FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Carbonado 145 - Unboxing and review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2015 at 8:26pm
Hoping to receive both my 145 n 190 this week from stiga
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2015 at 6:08pm
I played my first practice today with the Carbonado 145 and this is my first impressions. 

The blade weights 92 grams and I like the quality and design. In the game I’m first of all I’m really impressed with the control in this blade even though it was very fast. I rank it to be OFF. Great speed and control in the open game and it had a wide sweet spot. I got good touch in my serve and returns and my short game overall. I have only played with it for one practice so it’s to early to say to much but a really great blade so far, will make a longer review when I have practice with it some more and played some real matches. 

Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 5:21pm
Finally you got to try out the blade. Looking forward to hear your full review :)
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 8:41pm
Just updated my review on TTD with the 190 :)
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2015 at 4:32pm
I have now played with the Carbonado 145 for about two weeks and this is what I have experienced : 

I agree with many of your thoughts about the blade Giangt and I feel that we share the same picture of the blade. I really like the design and as you wrote the shaft is a little rough which really gave me a good grip even after my hands got a little sweaty. My blade weight 92 grams which I think is a good weight even though I know that it’s very personal. 

I’m playing with Bluefire M1 on both forehand and backhand and I think this was a great combination with the Carbonado. The blade was a little faster then I was thinking from reading other reviews but it still had great control in both the open game and when It comes to serve and returns. 

I think it worked good away from the table where I could get full use of the power in the blade, I think it suits players who prefer standing from mid distance and outplay the opponent with speed and placement. As you Giangt I could really feel the large sweet spots which I think Stiga really have succeeded with in the new way of mastering with the carbon. 

I got a good push and pressure in my block and I felt very stable especially in my backhand block which I’m proud to say is my favourite weapon in matches. 

My serve got a little to long in the beginning since it was a little faster then my ordinary racket but after a few tries I could easily modify the difference and get a spiny short serve. This blade has a great balance between speed and control and it works extraordinary when playing short pushes even if it’s a fast offensive blade. Together with my Bluefire I could generate much spin in my serve and returns. 

I would also rank this blade as OFF. I have tried both faster and slower Offensive blades but not many blades have succeeded to keep the control as good as the Carbonado 145, I’m really happy with my bought and will as you Giangt use this as my main blade in the future. I have used it with the new poly ball. 

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 3:26am
I agree to most of this points, but for me it is a bit too fast (faster than my Emerald). For such a fast blade the control is very good, especially in the passive game. My only problem was, that some balls are too long, when I attack with my forehand (with Airoc M 2,1). Therefore I will continue playing with my Emerald.

If someone is interesting to by my Carbonado 145 (ST, 89,9g), please contact me with pm.
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Leftyy Leftyy wrote:

I have now played with the Carbonado 145 for about two weeks and this is what I have experienced
I agree with many of your thoughts about the blade Giangt and I feel that we share the same picture of the blade. I really like the design and as you wrote the shaft is a little rough which really gave me a good grip even after my hands got a little sweaty. My blade weight 92 grams which I think is a good weight even though I know that it’s very personal.

I’m playing with Bluefire M1 on both forehand and backhand and I think this was a great combination with the Carbonado. The blade was a little faster then I was thinking from reading other reviews but it still had great control in both the open game and when It comes to serve and returns. 
I think it worked good away from the table where I could get full use of the power in the blade, I think it suits players who prefer standing from mid distance and outplay the opponent with speed and placement. As you Giangt I could really feel the large sweet spots which I think Stiga really have succeeded with in the new way of mastering with the carbon.

I got a good push and pressure in my block and I felt very stable especially in my backhand block which I’m proud to say is my favourite weapon in matches.

My serve got a little to long in the beginning since it was a little faster then my ordinary racket but after a few tries I could easily modify the difference and get a spiny short serve. This blade has a great balance between speed and control and it works extraordinary when playing short pushes even if it’s a fast offensive blade. Together with my Bluefire I could generate much spin in my serve and returns.

I would also rank this blade as OFF. I have tried both faster and slower Offensive blades but not many blades have succeeded to keep the control as good as the Carbonado 145, I’m really happy with my bought and will as you Giangt use this as my main blade in the future. I have used it with the new poly ball.

Great review Leftyy! Really nice that you have the same impressions as I had with the blade. I think you adjust pretty soon after some sessions with the 145. Then the touch shots, short services and slow spinny loops are made with ease. How is the throw angle with your setup compared to your old?

Edited by Giangt - 04/02/2015 at 8:30am
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 9:41am
what is the wood construction of the blades? I read somewhere Limba. Is it Limba Limba carbon ayous?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

what is the wood construction of the blades? I read somewhere Limba. Is it Limba Limba carbon ayous?

I think it's limba-carbonstuff-ayous-ayous (core)

It's probably right up your street Vic.  Your type of blade.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 10:40am
I sold 2 IF ZLC, one IF ALC, one IF T5000, A Korbel, A Clipper, and 3 Primoracs. Also a Samsonov Alpha. I think I have exhausted the Limba family pretty good and I play with TB ALC for quite some time and don't like anything else any more, but im curious about this carbon and may get one just to try it. 

I just don't know what handle to order. I play with ST, but since I am sure I will be reselling immediately, maybe should get FL, because not many in US play with ST. 

Also, ideally would split the shipping with someone. Shipping is same for one or two..
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 10:40am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

According to yogi_bear's review he states that it is Limba-TeXtreme Carbon-Ayous-Ayous core-Ayous-Textreme Carbon-Limba.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Giangt Giangt wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

According to yogi_bear's review he states that it is Limba-TeXtreme Carbon-Ayous-Ayous core-Ayous-Textreme Carbon-Limba.

Yes, there you go then.

Go on Vic, get one.  It could be the blade which finally turns the limba tide for you.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 3:09pm
So that's not really Innerforce competitor but Samsonov Alpha carbon. I did not like Samsonov Alpha at all, but will order one anyway. 
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 4:21pm
Could somebody compare stiga ebenholz nct v and carbonado 145?
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

Could somebody compare stiga ebenholz nct v and carbonado 145?

I have not tired the Ebenholtz nct V. I will check with my friend if I can borrow it Smile
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2015 at 2:55pm
A few notes on the Carbonado 145:

I tried a 89g Legend FL. I put on a MX-P (max) on FH and T05 (2.1) on BH. I'll mainly compare it to the ubiquitous Viscaria here

1st Impressions: the blade has exceptional balance. Generally, I find set-ups > 185g heavy. This set-up was 192g and just fine for me. As always, Stiga Legend FL handles are great and this one is no exception. 

My initial expectations (before testing) were that the blade would have that typical carbon pingy feel, have low dwell (as carbon is just behind the outer limba layer) and that it would be fast.

However, they were wrong. The blade has a great feel - better than a Viscaria and I preferred the feel to my IF-ALC as well. I think having Ayous as the 2nd wood layer (rather than limba) provides better 'catch' & makes the blade more linear as compared to blades with limba-limba combo. It also has very good feedback even though it does not vibrate much. It is about as stiff as a Viscaria. Or maybe good feel is just a general Stiga blades thing.

The blade has very good dwell - surprisingly more than the Viscaria. It also beats Viscaria handily in the grip department. Because of both these attributes, lifting backspin is very easy - easier than using the Koto-based Viscaria. It also has a good arc for mid-distance play.

Speed-wise, it is about as fast as Viscaria from mid-distance. At the table, perhaps it is a shade slower.

In the short game, I greatly prefer the 145 to the Viscaria because of the better grip (limba) and better & clear feedback of the 145.

In short, it is a very good blade - I prefer this over the Viscaria (with the plastic balls, the grip of the limba-based blades give them a big advantage over koto-based ones so long as the blade isn't too slow) & the Nittaku Acoustic Carbon (which is another limba-based carbon blade albeit slower and with too much of a head-heavy blade balance). Whether it spins better than Viscaria depends on the stroke in question.

It is not too difficult to switch from a Viscaria family blade to this (as it at a similar stiffness & speed level)

Any negatives relative to the Viscaria?: not sure if this is one but there's no absorbing ALC layer here, so on hard hits, you don't have that absorbing feel due to Arylate, just the Ayous 'catch' (which I actually prefer). Of course, the big negative is that you might be among the 5% affected by Stiga QC issues in your blade but if not, then you have something good.

I'm happy my Clipper wood is up for sale - I prefer this blade to that one.

If you like this blade and would prefer carbon as an inner layer, & limba-ayous as the outer 2 layers + a ayous core, then the two blades that come to mind are Hurricane Long V (except that it has ALC instead of Carbon & it is bigger & heavier) and Donic Waldner Senso Carbon (but I've heard that it is head-heavy).

Edited by slevin - 04/16/2015 at 5:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic