FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BH Rubbers for RPB players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:07pm
I'm just clearing up the common misconceptions about RPB. People can play however they want, but there are better/worse ways of doing things.
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

The traditional BH is quite restrictive at higher levels since the wrist lacks flexibility at the angles necessary to block loops. Contrast to RPB where counters against topspin are automatic and even more natural angle than SH.

Unless someone's game is based on pushing it's hard to imagine they'd be better off with traditional penhold.

I don't know where you get this "TPB's game is based on pushing" from.  TPB is pretty flexible to block loops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdGb0-KTy3k

BTW I played on the Argentina National Team as a K-pen player. 

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

The traditional BH is quite restrictive at higher levels since the wrist lacks flexibility at the angles necessary to block loops. Contrast to RPB where counters against topspin are automatic and even more natural angle than SH.

Unless someone's game is based on pushing it's hard to imagine they'd be better off with traditional penhold.

I don't know where you get this "TPB's game is based on pushing" from.  TPB is pretty flexible to block loops:

I agree with RR.

In general TPB is actually better in defense or control type of strokes, including blocking loops, compared to RPB.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 12:22am

> Ma Lin's BH is tricky, very agile and he can hit a huge variety of shots from his BH but it lacks power and stability!

Ma Lin's spin pushes will lose out some (and he's really the extreme case) but this is more than made up by better topspin handling and better opening against backspin.

the best BH I ve seen is chiang penglung TBP  
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 12:52am

The closed angle necessary to block high spin loops is at the very limit of motion for the human wrist. That's why you see these players contort their bodies somewhat to block topspin. At the limit the range of flexibility drops towards zero, which means they need to use their body to control the angle instead of just wrist. That's also why they need to really contort to pull off a BH loop. As a serious pen player you should know that it was recommended more for tall players simply because they can close the angle down over the table better due to geometry of their height.

This worked better when pen players were still hitting with low-throw pips, or used bit lower throw 1-plies, but the pro scene has moved on.

Contrast this to RPB which has a very natural angle against topspin.

Edited by AgentHEX - 01/28/2015 at 12:57am
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:51am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

> Ma Lin's BH is tricky, very agile and he can hit a huge variety of shots from his BH but it lacks power and stability!

Ma Lin's spin pushes will lose out some (and he's really the extreme case) but this is more than made up by better topspin handling and better opening against backspin.

the best BH I ve seen is chiang penglung TBP  

+1 amazing blocks… one of the only players to turn the weakness of a style to a strength! 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:55am

The closed angle necessary to block high spin loops is at the very limit of motion for the human wrist. That's why you see these players contort their bodies somewhat to block topspin. At the limit the range of flexibility drops towards zero, which means they need to use their body to control the angle instead of just wrist. That's also why they need to really contort to pull off a BH loop. As a serious pen player you should know that it was recommended more for tall players simply because they can close the angle down over the table better due to geometry of their height.

Thats true if all you do is straight forward passive blocks….  
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 12:24pm
The point is the more limited range of motion restricts flexibility. If this weren't a problem, the ranks of top players wouldn't be moving away from it.
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 3:51am
Originally posted by wankhao wankhao wrote:

First of all, thank you for viewing my post.
Today, my topic is Backhand rubbers for Reverse Penhold Backhand players.

Challenges: There are difference challenges for RPB players at different levels.

1. Their backhand could not get the ball over the net. (Beginner level)
2. Their backhand could not generate enough spin (Novice level)
3. Their backhand could not deliver enough power (Amateur level)
4. Their backhand could not counter attack/loop (Pro level)

The technique to learn is on youtube demonstrated by Wang Hao, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrIDgT6TnY

Therefore, different rubbers are needed for the backhand at different levels.

1.To get the ball over the net: Fast rubber, eg:  Xiom
2. To generate spin: Soft (in hardness) and slow rubber, eg: Calibra LT/ Tour
3. To deliver power (and block): Soft and fast rubber, eg: Hexer HD, Palio macro Pro
4. To counter attack (and punch/catapult): Medium (in hardness) fast rubber , eg: Tenergy 05, Rakza 7.

If you feel comfortable using Tenergy 05, or Rakza 7, then keep them.
If you don't feel comfortable with them, step down to other rubbers as mentioned in order 1 to 4.
Once you are not happy with them, move up the ladder in order 1 to 4.

Never ever use Chinese rubbers on your backhand with RPB.

I will post a comparison between Tenery05 and Rakza 7 for BH rubber for RPB players if requested.

I believe tibhar aurus can cover first 3 levels

1. It's forgiving
2. Spinny
3. Fast

Using it on 4th level would be a matter of personal preference IMO.
Works best with blades having hinoki top ply e.g Joola Rossi Emotion

Edited by ronakvyas86 - 04/15/2016 at 3:52am
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 2:11am
Thanks for the post. But this really doesn't give me much help on which rubber to choose. I've been playing with Mark V on both sides for a while now, and I'm itching for something a little more aggressive. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic