FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

PPH's Yinhe Moon Speed Rubber Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPH's Yinhe Moon Speed Rubber Review
    Posted: 11/23/2014 at 3:58am

First Impressions: Just ordered a few as I have pretty much given up on Chinese trying to make decent backhand rubbers.  But EJ senses just can't resist=S  They come in an impressive packaging just like the Moon/Sun/Mars Series.  These come factory tuned, and a Tensor sticky protection sheet.  Topsheet is similar to original Moon, but somewhat better quality when I run my fingers thru it.  Has slight tack, but will likely go away.  First I wasn't impressed at all from my own skeptism, but soon to realize that these can compete against the more expensive rubbers such as Stiga's Tour (similar topsheet), older generation stuff such as Mark V, Desto series, or dare I say some new gen stuff(FastArc C-1).  Glued it on my backhand of Hayabusa ZX.  The rubber is very heavy at ~51 grams.  This should turn most people away, but I usually use heavy rubbes on both sides such as H3, Moon Pro, now Big Dipper, Tibhar's MX-P, Xiom Sigma series.  Black rubbers come with blue sponge, and Red comes with bright yellow just like Big Dippers.

In-Action Sessions: Not optimistic at all before I played with it.  Just when I hit my first RPB shot, it caught my attention right away.  Felt like a Japanese rubber right away, almost like FastArc C-1 that I've played with.  Since this is Medium hardness, it's comparable between M1(47.5°) to MX-P(46°).  Throw for these Chinese rubbers supposedly for backhand use are usually low, this is no exception.  However, it's not as bad as other ones, so I would say it has medium low throw.  I got accustomed to it in just a few hits.  My partner described my BH as very spinny, I had an EL-P on my other blade & was interchanging between the 2 setups.  Moon Speed can do everything that EL-P can.  It's fast, spinny, great at blocking.  It also has the sounds of glue effect, probably from the factory tuning.  Counter topspin/blocks/drives are super easy as I didn't have to adjust much from my normal BH rubbers.  I wasn't as proficient in lifting underspins in the opening game, but I believe I just need to tweak some techniques.  No problem driving in opening either.   

Summary: I have became a believer after only one session!  This is a serious contender for my backhand as it does everything well, just like those ESN/Jap rubbers.  I haven't gotten a chance to do away from table play yet, so it needs to be seen.   But everything else is very similar to Jap rubbers such as FastArc C-1, Renanos Hold, etc.  Next thing I am looking for is consistency, durability, and lasting effects of performance (Tuning durability).  

Overall: Very underrated & under the radar rubber just like Big Dipper.  BD is somewhat of a hit in this forum because ZA & Andy vouched for them.  I agree that they have excellent creditability & are probably better players than me.  I've been a Yinhe fanboy since Moon Pro came out, and I have gotten better results with them than using pro H3.  I wasn't as impressed with original Moon/Mars, but Moon Speed should be considered especially for your EJs=P.  I understand that not everybody will like this rubber as with any other equipment.  So for those who have read some of my reviews & agree to my findings, I recommend to try this one.  Maybe Soft version will suit someone that requires a better feedback.  I might give that a try in the future.  Will keep updating & provide video if given the opportunity.  Cheers=)   

Review was done playing with Yinhe's 40+ plastic ball & DHS 40+.

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 11/23/2014 at 3:32pm
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 2:57pm
Great review, and pretty much reflects how I feel about Moon Speed too.

I got a sheet of MS (Red, Soft) when I made my first Big Dipper order. It was a nice surprise! Really quite different to the original Moon. Lower arc, faster, bouncier. An incredibly easy rubber to block and drive with.

I stuck with it for 3 weeks and really enjoyed using it. The only sticking points were ease of lifting backspin (needed more effort than I was used to) and a lethal top-gear speed (which snaps in quite dramatically). Combining those two together made it hard for me when BH looping - fast bat speed needed a reasonable level of precision or whoooooooeeee the ball went long. Just hitting, driving and blocking was a really fun experience though. Boom - bullets everywhere. Reminds me of a Bryce Speed type of rubber (only 1/4 of the cost, of course).

I had hoped that it would calm down a touch after several weeks, but it didn't so I took it off. Bit tricky to commit to something like this mid-way through a season. I would have to knuckle down and drill with it for a bit, and I just don't have the time at the moment. Otherwise I would have definitely put the effort in. Amazing performance for the money, if you're after a low-ish throwing, reasonably grippy, quite fast rubber. The quality and performance is easily a match for (or better than) something like Haifu Shark, Stiga Boost, Calibra Tour. I actually preferred it to T64-FX on the BH too, so that's solved the BTY cash cow problem for me.

All of this was with the celluloid ball, but with the rubber being as it is I did give it a try with the DHS 40+. Obviously this isn't a great ball, but I did actually prefer Moon Speed with the plastic. The high-gear snappy speed became useful rather than a handful, leaving only a nice air of satisfaction floating around. Once my local league starts to adopt plastic, I'll probably come back to Moon Speed.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 9:51am
Update 12/5: Moon Speed on BH
As mentioned earlier, I had problems with opening against underspin variations...That have been fixed with a few more sessions.  Can even do in table banana flicks now.  I am quite comfortable with the throw now.  Speed is still there.  Again, this thing is a beast in close to table counters/blocks.  Away from the table is decent, very consistent but you have to generate own power compared to the MX-Ps & Sigmas. 
I think I might go with Big Dipper on BH as well for spinnier openings since MS & BD use the same sponge...
I flipped my paddle to hit some forehands, & this thing is just as spinny as Big Dipper! 
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 8:34pm
PP Holic didn't have trouble tospinning any short ball I gave him to BH... He almost looked like a C-Pen version of me on BH wing.

He wasn't doing that a year ago, or even 2 months ago.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2018 at 10:45am
I purchased this rubber for a deceloping player for his BH. I could try it for a while but honestly I didnt like too much, its quite slow & dead with mild tack as the rubber digs on the net. It's cheap but far away from Goldarc series or any Tinarc.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I purchased this rubber for a deceloping player for his BH. I could try it for a while but honestly I didnt like too much, its quite slow & dead with mild tack as the rubber digs on the net. It's cheap but far away from Goldarc series or any Tinarc.

Count me in. I had expectations when I bought a sheet of moon but its dead. Literally dead. Couldn’t really engage the rubber what so ever. I’ve detached with couple of days and went back to Palio AK47 yellow.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2018 at 6:05am
BTW, the sponge has changed from the firsts batches. My soft red has orange sponge, same as regular MS version.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by patelaaaa patelaaaa wrote:

Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Count me in. I had expectations when I bought a sheet of moon but its dead. Literally dead. Couldn’t really engage the rubber what so ever. I’ve detached with couple of days and went back to Palio AK47 yellow.

My results were similar, just didn't seem to have the bite I was expecting with the new balls.  Disappointed, I was a fan of the Moon Pro, this was so different from that, I was left wondering why they used the Moon name for this rubber.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2018 at 4:01pm
Don't know moon speed is tacky; now just wonder is it same as galaxy jupiter 2?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2018 at 5:58pm
I don't think my moon speed is tacky.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2018 at 12:49am
My Moon Speed is not sticky,  more like the standard version than the Pro.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic