FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

John McEnroe showing TT talent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John McEnroe showing TT talent
    Posted: 11/22/2014 at 9:59pm
Johnny Mac - showing how it's done on the table!

Edited by jrscatman - 11/22/2014 at 10:00pm
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

unkn0wn0ne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 12:34pm
Considering both singles & doubles, he was arguably the greatest tennis player ever. Given his lightening quick hand & foot-speed & given that he played one-handed backhand, he should be over 2000 easy at his current age, with proper coaching and correct racket
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by unkn0wn0ne unkn0wn0ne wrote:

Considering both singles & doubles, he was arguably the greatest tennis player ever. Given his lightening quick hand & foot-speed & given that he played one-handed backhand, he should be over 2000 easy at his current age, with proper coaching and correct racket
Don't know about 2000.
But heard Bjorn Borg is a really good player - as he is good friends with JO Waldner and play together a lot. Would be interesting if some pro tennis players played in TT tournament. Federer, Nadal and Monfils play a lot of TT. Apparently Monfils is the best amongst the current pros.

Butterfly MPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 8:01pm
I may be wrong but I heard Tony Kukoc (Chicago Bulls) was a junior champion in table tennis before switching to basketball and heard was estimated over 2100.

There is also a Swedish pro-golfer Fredrik Jacobson who I heard was very good in table tennis

Both Borg & Vilas both won the tournament of rackets (where you play 3 or 4 sport other than yours).
It is a well known fact Borg got started in table tennis when his father's prize for winning a table-tennis tournament was a tennis racket which he gave to young Bjorn. His father is supposed to be damn good in TT considering the first Swedish Table Tennis Dream Team of early 70's.

There was another Polish tennis pro player who was supposed to be 2100+ in TT.

Of course fashion pioneer Fred Perry is the only player to win the Wimbledon after he won the World Singles Table Tennis Championships.

There was Ann Hayden of Britain who lost in the TT World Singles Finals & also lost in the Wimbledon finals I believe.

There were a couple of players from St.Louis area such as George Henry or something who were supposed to be good in tennis as well as TT

Edited by unkn0wn0ne - 11/23/2014 at 8:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unkn0wn0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 8:07pm

I may be wrong but I heard Tony Kukoc (Chicago Bulls) was a junior champion in table tennis before switching to basketball and heard was estimated over 2100.

There is also a Swedish pro-golfer Fredrik Jacobson who I heard was very good in table tennis

Both Borg & Vilas both won the tournament of rackets (where you play 3 or 4 sport other than yours).
It is a well known fact Borg got started in tennis when his father's prize for winning a table-tennis tournament was a tennis racket which he gave to young Bjorn. His father is supposed to be damn good in TT considering the first Swedish Table Tennis Dream Team of early 70's. Borg pioneered the slow looping top-spin in tennis from his table-tennis background

Of course fashion pioneer Fred Perry is the only player to win the Wimbledon after he won the World Singles Table Tennis Championships.

There was Ann Hayden of Britain who lost in the TT World Singles Finals & also lost in the Wimbledon finals I believe.

There were a couple of players from St.Louis area such as George Henry or something who were supposed to be good in tennis as well as TT
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 10:32pm

It is a well known fact Borg got started in table tennis when his father's prize for winning a table-tennis tournament was a tennis racket which he gave to young Bjorn. His father is supposed to be damn good in TT considering the first Swedish Table Tennis Dream Team of early 70's.

Baltimore Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy is about 1800-1900. Former center fielder and current VP Brady Anderson is about 1700-1800. I've coached both, and they visited and played players at my club, MDTTC.
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 12:03am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Baltimore Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy is about 1800-1900. Former center fielder and current VP Brady Anderson is about 1700-1800. I've coached both, and they visited and played players at my club, MDTTC.
-Larry Hodges

Larry, I've seen your blog entries about JJ Hardy and Brady Anderson, but what  about comedian/impersonator Frank Caliendo? I believe you estimated his level to be around 1800, and I'm curious to know a little about his playing style.

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/24/2014 at 12:05am
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

-Larry Hodges

Larry, I've seen your blog entries about JJ Hardy and Brady Anderson, but what  about comedian/impersonator Frank Caliendo? I believe you estimated his level to be around 1800, and I'm curious to know a little about his playing style.

Frank Caliendo has a USATT rating of 1658. Rating is from July of 2011

Edited by Vince64 - 11/24/2014 at 12:41am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

As noted by Vince64 (below), he has a 1658 rating from July, 2011. However, since that time he's been taking lessons from Sean O'Neill and Samson Dubina (and I've since learned from Matt Winkler in Phoenix), and has improved to about 1800 level. I'm told his level goes up and down depending on how much practice he gets, since he has a rather busy traveling schedule. 

He plays a very orthodox shakehands inverted game, with a looping forehand and looping and countering backhand. Smooth strokes, a little weak on receive. I played doubles with and against him when he visited MDTTC, as he's done several times when his stand-up schedule brings him here. 

I'm a little embarrassed that when I played doubles with him, an opponent kept popping up his short serve slightly, so I naturally kept flip killing them - and missed way too many! In my defense, I joined them after something like four hours of coaching and so was pretty tired and stiff. I'm afraid Frank will remember me as playing wildly, but I should have made those shots. 

-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 11/25/2014 at 7:25am
www.MDTTC.com
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 10:36am
Whenever I play pong against a person who hits backhands like they're playing tennis, I destroy them. LOL

JK, he could probably beat me through intimidation alone.

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 11/24/2014 at 10:36am
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 10:38am
what is amusing is when tennis players use a 2 handed backhand in table tennis

:)
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 11:37am
Way back when CBS had the World Racquets  Championship I coached John and practiced with him. Of course he won the TT. He was quite good. The competitors were not allowed to play their own sport. At least 1600 with a Hardbat  way,way back in 1979.
 John was only 18 then and he had just won the WCT big tournament in Dallas. 
Dan
DS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 11:42am
Way back when CBS hosted the Wotld Racquets Championships I coached John 
 in the TT portion. He won easily.   The competitors were not allowed to play their own sport. John was at least 1600 with a Hardbat way,way back in 1979.
 John was only 18 at the time and he had just won the WCT finals in Dallas over Borg I think.
 Borg also played one year and he was maybe a little better than John. Bjorn was the only one in the 3 years of this tourney who used his own Mark V racket.
 Dan
DS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by danseemiller danseemiller wrote:

Way back when CBS hosted the Wotld Racquets Championships I coached John 
 in the TT portion. He won easily.   The competitors were not allowed to play their own sport. John was at least 1600 with a Hardbat way,way back in 1979.
 John was only 18 at the time and he had just won the WCT finals in Dallas over Borg I think.
 Borg also played one year and he was maybe a little better than John. Bjorn was the only one in the 3 years of this tourney who used his own Mark V racket.
 Dan
Dan,
How competitive were they in other sports from a mental stand point. Even though they weren't playing their sport.

Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

what is amusing is when tennis players use a 2 handed backhand in table tennis
:)
I initially thought this was funny, but after learning more about 2HBH - it might be helpful for people who play with 2HBH to use that so they have proper stroke mechanics on the backhand. A lot youngsters (especially) have never hit a one hand backhand in Tennis.
Butterfly MPS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 2:40pm
The tennis  players didn't take it that serious as they had appearance fees. The badminton, Squash, and racquetball players were into it as was I as the 1st prize was $25,000.  5th place was $4,500.
 I think I finished 4th,4th and 3rd. I was never a rackets player more Baseball , football and Basketball
 The problem with the format was the tennis player every year easily won the TT. The squash player easily won the racquetball, the racquetball the squash and the badminton and tt players had no sport that was close in nature.
DS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2014 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by danseemiller danseemiller wrote:

The tennis  players didn't take it that serious as they had appearance fees. The badminton, Squash, and racquetball players were into it as was I as the 1st prize was $25,000.  5th place was $4,500.
 I think I finished 4th,4th and 3rd. I was never a rackets player more Baseball , football and Basketball
 The problem with the format was the tennis player every year easily won the TT. The squash player easily won the racquetball, the racquetball the squash and the badminton and tt players had no sport that was close in nature.
That is very interesting. Horatio Pintea (you might know him from the Canadian TT team) a couple of years ago won the doubles senior World championships in Racketlon. Similar racquets sport - however, you are allowed to compete in your main sport. 
I remember he picked up Tennis very quickly - he was able to hit top spin very quickly. Perhaps the new tennis racquets make it much easier. He was very competent in Squash and Badminton.
Also he uses the traditional shakehands grip in TT.....hmmmm not that Seemiller grip!Big smile 
Butterfly MPS
Jes2165894 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jes2165894 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 2:14am
In addition to this, Frank Caliendo regularly takes lessons from Matt Winkler in Phoenix, this perhaps being the biggest reason to his continued improvement.

Edited by Jes2165894 - 11/25/2014 at 2:22am
Jes2165894 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jes2165894 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 2:19am

Edited by Jes2165894 - 11/25/2014 at 2:22am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Jes2165894 Jes2165894 wrote:

In addition to this, Frank Caliendo regularly takes lessons from Matt Winkler in Phoenix, this perhaps being the biggest reason to his continued improvement.
Didn't know about that - I'll add a note to my posting on that. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by Jes2165894 Jes2165894 wrote:

Didn't know about that - I'll add a note to my posting on that. 
-Larry Hodges

I don't know his actual rating, but from talking with Matt, he's probably around the 1800 level or so now.  He trains hard.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2014 at 4:46pm
I did see on facebook sometime that Peter Snell (World athelete of the Decade 60s) plays table tennis 
 he has a rating of 1166 after making some gains at the Huntsman games, We used to have some kind of sports show challenge here years ago where the contenders did tennis, swimming running , weights and other sports and Peter was the great alrounder, I think he came third in the World in some superstars of sport event

Edited by smackman - 11/25/2014 at 4:55pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic