rosewood or koto) combined with a softer second veneer (like spruce or ayous).
FOR ME it seems that a thickness of 5,6 - 5,9 mm is a good thickness.
Out of these blades, have you tried any that fit my description of having a crisp feeling while looping?
Infinity VPS, Donic Waldner Senso, Avalox P500, Stiga Rosewood NCT V, Clipper.
For a crisp feeling, yo need a hard veneer (outer veneer or second veneer) or maybe a tempered veneer. For example the classic Butterfly ALC blades with koto outer should be a good solution. If you don't want to spend so much money, you will get nearly the same if you buy an Andro Treiber K, Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon or something like this.
It's impractical for me to buy a bunch of blades just to try them once and find they don't work, so I'm trying to narrow down my options without spending a ton of money.
Once again: as you seem to like your YEO 7 Power, you should try to find a lighter one or maybe an other version of the YEO (YEO 7 without Power or maybe the classic YEO).
lzrby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzrby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2018 at 12:20am
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My understanding from your posts is that you're saying there is no shortcut: If I want to figure out what is good feeling and what is a good fit for me, I just have to try different blades and see how I feel.
Or I can just stick with what I have and focus more on practicing and playing matches.

But I think part of the enjoyment of table tennis is having a good feeling when playing, so I will keep my eyes open.

I asked for a very thin YEO 7 Power, so I think my blade is already slower than the normal weight. So my other option was to get a slower blade.

I did end up ordering the Yasaka Sweden Extra and the Yasaka Silver All Wood (discounted from TT11). They will arrive tomorrow and I will try them out this week. I have a feeling (pun intended) that the Silver All Wood has the crisp feeling and speed I'm looking for. I tried someone else's Silver 9 Wood and I thought it had a good crisp feeling, except it was a bit stiff. So the Silver All Wood is the little brother that has the same hard top ply but is a little more flexible due to only 5 plies.
As for the Yasaka Sweden Extra, I was just curious how a softer outer ply (anegre) would feel on a brand that I have faith in, so I decided to reward myself with an extra $32 blade after some challenging exams I had recently :)

I also found out that I like boosted hurricane rubber versus unboosted, since unboosted rubber is so much more dead feeling than boosted.

I will be going to some tournaments soon, so perhaps I can find someone with either an OSP Virtuoso blade or a Nittaku Acoustic blade to try, just for curiosity. I heard they both have the hide glue that you mentioned, so perhaps they have a feeling that is similar to the old Stiga blades. I definitely won't buy them without trying them, though, since it would be a risky move if I haven't had any experience trying blades from their brands.
And if I end up liking one of them and I can really see myself keeping it for longer than 3 or 4 years, maybe I will make a purchase later on, after I have had more training and more funds of course. (Especially since the OSP Virtuoso is 104 euros including shipping worldwide, which is already less expensive than many Butterfly blades that are mass-produced).

I definitely have a greater appreciation for blade makers such as Palatinus and other people who have spend so much time in the industry and have so much knowledge. I connect with it on a deep level due to my own interest in art and engineering. If only I could learn from one of them and try experimenting making my own blades. That would be quite a challenging and interesting experience.

Anyway, after a hard training session today, I need to take some rest and then try out the new blades when they arrive. Thanks again for your time.
lzrby View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzrby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2018 at 1:04am
So I just tried my newly arrived Yasaka Silver All Wood, and I had an important realization: the sweet spot on my YEO 7 Power was very big, while the sweet spots of other blades I had been trying weren't as big. This explained why I like the feeling of the YEO 7 Power when I was looping over other blades. It was because my loop has some variability on the ball contact, and the YEO 7 Power's sweet spot was large enough while other blade felt muted when I didn't hit the sweet spot. So now I can finally feel at peace by sticking with the Silver All Wood and focusing on getting the contact location more accurate so I get that reward of wonderful vibration feedback on the loop. The extra control is also a huge plus, as well as the higher throw (to help on backhand underspin loops) and the ability to serve shorter. I suppose there is no need for me to purchase an OSP blade now. :)

Anyway, thanks for your time and I learned a lot from all your posts!
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2018 at 2:38am
It is fine that you like your blade, but don't post your reviews and impressions here in this thread. This is a thread about my Stiga collection,

Edited by Magic_M - 11/03/2018 at 2:42am
ggreco View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggreco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2019 at 3:56am
The Nittaku Shake Newall is missing...

Edited by ggreco - 06/03/2019 at 3:57am
TSP Black Balsa 5.0
FH Xiom Vega Europe max black
BH Spin Lord ORKan 1.8 red
munai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2019 at 9:57pm
The Nittaku Shake Highpower is missing...
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2019 at 8:28am
Today I got another Bengtsson blade with the very rare "lens-sticker" from July 1975.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread, these "lens-sticker" blades were only sold for a few weeks, when Stiga stopped the "face-sticker"-production and before they produced their blades with the black double-lens.

In this time Stiga sold 3 different blades: the Allround Wood, the Defensive Wood and the Offensive Wood. All other Stiga blades were released later (for example the Super Carbon in 1977).

I am happy, that I have all three "lens-sticker"-blades in my collection now.

Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2019 at 6:13am
I´m glad you got it Magic!! Clap
Alexandr 55 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexandr 55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2020 at 1:22pm
Добрый день. А как насчет прэйса Меллиса?
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2020 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Alexandr 55 Alexandr 55 wrote:

Добрый день. А как насчет прэйса Меллиса?
Translation: what about the price of the Mellis?
This is not a "For Sale Thread". This is a thread with pictures of my collection. And by the way: I don't have the Klampar any more. I stopped to collect other brands and mostly sold them - besides some old Viscaria blades, which I will offer in the next months.

Actually my collection is a pure Stellan Bengtsson collection with 46 blades.
Tabletennisnut1952 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabletennisnut1952 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2023 at 9:24am
Hi, new member here. I am 70 years old and have played since I was 15 . I have a Klampar and love it.
If I may ask, how much did your Klampar sell for?
Thanks, George Bluhm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic