Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smelling rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JulienVictor View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulienVictor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smelling rubbers
    Posted: 01/27/2015 at 10:44am
Dear

I want to buy a racket from a Chinese Seller due to pricing, the problem is I have read that Chinese bats smell strogly and I can't stand that, absolutely not.

So I have seen this seller from a Chinese brand called XVT who sells a bat with Butterlfy Tenergy 64 and Japanese Darker VLON-S rubbers. Do they smell? As said it's important to me.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-XVT-ARCHER-B-Butterfly-Tenergy-64-Table-Tennis-racket-Table-Tennis-bat-Free-Shipping/318693_32227369046.html

Kind Regards

Julien

Edited by JulienVictor - 01/27/2015 at 10:45am
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:13am
the blade shouldn't smell.  I think darker rubbers have been Chinese made for a while so that rubber might smell.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:20am
That T64 can't be legitimate for the price.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:20am
Cole, by bat, he means the whole setup.

JulienVictor,

The setup will most certainly smell.  Do note that the Tenergy is likely to be fake anyway.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:21am
That is fake Tenergy so it might also smell.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Moloch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:28am
would tenergy be fake if I would buy it from a shop like teessport.

And For your question I guess it depends what glue is used to glue the bat together
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Moloch Moloch wrote:

And For your question I guess it depends what glue is used to glue the bat together

Tenergy is likely to be fake if it is cheap no matter what shop you buy it from!!!!Tongue (other then buy dealers)
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Moloch Moloch wrote:

No, it's unlikely because teessport is a reputable dealer.  Usually, the price is the first indicator (Tenergy below $50 is just about impossible and most dealer discounts start in the $50s )- reasonable retail prices begin at $62-65 and can be as high as $80.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 3:54pm
what the name of the smeller
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:19pm
from what I remember of aliexpress, they are pricing like 1000 of them, so the price you see is more of a wholesale price

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:20pm
ok, well at $25 it's definitely fake

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 6:09pm
The tacky rubbers will smell like a rotten fish due to presence of the chemical additive called "nitroso", secondary dimetylamides.     And non tacky staff will not.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

The tacky rubbers will smell like a rotten fish due to presence of the chemical additive called "nitroso", secondary dimetylamides.     And non tacky staff will not.

Black Yasaka Mark V smells more fishy than anything, yet it is not tacky at all.  Wink

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 8:51pm

First prize in the daily competition in the Journal of Obscure Information!Thumbs Down
Igor, your nomenclature is highly imprecise and therefore misleading, with the potential of incriminating the rubber makers (similar sounding chemical names are reserved for highly carcinogenic substances).

I would say that the smell may come from various amines, but that is an exceptionally broad family of compounds. All in all, it is better to use rubbers that don't smell that badly... well, unless they are H3 or TG3Wink. BTW, my Sriver EL (ca. 3 years ago) did not smell too well.

Edited by JacekGM - 01/27/2015 at 8:55pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

First prize in the daily competition in the Journal of Obscure Information!Thumbs Down
Igor, your nomenclature is highly imprecise and therefore misleading, with the potential of incriminating the rubber makers (similar sounding chemical names are reserved for highly carcinogenic substances).

I would say that the smell may come from various amines, but that is an exceptionally broad family of compounds. All in all, it is better to use rubbers that don't smell that badly... well, unless they are H3 or TG3Wink. BTW, my Sriver EL (ca. 3 years ago) did not smell too well.

hanggg onnn.
while rotton fish is DEFINATELY due to amides i have an issues with the similar soudning chemical names(because to laymen it means procaine and procainamide and niether is carcinogenic)
buttt

H3 smells like new balloons(i have a bat with a sheet i used once) not fish!!
g888 on the other hand smells awful!

and my non tacky super cheap 729 rubbers smell almost of nothing i think there could be somthing in this non tacky smells nicer business. i feel it warrents investigation
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:11pm
just leave the rubber/bat out in an open area with good ventilation for a couple of days and the SMELL will subside.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2015 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

hanggg onnn.
while rotton fish is DEFINATELY due to amides i have an issues with the similar soudning chemical names(because to laymen it means procaine and procainamide and niether is carcinogenic)
buttt

H3 smells like new balloons(i have a bat with a sheet i used once) not fish!!
g888 on the other hand smells awful!

and my non tacky super cheap 729 rubbers smell almost of nothing i think there could be somthing in this non tacky smells nicer business. i feel it warrents investigation
You miss the clues here by such a large margin that I must ask you to stay away from this.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulienVictor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 7:15am
Wow, of I am impressed of the amount of informations you gave, thank you :)

Well as most of you advise that these are probably fake rubbers I don't take it, wouldn't be the first time finding fakes on aliexpress ;)

I heard Palio Chinese bats don't smell, can somebody confirm this?

I am also thinking buying a more or less advanced player bat from a German ebay seller for 26€ with shipping, it's called Maze Gold with Wakaba rubbers. What do you think about the price-ratio of it, is it worth the money? Do you know if it smells strongly?

And yes I guess it's a good idea to put the bat in front of a fan for some hours :)

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/TT-Wettkampfschlager-Maze-Gold-mit-ITTF-Belagen-f-Verein-u-Wettkampf-/151559428358?pt=DE_Sport_Schl%C3%A4gersportarten_Schl%C3%A4ger&hash=item2349a55906

Kind regards

Edited by JulienVictor - 01/28/2015 at 7:41am
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 8:55am
some hours? You look a guy full with optimism.
It took me a month.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulienVictor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2015 at 5:25pm
OK I see Igor, thanks.
Do you know if these Wakaba rubbers (D-13 is also written on the red one) from the racket I sent smell strongly?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:17pm
In my experience (and I have a lot) the sponges smell a lot more like fish and/or cat urine than the topsheets do.  I carry a lot of separate sponges and tops.  The sponges are extremely strong....the topsheets by themselves barely have a smell at all.

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulienVictor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2015 at 1:04pm
OK Thanks for the info :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic